Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed by moving list

Overwhelmed by moving list

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Overwhelmed by moving list

I've definitely decided I want to leave the US and move back to the UK, but i'm feeling quite overwhelmed by all of the things we're going to have to do to make it possible. DH is American, so we'll have to start the paperwork etc for him, and I don't know a lot about that process yet as we've been dealing mostly with my paperwork to stay in the US. Then we have three pets (2 cats and a dog) that I know have to go through a process to get them home. There's also jobs and housing to think about and by the time we leave we'll have a baby too.

I'm a bit of a planner, so i've started researching and printing things off for DH and I to go through, but it's quite daunting. We don't own a house and will just sell all our possessions, so nothing like that to worry about, but I sometimes wish we could just book a flight and leave.

I'm reading a lot about couples who are both British returning to the UK. Anyone brought an American back with them?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed by moving list

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I've definitely decided I want to leave the US and move back to the UK, but i'm feeling quite overwhelmed by all of the things we're going to have to do to make it possible. DH is American, so we'll have to start the paperwork etc for him, and I don't know a lot about that process yet as we've been dealing mostly with my paperwork to stay in the US. Then we have three pets (2 cats and a dog) that I know have to go through a process to get them home. There's also jobs and housing to think about and by the time we leave we'll have a baby too.

I'm a bit of a planner, so i've started researching and printing things off for DH and I to go through, but it's quite daunting. We don't own a house and will just sell all our possessions, so nothing like that to worry about, but I sometimes wish we could just book a flight and leave.

I'm reading a lot about couples who are both British returning to the UK. Anyone brought an American back with them?
I bought a Tennessee native back with me - see my picture to the left. She's the one with 4 legs.

Don't be daunted - you have the BE one-stop-shop for any advice you need.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
I bought a Tennessee native back with me - see my picture to the left. She's the one with 4 legs.

Don't be daunted - you have the BE one-stop-shop for any advice you need.
Thanks, Dunroving! I like your four legged friend! How expensive was it to get her home? Did she ride in the cargo of a plane?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

just fyi. you may want to look into going on QM2 as others have done.. there are threads on sailing back to homeland w/pets. just an option for you to consider and can be cheaper than flying..
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fulwood
just fyi. you may want to look into going on QM2 as others have done.. there are threads on sailing back to homeland w/pets. just an option for you to consider and can be cheaper than flying..
Fulwood, I'm very interested in this. Is this something you have looked into, or you just know of others on here who have? Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Dunroving! I like your four legged friend! How expensive was it to get her home? Did she ride in the cargo of a plane?
First time (1999), it was just a couple of hundred $$, but then several thousand ££ for quarantine. Last time (2006) it was about $1,000 for the flight, plus several hundred $$ for all the vet and other costs for the PETS ("pet passport") stuff.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:30 pm
Ping-ponger

Fulwood, I'm very interested in this. Is this something you have looked into, or you just know of others on here who have? Thanks for the info!
You might try searching for posts by Calle, as she did this and usually responds to most of the threads that come up about the QMII.

I am pretty sure that it is now a very popular option (so gets booked up early), but is an excellent option for people with multiple pets and/or a family.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

English Bride, I have looked into in depth like some I got my info from Calle whose email was very informative. Just do a search but there are folks doing it. Dogs will be in kennels and you can visit and walk them any time. they have a sole staff member whose only job is the pets. cats don't know about it. you can carry luggage on board as much will fit into your room. like dunroving says it does appear to fill up so it just may be a an option for you.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:53 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi English Bride,

Pleasure to meet you!

My husband is British and I'm the American in this dynamic duo. I've just gone through the UK Settlement Visa process so please feel free to pm me with any questions you might have, although I'm far from an expert.

There's a wealth of information over on the UK-Yankee Visas & Citizenship forum. Their help was invaluable to me.

Organization is definitely the key to a move such as this. We are super-organized weirdos and have worked our butts off but are finding there's still things to do even in these final two weeks.

Welcome aboard!

P.S. We are also sailing on the QM2, but we have no pets. Loads of pet peeves - but no pets.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:05 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I feel for you! We're just going through it (I have a Canadian hubby). The house is sold....and a million things to do......good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:45 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hello English Bride and welcome.....
Take a deep breath and write a To Do list, then have fun crossing through each one dealt with. Nothing is insurmountable; most of us on here have come back from some far flung place at the back of Beyond, so I'm sure we'll have some input. Bringing/taking four-legged beasties is not hard....we took ours to Canada, but she didn't survive long enough to come home with us; she travelled in a specially made crate in the luggage hold, and although cramped and hungry was none the worse when she got to the other end.
Good luck with everything
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Hi English Bride,

I totally understand what you are feeling. Hubby and I are making plans for our return and it seems quite daunting at times.

I'm the American and he's the Brit. We have the UK Visa bit started. I am happy to report that it is a much simpler process obtaining a UK Visa as opposed to the US system. Still loads of paperwork but it seems much more straightforward. I would agree that the UK-Yankee forum would be very helpful to you in sorting through all of the steps.

I would also highly recommend the QM2. We bought our 4-legged babies to the US that way (2 dogs and 1 cat) and were completely impressed with their care. Robinson was our kennel attendant and he was fab!

We will definitely be going back the same way.

Depending upon your timeline, you should start talking to a Cunard representative straight away if you are interested in booking. The Transatlantic crossings fill up quickly and the QM2 is the only Cunard vessel with kennels.

Hubby and I are in the midst of drawing up a timeline now. There are so many details to consider! Planning is key.

Good luck and let us know how your plans progress!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:04 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Hi English Bride,
I too have a dog and a new baby, a Canadian hubby and will be departing Canadian shores by the end of the year! It's tiring and organisation s the key...not my strong point. We have a chalk board in the kitchen with a HUGE list which we are ticking off slowly but surely. It's truly overwhelming some days and with a new baby it can be exhausting.

So, we too have been looking at the QM2. Your baby will need to be at least 6 months old to travel on a cruise ship.

If you want to pm me about babies DO!!! Lots of luck. How pregnant are you? It's an exciting time....get lots of rest.....
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:28 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Rebster
Hi English Bride,

I totally understand what you are feeling. Hubby and I are making plans for our return and it seems quite daunting at times.

I'm the American and he's the Brit. We have the UK Visa bit started. I am happy to report that it is a much simpler process obtaining a UK Visa as opposed to the US system. Still loads of paperwork but it seems much more straightforward. I would agree that the UK-Yankee forum would be very helpful to you in sorting through all of the steps.

I would also highly recommend the QM2. We bought our 4-legged babies to the US that way (2 dogs and 1 cat) and were completely impressed with their care. Robinson was our kennel attendant and he was fab!

We will definitely be going back the same way.

Depending upon your timeline, you should start talking to a Cunard representative straight away if you are interested in booking. The Transatlantic crossings fill up quickly and the QM2 is the only Cunard vessel with kennels.

Hubby and I are in the midst of drawing up a timeline now. There are so many details to consider! Planning is key.

Good luck and let us know how your plans progress!
Hi Rebster

Can I ask how much you paid for your crossing? I'm waiting for a call back for a booking around the end of the year. We're fairly flexible on the dates.....I get travel sick too. Do you think a ferry crossing will turn me green?!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Hi Rebster

Can I ask how much you paid for your crossing? I'm waiting for a call back for a booking around the end of the year. We're fairly flexible on the dates.....I get travel sick too. Do you think a ferry crossing will turn me green?!
I'm so sorry - I cannot find my paperwork with the amounts for the stateroom. We moved back in 2006 so I'm not sure how much help it would be. I will keep looking and if I find it I will post the amounts.

The only thing I've found was the email from Cunard quoting me amounts for the kennels. It was £170 for a small upper cage (30" x 35.5" x 27") and £280 per large lower cage (30" x 35.5" x 36") We had my cat in an upper cage and our two pugs in lower cages - they removed the partition between the two so our dogs were in one very large kennel together.

As for the staterooms, we had a balcony room and I would say not to bother with that. During the crossing it's too windy and cold (even in July) to use the balcony. The only nice part was upon arrival in New York we could see the Statue of Liberty from ours, but everyone could see it from the decks anyway so we weren't special.
Seriously, don't waste your money on a balcony. We certainly won't when we return.

As for sea-sickness, I would think you would be fine. As we were constantly told, the QM2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship. It is nothing like a trip on a P&O ship. It is massive and very stable. Hubby sometimes gets a bit seasick and he had no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.