Wikiposts

A pack of lies!

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:54 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A pack of lies!

Originally Posted by Midlands Girl
Hello everyone, I stumbled across this site by accident a couple of months ago and think it's great and have enjoyed reading the posts. I returned to the uk in July after spending around 18 months in oz...not because I hated it there but purely because of personal reasons. Anyway I was watching a programme on BBC2 today called 'Wanted Down Under' where British families who are thinking of emigrating to either oz or nz are given a taste of life in those countries for a week. In todays programme a family from Oxford were flown to Brisbane and shown the usual ie fab weather, beaches, massive houses with swimming pools (one of the vendors were expats returning to uk after 10 years). Well what really annoyed me was when they went on to say how much CHEAPER food is in oz compared to the uk and how they have so much more variety and choice over there. I was outraged by this comment because in my experience this clearly was not the case, I found it very expensive compared to the uk (even when shopping in Bi lo) and the choice very poor. Programmes like this just brainwash people into thinking that oz really is the best place to live in on the planet and I think it is so wrong to mislead people with such lies when they are about to make one of the most important decisions in their lives. BTW it's great being back home and shopping at Sainsburys and Tesco...the choice is unbelievable compared to oz and soooo much cheaper. Also I'm going to Dublin soon...only 10 pounds return flight and that includes tax
Cone on people are stupid if they believe that....we make up our own minds...

didn't come here for a better life just a different experience , you only live once to worry about, missing Tescos or Marks and Spencer...for god sake..

and agree they only show the good things...know where is perfect just different it works for some and dont for others..if you keep comparing it to the UK it wont...

but please dont knock people for giving it a go oh and enjoying the difference also

oh and if anyone starts slagging off where I live again....well I have a great big house which I could not afford in the Uk a great bunch of friends and a safer environment for my kids ...but I loved Wellington and Auckland better so a move in the future would be there not the UK....

some people are just stuck in there ways in the UK and wont or cant try anything or embrace a new life...and cant see straight what the Uk is like!!!

ok now I will wait for the whinging
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:09 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Cone on people are stupid if they believe that....we make up our own minds...

didn't come here for a better life just a different experience , you only live once to worry about, missing Tescos or Marks and Spencer...for god sake..

and agree they only show the good things...know where is perfect just different it works for some and dont for others..if you keep comparing it to the UK it wont...

but please dont knock people for giving it a go oh and enjoying the difference also

oh and if anyone starts slagging off where I live again....well I have a great big house which I could not afford in the Uk a great bunch of friends and a safer environment for my kids ...but I loved Wellington and Auckland better so a move in the future would be there not the UK....

some people are just stuck in there ways in the UK and wont or cant try anything or embrace a new life...and cant see straight what the Uk is like!!!

ok now I will wait for the whinging
You may have made up your own mind and made your choice of where to live without the aid of WDU and programmes of that ilk, but there are a number of members on this site that have said otherwise.

Your post has nothing to do with the OP and for some reason, you seem on the defensive. You don't have to explain why you are where you are and no-one here is criticising you, so why not calm down and take the OP for what it was, a rant about someone in Oz comparing food to the UK. That's it, nothing more.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
You may have made up your own mind and made your choice of where to live without the aid of WDU and programmes of that ilk, but there are a number of members on this site that have said otherwise.

Your post has nothing to do with the OP and for some reason, you seem on the defensive. You don't have to explain why you are where you are and no-one here is criticising you, so why not calm down and take the OP for what it was, a rant about someone in Oz comparing food to the UK. That's it, nothing more.

ok bro
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A pack of lies!

I'll not whinge.

I rather like living in various countries and have done several, good to experience old culture as well as observe emerging new cultures. A classic example is Japan, just spent some time there and it was wonderful.

Of the latest two countries, I loved NZ but as a lizard I need warmth and lots of sunshine, hence one of the reasons for the move to OZ.

Odd as it may seem our barometer for food choice is with feta cheese any variety, from any country with any derived flavour.

Got 13 at our local Bi-lo, pretty good as it is a small supermarket.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I'll not whinge.

I rather like living in various countries and have done several, good to experience old culture as well as observe emerging new cultures. A classic example is Japan, just spent some time there and it was wonderful.

Of the latest two countries, I loved NZ but as a lizard I need warmth and lots of sunshine, hence one of the reasons for the move to OZ.

Odd as it may seem our barometer for food choice is with feta cheese any variety, from any country with any derived flavour.

lol...cool , love feta cheese btw....
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:19 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

well said. what was that all about anyway?! heh heh.

There are two big problems with WDU :
a) it only shows the good sides to Oz...not the bad.
b) the shows I have watched seem to present info which is very outdated....I can imagine people back in the UK watching these shows thinking "we can afford a nice big house with a pool near the beach", but then getting a shock when they get off the plane.

Cheshire Karen, yes you are right, it is quite an addictive show ! I think that comes down to our desire to always look for a better standard of life.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:20 pm

I'll not whinge.

oh I would love to go and visit Japan, lucky you.....
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by markallwood
well said. what was that all about anyway?! heh heh.

There are two big problems with WDU :
a) it only shows the good sides to Oz...not the bad.
b) the shows I have watched seem to present info which is very outdated....I can imagine people back in the UK watching these shows thinking "we can afford a nice big house with a pool near the beach", but then getting a shock when they get off the plane.

Cheshire Karen, yes you are right, it is quite an addictive show ! I think that comes down to our desire to always look for a better standard of life.
you mean we cant get a big house with a pool

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:38 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm

ok bro
But I'm a lady.......

I'll not whinge.

Australian Feta is like wet sponge. We don't have Bi Lo here in WA, but we do have a nice deli which stocks Greek Feta. Feta Frittata is a favourite meal in our house.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A pack of lies!

But I'm a lady.......

Australian Feta is like wet sponge. We don't have Bi Lo here in WA, but we do have a nice deli which stocks Greek Feta. Feta Frittata is a favourite meal in our house.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4854/yumck2.gif
True, no-one quites makes feta like the Greeks do and also I might add the Greeks make a pretty darn good yogurt.

A large majority of Australian made food does not even compare to the 'original' pasta is another, which is why we always buy Italian made Barrilla.

In addition the imitation booze, Australian gin, brandy and whiskey to name a few, whilst they are jolly nice there is that peculiar 'something not quite right' taste...............however their beers are very good with Blue Tongue being my favourite tipple at the moment.

I did try some delicious Peroni beer by the bucket load in Italy and even though it is the same booze in Oz.........it just does not taste the same!

However where Oz excels (IMNSHO) is their red wines and NZ in their white wines.

Truly sumptuous and such a bugger to keep searching for that perfect plonk!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:22 pm
'In limboland'

True, no-one quites makes feta like the Greeks do and also I might add the Greeks make a pretty darn good yogurt.

A large majority of Australian made food does not even compare to the 'original' pasta is another, which is why we always buy Italian made Barrilla.

In addition the imitation booze, Australian gin, brandy and whiskey to name a few, whilst they are jolly nice there is that peculiar 'something not quite right' taste...............however their beers are very good with Blue Tongue being my favourite tipple at the moment.

I did try some delicious Peroni beer by the bucket load in Italy and even though it is the same booze in Oz.........it just does not taste the same!

However where Oz excels (IMNSHO) is their red wines and NZ in their white wines.

Truly sumptuous and such a bugger to keep searching for that perfect plonk!
I agree with you on the Greek yoghurt, Barilla and the red wine, but I don't drink spirits, so I wouldn't know about the differences, never heard of Blue Tongue beer and, although I've tried Peroni, I didn't try it whilst in Italy.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

But I'm a lady.......
You're not fooling us SGG
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

NZ in their white wines.
Oooh, my faves are:

Catalina Sounds, Marlborough Sauv Blanc
Shaw & Smith Sauv Blanc, Adelaide Hills
Oyster Bay, another Marlborough Sauv Blanc &
Pelorus, sparkling (another Marlborough )
Leeuwin Estate wines are always beautiful too (WA)

Can you tell I used to work in wine!

What are your faves?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Midlands Girl
Hello everyone, I stumbled across this site by accident a couple of months ago and think it's great and have enjoyed reading the posts. I returned to the uk in July after spending around 18 months in oz...not because I hated it there but purely because of personal reasons. Anyway I was watching a programme on BBC2 today called 'Wanted Down Under' where British families who are thinking of emigrating to either oz or nz are given a taste of life in those countries for a week. In todays programme a family from Oxford were flown to Brisbane and shown the usual ie fab weather, beaches, massive houses with swimming pools (one of the vendors were expats returning to uk after 10 years). Well what really annoyed me was when they went on to say how much CHEAPER food is in oz compared to the uk and how they have so much more variety and choice over there. I was outraged by this comment because in my experience this clearly was not the case, I found it very expensive compared to the uk (even when shopping in Bi lo) and the choice very poor. Programmes like this just brainwash people into thinking that oz really is the best place to live in on the planet and I think it is so wrong to mislead people with such lies when they are about to make one of the most important decisions in their lives. BTW it's great being back home and shopping at Sainsburys and Tesco...the choice is unbelievable compared to oz and soooo much cheaper. Also I'm going to Dublin soon...only 10 pounds return flight and that includes tax
The couple in that programm are really good friends of ours. The irony is that they never wanted to go to Brisbane - they wanted to live in adelaide - but there wasn't an option to go there.
The rental options were a joke - they only had 1 choice!!!!
I could go on................... there was a lot of editing!!!!
They now live happily in adelaide.

Last edited by Nick11; Sep 3rd 2008 at 6:54 pm. Reason: !!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:23 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by rabsody
You're not fooling us SGG
Ssssh, Love30 doesn't know me yet.

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oooh, my faves are:

Catalina Sounds, Marlborough Sauv Blanc
Shaw & Smith Sauv Blanc, Adelaide Hills
Oyster Bay, another Marlborough Sauv Blanc &
Pelorus, sparkling (another Marlborough )
Leeuwin Estate wines are always beautiful too (WA)

Can you tell I used to work in wine!

What are your faves?
No, but I can tell you're a wino.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.