A pack of lies!

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A pack of lies!

I hate these shows too, but in some respects I don't really blame people for believing them.

People tend to trust the media, and indeed they SHOULD be able to, because often it is the main source of certain information that is available to most people.

It's a bit like the way most of the news media portrayed the events of September 11, 2001. Most people automatically believed what they were told by the news, and didn't see any reason to question it.

It is possible to find things out through the internet that newspapers and TV don't tell you, but still not everybody knows where to look and for that matter, a lot of people simply wouldn't see any need to check that what they've seen on TV or wherever is true.

They just assume it is. I'm not sure what the answer is, but certainly the media has a responsibility to be more accurate in how they portray things, especially when it can influence people to make major, life-changing decisions.

Sadly I think the media is mostly motivated by entertainment value, rather than objective and factual content.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:05 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
They don't make the goods in British shops in Sheffield any more either darling.
Yeah, but WE are paying less for the same crap
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Sadly I think the media is mostly motivated by entertainment value, rather than objective and factual content.
Good post.

The media is motivated by advertising revenue, hence entertainment tactics to attract an increasingly apathetic audience (plus obviously the US influence).
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
They don't make the goods in British shops in Sheffield any more either darling.

No they don't, but as there are more people in the UK, they have better buying power and therefore you can buy better quality at lower prices - that's how business works 'darling'
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

coolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Midlands Girl
Hello everyone, I stumbled across this site by accident a couple of months ago and think it's great and have enjoyed reading the posts. I returned to the uk in July after spending around 18 months in oz...not because I hated it there but purely because of personal reasons. Anyway I was watching a programme on BBC2 today called 'Wanted Down Under' where British families who are thinking of emigrating to either oz or nz are given a taste of life in those countries for a week. In todays programme a family from Oxford were flown to Brisbane and shown the usual ie fab weather, beaches, massive houses with swimming pools (one of the vendors were expats returning to uk after 10 years). Well what really annoyed me was when they went on to say how much CHEAPER food is in oz compared to the uk and how they have so much more variety and choice over there. I was outraged by this comment because in my experience this clearly was not the case, I found it very expensive compared to the uk (even when shopping in Bi lo) and the choice very poor. Programmes like this just brainwash people into thinking that oz really is the best place to live in on the planet and I think it is so wrong to mislead people with such lies when they are about to make one of the most important decisions in their lives. BTW it's great being back home and shopping at Sainsburys and Tesco...the choice is unbelievable compared to oz and soooo much cheaper. Also I'm going to Dublin soon...only 10 pounds return flight and that includes tax
I saw that episode last night too. It was the first time i had seen WDU since i got back. Me and my partner were laughing at how they portrayed Brisbane, it almost looked liveable. Camera trickery or what!
And you can't tell me 1 week is enough to give you a push on which country to live in. It took us towards the end of our stay to make a final decision and that was 3 months.
I think that programme is designed to hang a transparent dangling carrot in front of all of us in the UK who think we have it bad.
You certainly don't see such programmes in Australia, it would be considered as treachery!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Come to Perth and drive north towards Dongara. The most boring, desolate, plains of red dirt you will ever see.....with tumbledweed!
Yeah even I don't like it up there, we are heading that way for a week next month and I hate the drive!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Midlands Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I stumbled across this site by accident a couple of months ago and think it's great and have enjoyed reading the posts. I returned to the uk in July after spending around 18 months in oz...not because I hated it there but purely because of personal reasons. Anyway I was watching a programme on BBC2 today called 'Wanted Down Under' where British families who are thinking of emigrating to either oz or nz are given a taste of life in those countries for a week. In todays programme a family from Oxford were flown to Brisbane and shown the usual ie fab weather, beaches, massive houses with swimming pools (one of the vendors were expats returning to uk after 10 years). Well what really annoyed me was when they went on to say how much CHEAPER food is in oz compared to the uk and how they have so much more variety and choice over there. I was outraged by this comment because in my experience this clearly was not the case, I found it very expensive compared to the uk (even when shopping in Bi lo) and the choice very poor. Programmes like this just brainwash people into thinking that oz really is the best place to live in on the planet and I think it is so wrong to mislead people with such lies when they are about to make one of the most important decisions in their lives. BTW it's great being back home and shopping at Sainsburys and Tesco...the choice is unbelievable compared to oz and soooo much cheaper. Also I'm going to Dublin soon...only 10 pounds return flight and that includes tax

I forgot to mention in my original post that being a vegetarian I was even more limited for choice when it came to food shopping and eating out was a joke..I didn't bother after a while. It seriously made me wonder whether Aussies had ever heard of vegetarians. In contrast the choice available at supermarkets and restaurants in the uk is absolutely brilliant.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Midlands Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
This is what I call “The big Aussie Con”

While living in Ireland up until last year I seen adds in the Paper from the Australian government trying to convince people to move out here, it said things like the quality of life is better, jobs are better, wages are better, food is fresher and more choice and that everyone can afford their own home with pool...... what a load of crap!

Food is more expensive here, there is no range at all (sometimes i’m convinced we are in a communist state), quality of life is not better and it’s nearly impossible to own your own home now.

The worse thing is that people fall for this crap and believe those programs and adds only to come out here and be disappointed! I feel sorry for the ones who end up taking their whole families out just to find out it's a big lie!

Oh and I’m so jealous of your 10 pound flight! I really miss the idea of a low cost airline, Australia doesn’t have any – real ones that is! Jetstar and Virgin are low cost service, but high cost tickets.

Mikey
Yes Mikey it's great having Ryanair and Easyjet here and I agree Jetstar and Virgin may be cheaper than other airlines in oz but still expensive. I travelled with Jetstar from Sydney to Melbourne in May and not only was it expensive but the service was pretty poor. I'm looking forward to my trip to Dublin....a great city with great people.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coolio_carl
I saw that episode last night too. It was the first time i had seen WDU since i got back. Me and my partner were laughing at how they portrayed Brisbane, it almost looked liveable. Camera trickery or what!
And you can't tell me 1 week is enough to give you a push on which country to live in. It took us towards the end of our stay to make a final decision and that was 3 months.
I think that programme is designed to hang a transparent dangling carrot in front of all of us in the UK who think we have it bad.
You certainly don't see such programmes in Australia, it would be considered as treachery!
I agree,the Aussies wouldn't put up with anyone even suggesting their country was perhaps not the best thing that god has made.

They have named such places here as "The Sunshine coast" It rains a lot up there.
"The gold coast" sounds luxurious and bursting full of golden delights....It is the Blackpool of Australia with the fights and drug taking to boot.

The thing is this is a superficial shallow land and some people who are shallow and superficial may just love it.

If you have a brain in your head then you will see it for what it is,dull, boring and semi materialistic.
Not better than the UK on many counts.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

I forgot to mention in my original post that being a vegetarian I was even more limited for choice when it came to food shopping and eating out was a joke..I didn't bother after a while. It seriously made me wonder whether Aussies had ever heard of vegetarians. In contrast the choice available at supermarkets and restaurants in the uk is absolutely brilliant.
I think it depends which part of Australia you are talking about. I found eating out as a vegetarian very hard in QLD, but great in Sydney & Melbourne. The latter has whole streets of ethnic restaurants offering masses of vege choices, along with a number of excellent dedicated vege restautants.

As for food shopping: the mentality in Aus is not to eat the ready meals/TV dinners that are so popular in the UK/US (these simply aren't available), but to buy fresh ingredients & cook the meal yourself. It's a totally different style of shopping from the UK which is very 'Tesco-dominated' (ie a one-stop shop with an emphasis on convenience foods).

Personally I found the lack of ready meals really daunting at first, but once I'd discovered the local delis & the Queen Vic market, I started cooking a lot more, and it has to be said, enjoying my food more, too.

It all depends what you are used to & what your priorities are....

G.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I found the lack of ready meals really daunting at first, but once I'd discovered the local delis & the Queen Vic market, I started cooking a lot more, and it has to be said, enjoying my food more, too.

G.[/QUOTE]

ditto, i even have one of those granny trollies, i love shopping for food here now, going round the markets, buying things i dont recognise

But i still miss tesco and asda,mostly i think i miss bumping into people and familiar faces in there.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

G.

ditto, i even have one of those granny trollies, i love shopping for food here now, going round the markets, buying things i dont recognise

But i still miss tesco and asda,mostly i think i miss bumping into people and familiar faces in there. [/QUOTE]

I don't mind cooking fresh, it's the having to go round numerous different shops that gets my goat. If I'm going to spend my time shopping it's going to be for clothes or shoes!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Yeh, sadly. Boring as batshit, but then I thought the drive down to Albany and Esperance was as well. We stopped the car and took a photo of a cow in a field, as it was the first we'd seen since living in WA 8 months. Then we stopped again to take some photos of the Karri Trees before it got dark. After 4 hours into the journey we'd had enough and wish to goodness we hadn't bothered. The caves in Margaret River were nice though, but we've seen better in Majorca.
I really miss seeing farm animals, we lived mid Cheshire, approx 25 miles outside of Manchester and everyday driving we would see cows, sheep etc and local open free farms for the kids were really accessible. Here in Brissy, we end up going to 'Old Macdonalds farm' shows or visiting the zoo/ attractions. Oh hang on, if you drive toward Strathpine, you can see a bunch of very sad looking cows!!!

I confess I was a bit addicted to WTD before coming to Brissie, I too noticed how nobody ever said anything bad about OZ other than the electrician Hutch mentioned. Kind of felt daft not to watch given we would be headed down under shortly. However, it does wonders for the image of OZ in the eyes of UK bods. I know people shouldn't be so gullible but its on the BBC and people kind of falsely give that some kind of KUDOS. I actually agree with Hutch! I did think at the time a lot of them appeared like complete mindless dimwits. Which did make me seriously wonder whether I would like OZ.

For you Granada folks, did anyone see the one with Bob Greaves (Retired Granada News reporter) and his partner (much much younger) thinking of resettling in Cairns? I was transfixed, who would have thought his life would have been so bizarre!

I also watched the one about people wanting to return to the UK, which is even more intriguing as not once did they ever mention any of the things stated on this forum. Food prices, lack of choice, culture. It was always family, friends, and a sense of belonging that made them want to return to UK. Me thinks they not tell the truth or even more sinister were told not to tell the truth!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just a passing comment - you guys may not all be aware of this, but quite a few people from these programmes post on BE, so when commenting on the participants can you bear that in mind
Thanks!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just a passing comment - you guys may not all be aware of this, but quite a few people from these programmes post on BE, so when commenting on the participants can you bear that in mind
Thanks!
My apologies if i have offended anyone. Thanks for pointing that out Pollyanna.

I suppose given how TV works, they could have asked lots of questions and shown concerns that were conveniently edited out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.