Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OZ FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

OZ FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking OZ FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

Ok guys, this is a light thread (I hope) to share info on films (in my case Oz related) that have helped us pass the time and maybe helped in some way.

One that I would say I found outstanding was Wolf Creek - it is "true" backpacker horror film, but it says a lot about the true Oz outback - I just found it stunning, if a bit violent (understatement) . But we saw a lot of that scenery while backpacking/campervanning - OMG. Anyone else seen it ?

The other film I have just watched is Brokeback Mountain (as a result of Heath Ledger's death) and tho we were both dubious, it was stunning. What a waste of a life. What a brilliant film - Totally heartbreaking, although it was not set in Oz, obviously.

Also get a mention are Muriels Wedding and Rabbit Proof Fence.

I love my films and find they help get me thru - any other good ones worth seeing ?

ps - any film recommendations worldwide (not just OZ) gratefully received...........

A xxx

Last edited by alliekate; Feb 7th 2008 at 2:02 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

Originally Posted by alliekate
Ok guys, this is a light thread (I hope) to share info on films (in my case Oz related) that have helped us pass the time and maybe helped in some way.

One that I would say I found outstanding was Wolf Creek - it is "true" backpacker horror film, but it says a lot about the true Oz outback - I just found it stunning, if a bit violent (understatement) . But we saw a lot of that scenery while backpacking/campervanning - OMG. Anyone else seen it ?

The other film I have just watched is Brokeback Mountain (as a result of Heath Ledger's death) and tho we were both dubious, it was stunning. What a waste of a life. What a brilliant film - Totally heartbreaking, although it was not set in Oz, obviously.

Also get a mention are Muriels Wedding and Rabbit Proof Fence.

I love my films and find they help get me thru - any other good ones worth seeing ?

A xxx
Strictly Ballroom - long time since I saw it, but it was funny.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: OZ FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

Yup that was a great one too !!!

And I think Open Water was based on a true story in Oz - only they changed it to he Caribbean (sp) for the film for some reason. Loved that too.

Do like my films...........

A xx

Last edited by alliekate; Feb 7th 2008 at 2:03 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I have another one - Lantana.

It's a murder mystery (), very good. keeps you thinking all the way to the end.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Not heard of that one - aha, one to check out at the Video 2000 (don't hold your breath).

Thanks !

Other favourites are Trainspotting, Fargo, A Simple Plan ......... all sorts really.

And An American Werewolf in London - still looking for the Slaughtered Lamb pub ????

A xxx
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

How about 'the Dish' - good for a vaguely factually based comedy. Liked that one!
Also 'Chopper' is a good violent/true gangland type film - watch it, then watch all the various spoof sketches on you tube etc and you will have a great laugh!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

The Dish

The Castle
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:40 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

The Sheralee, brilliant Aussie movie.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE Wolf Creek. Strictly Ballroom is good, as is Muriel's Wedding.

The best though has to be ..... Picnic at Hanging Rock- a classic
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: OZ FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

Yes yes yes !!!!!!!!!!

The Dish and Picnic at Hanging Rock mean so much to me. . We had both on VHS and chucked them before our move - very pissed off about it. :curse:

The others I will have to investigate............ Did enjoy Chopper tho..........

I remember buying Picnic for £4.99 at safeway in the UK - the DVD here today was $35. But I LOVE that film !!!

Any more suggestions ???

A xxxx
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

By the way, been thinking about this today, and I should really have titled it "FILMS WE ENJOY" to include some British classics............yes, which make me homesick

Room with a View, Rebecca, Miss Potter (a bit twee but set in the lakes), Brief Encounter..............

Call me an old softy, but a homesick one....

Allie xx
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FILMS WE'VE ENJOYED.......

Originally Posted by alliekate
By the way, been thinking about this today, and I should really have titled it "FILMS WE ENJOY" to include some British classics............yes, which make me homesick

Room with a View, Rebecca, Miss Potter (a bit twee but set in the lakes), Brief Encounter..............

Call me an old softy, but a homesick one....

Allie xx
Ya old softy

I really enjoyed Trois Coleurs Bleu
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Aha - another to add to my list of "must sees". Thankyou.

I would even watch The Railway Children if it came on TV now. I grew up in the area it was filmed.............

And for a real British fix, Snatch and Trainspotting take some beating.

Still holding out for Wolf Creek as the best horror film I've ever seen tho. Based on "true stories" like Peter Falconio and Ivan Milat. And boy, have we met some weird ozzies who would fit the bill of Mick Taylor. Oh yes indeedy.

I'm still reeling from Brokeback Mountain at the mo - such amazing acting, such an amazing film - what can I say ?

A xx
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Strictly Ballroom is a great film - saw it again a few months ago, and still giggled. Dated, but great characters.

I LOVE Brokeback Mountain - what a terrible waste of a young life Heath ....

And I loved Momento with Guy Pearce ....
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

My absolute favourite Aussie movie has to be Priscilla - Queen of the Desert! It was hilarious! I also loved Muriel's Wedding and Romper Stomper (with Russell Crowe).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.