Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Of those numbers, only water is higher for you than for me. For example, our property taxes are the equivalent of £600 per month, phone and internet is twice what you pay (but we have fast broadband for the business) and our utilities are so sky high I'm not even going to say. Thanks! Very helpful
Sally thanks a lot for responding, I appreciate it, So anyway what shocked me was you said that your property taxes are the eequivalentto £600 per month, hows that possible that would make your house taxes close to $11,000 per year USD ----- surely not?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
For this home and my numbers are in red.
Attachment 99983
Cheers no wonder you are in no hurry to come back to England, Wow if I owned a beautiful house like that I would be over the moon, I dont know if I could loose something so beautiful, and an enormous house like that and such low low low utility bills ---- Wow ---- I know people in Vegas that are paying over $300 per month in just the power bill alone and there house would be half the size as yours, ---- how do you do it?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers no wonder you are in no hurry to come back to England, Wow if I owned a beautiful house like that I would be over the moon, I dont know if I could loose something so beautiful, and an enormous house like that and such low low low utility bills ---- Wow ---- I know people in Vegas that are paying over $300 per month in just the power bill alone and there house would be half the size as yours, ---- how do you do it?
I stay awake at night
The quote for the utilities was from the last bill I got yesterday. For the next three months water and electricity will double at least in July and gas will go to half of what I quoted, like £10 per month.

We both know you gave a very simple list and we stuck to it but it could be expanded and go on for ever. Cable Trashvision for example, is £33.33 per month.

Why leave a nice home for something simple? Again the grass is greener on the otherside. My home has four bathrooms but I only have one bum. My Dw has segregated them so we have one each on each floor. She thinks men are messy when they go to the toilet. We have three bathtubs and a separate walkin shower. We have 5 bedrooms but one is used for my libruary/study/office and the other is a bonus room that is just used for a second TV. That leaves three bedrooms.

You know some of the reasons for a change. One, looking at the view here of the rocks and sand. I have told Americans when they comment of the views here that we have rubbish dumps that look better.

Cheers Mate,

Last edited by cheers; Apr 24th 2011 at 12:31 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

OK vote for me if you agree! Family and culture is more important than materialism and convenience in shopping(higher sales).

Yesterday we saw the hostility to Tesco in Bristol and I was caught in between because I hate, hate violence against the police and property period. On the other had we have Tesco who in my opinion go around and grease hands to open up all over, pay low wages (so I'm told) and they end up ruining towns and villages by closing down the neighborhood shops that people could walk to.
OK. You have my vote!
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday and today have been so warm for England, today its now 78f and blue skies as far as the eye can see
What I have noticed here since I have been back is most of the big food chains here now have air conditioning in there stores, I was walking around Iceland and the co-op yesterday and I could feel it, and it felt lovely just like being in America in the summer, so thats a big improvement right?

If anyone is interested I have been home long enough now to report on the average utility bill costs now ----- thats if you take me and Mum as average,
Now these are for a 3 bedroom terraced house, ---- all the quarterly bills are in now with the latest coming in today which was the sewage bill, and so I have calculated all the bills down to monthly ---- cause thats how we pay our bills in the U.S. all these figures will be in GBP so you will have to roughly convert them to your currencies where you live,

Average Monthly Utility bills ----- 3 Bedroom Terraced, Hampshire, England.

Council tax/property tax (two people)
£121
Water & Sewage
£46
Gas & Electricity
£90
Phone & Internet (land line only) B.T.
£32
Total Per Month,
£289

Important Note,
Our Water & Sewege is on the Meter,

Now to all you House owners out there in other countries like OZZ or Canada or U.S. or else where ---- how do these figures compare to your own?

I guess these figures could help people returning home whether or not they rent or buy,
Hope this helps,
Rodney.
PS now as me and Mum split all bills in half then its quite affordable for each of us, ----- so if there are two people sharing all bills its much better in my opinion.
Your water is higher, phone/internet lower, tax about the same. Given that this is for winter months, your elec/gas would be less than what I pay for winter but mine drops down alot in the summer. I suppose it does there too.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

How does opening more hours make more profit. People only have the income they have, so aren't they going to spend it within the hours the stores are open.

It is the ever competitive corporations all vying for that dollar, so yes we pay, not only money but by losing valuable family and leisure time.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
How does opening more hours make more profit. People only have the income they have, so aren't they going to spend it within the hours the stores are open.
Yes and no. We have discressional income. You can spend it on a concert or more clothes that you don't need.

It is the ever competitive corporations all vying for that dollar, so yes we pay, not only money but by losing valuable family and leisure time.
Agreed
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:27 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Average Monthly Utility bills ----- 3 Bedroom Terraced, Hampshire, England.

Council tax/property tax (two people)
£121
Water & Sewage
£46
Gas & Electricity
£90
Phone & Internet (land line only) B.T.
£32
Total Per Month,
£289

Important Note,
Our Water & Sewege is on the Meter,

Now to all you House owners out there in other countries like OZZ or Canada or U.S. or else where ---- how do these figures compare to your own?

I guess these figures could help people returning home whether or not they rent or buy,
Hope this helps,
Rodney.
PS now as me and Mum split all bills in half then its quite affordable for each of us, ----- so if there are two people sharing all bills its much better in my opinion.
Ours is
roughly converted to pounds
Council tax/property tax
£110
Water & Sewage
£40 water only we have a septic so have repair and replacement costs occasionally
Gas & Electricity
£35 for gas and £35 in winter to £110 in summer for electric
Phone & Internet land line comes with 200 nationwide minutes and high speed internet package
£63
Total Per Month,
£248 in winter to £323 in summer. Summer lasts from April through October Hot hot hot.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 99983
Nice house cheers, it's big though we could never afford to cool it.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Sally thanks a lot for responding, I appreciate it, So anyway what shocked me was you said that your property taxes are the eequivalentto £600 per month, hows that possible that would make your house taxes close to $11,000 per year USD ----- surely not?
It does cost a lot on the East coast I hear New Jersey is even worse, people are paying more in property taxes each month than mortgage, crazy. Mine are low due to Prop 13 which caps what the they can increase each year, it used to be they re assessed each year and charged market value, pricing people out of homes that were payed off.
I hear there are some that would like to do away with prop 13 that would price us out of our home of 17 years.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Apr 24th 2011 at 12:35 am.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Heres our little place, half of it is garage
Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-im000058.jpg Dh took these while the grass was still green before he painted the place yellow with white trim. That was a long job, he just finished it over the winter.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag

Well said and I totally agree with you, Goldcoast, as I said previously I worked in a 24 hours store, I think our front doors were closed 48 hours a year, of course now they open for thanksgiving too.

Actually once a store opens 24 hours others follow, scared they are losing sales to others, they certainly dont care about their employees lives, thats not an issue.

I thought opening all those hours was a bit risky, we ran a stocking and pricing crew anyway so Management figured they might as well have a checkstand open and make some money, here's the risky bit, there was only a handful of us, once the bars shut people would wander in, some were not the most honest and would walk around for a long time, we didn't have the staff to keep our eyes on them, so I'm sure things walked.

We also had to be careful of boxes left on the floor we didn't need any accident claims...
Previous to being open 24 hours we would stock the whole store with a truckload of groceries then pick up at the end of the night, It was quicker, of course being open slowed us down, you cant have it all ways...

We used to also get some food stamp customers who were too ashamed to shop in the daytime.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:24 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 99983
Your numbers are insanely cheap for such a huge house! I need to live in whatever state you live in
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:32 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Well to change the subject I just sent my 17 year old son off to Prom How did that happen? I didn't even know I was having him when we moved to this house. He looked so hansom in his suit and his girlfriend is adorable I know I won't sleep till he gets home, so not much sleep for me tonight, maybe early morning.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:33 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - and when we saw an accountant about a tax question last year, he said our taxes were cheap for the area We live just outside a very posh little town - if we were inside that town, our taxes would literally double.

Our utilities bills are equally insane. My house is nowhere near as grand as cheers' house, but it's old and so in the winter it's hard to heat and in the summer it's impossible to keep cool. The bills average out at about $700 a month although they're higher in winter and lower in summer. I'll be the first to admit I like to be warm, but even so, that's nuts.

We work our asses off and we run a pretty successful little business, but costs are so high here that we still have nothing like the lifestyle our friends in England enjoy. We rarely go out for dinner or to a concert. We buy very little for ourselves and the trip back to the UK last year was our first holiday in years.

This is why I keep saying that talk of 'US cost of living' is nutty. It varies so much from state to state. Cheers' house would cost $2.5M here (at least). His property taxes would be $20K plus and he'd have ridiculous heating costs.

We thought of moving somewhere cheaper, but having traveled around the US, we know that nowhere else suits us as well culturally. It's NY or England for us. (and thankfully it will be England! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.