Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I didn't go to school in Macc...I'm a Sheffield lass.
Ah sorry. Got it in my head you were talking about schools. Duh!!
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-39.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The "whole world" can trade with the UK now.

I see one "unintended consequence" of the referendum and the consequent collapse of the pound is that the income requirements for non-EU spouses are now considerably less in non-pound terms. It would be hilarious if an effect of the vote is an increase in non-EU immigration.
Not to mention the couple of million expat Brits living in Spain. Those that can't deal with the sterling devaluation might well come "home". Angry and dependent on benefits.

Unintended consequences are not very uncommon, (Ask Boris et al).
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
We just got back from England. Spent time with family in Surrey for a while, staying in the Epsom area. We then spent time in Rye and Eastbourne. Drove all around Kent and East Sussex. We went to Whitstable, Canterbury, Dover, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Rye, Camber Sands, Eastbourne, Battle, Brighton, Beachy Head, Rottingdean and Lewes.

I had forgotten how pretty Kent and Sussex are. The Sovereign Harbour area at Eastbourne is lovely - a great retirement area if you have the money. We also enjoyed Whitstable very much. Great shopping at Tunbridge Wells! You should definitely check out Kent. The warmest and driest area of the U.K.

We go off the beaten track, and go down little country lanes. Very pretty area, Never seen so many rabbits!

We spent last week caravanning in Dymchurch and also explored that area as well as East Sussex, did not quite get to Eastbourne, ran out of time. We have purchased a National Trust membership and spent a great deal of time exploring the homes which we love. Well worth the price, I think we have seen about 25 places out of the 500. A couple of months ago we did Dorset at Charmouth caravanning and explored part of Devon and Dorset coast. Love Dorset. We do like Kent but I find it a bit busy. We are going to the Whistable Festival on 21st July with friends for 3 nights sharing a cottage so looking forward to that. Everywhere we go I keep looking out for possible other retirement spot as I miss the sea but when we come back to our house here in South Bucks, we realise just how nice it is also staying in the Chilterns. UK has so many beautiful places and yes retirement is great because I aim to see everyone of them before I die! Forget about rest of the world! Done most of that so happy to be here in England. Brexit did scare me a bit but now I am also embracing the idea and feel we need to move forward and reu ite the country. I am also looking forward to a female prime minister for a change. Thanks Rodney for resurrecting this thread even if it started out again a bit heated.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
We spent last week caravanning in Dymchurch and also explored that area as well as East Sussex, did not quite get to Eastbourne, ran out of time. We have purchased a National Trust membership and spent a great deal of time exploring the homes which we love. Well worth the price, I think we have seen about 25 places out of the 500. A couple of months ago we did Dorset at Charmouth caravanning and explored part of Devon and Dorset coast. Love Dorset. We do like Kent but I find it a bit busy. We are going to the Whistable Festival on 21st July with friends for 3 nights sharing a cottage so looking forward to that. Everywhere we go I keep looking out for possible other retirement spot as I miss the sea but when we come back to our house here in South Bucks, we realise just how nice it is also staying in the Chilterns. UK has so many beautiful places and yes retirement is great because I aim to see everyone of them before I die! Forget about rest of the world! Done most of that so happy to be here in England. Brexit did scare me a bit but now I am also embracing the idea and feel we need to move forward and reu ite the country. I am also looking forward to a female prime minister for a change. Thanks Rodney for resurrecting this thread even if it started out again a bit heated.
Wow feelbritish you are really seeing a lot of places in our beautiful country, good for you, just like you I have also seen a lot of the world, and also lived in Australia, Canada and USA for a total of 40 years, I love being at home now retired and looking after my 97 year old Mum, been back in my home town of Portsmouth now for five & half years, still loving every day here, and like you I'm not at all interested in seeing any more of the world, Ive seen a big chunk of it and thats enough for me, I'm 71 now and would love to see a lot of places in the UK that I have never seen, but its not possible, Mum's health prevents her from traveling anymore, but I'm quite happy in my life and have no regrets,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 3:12 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, traffic in the SE is horrendous. We stick to the back roads, because of the scenery. Husband (USC) is a great driver, and you would think he was a Brit driving around!

I went to school camp (tent) in Charmouth many moons ago. I was in Dorchester two years ago visiting a friend, and we drove through there to Weymouth, and also went to Lyme Regis, Swanage, Bournemouth, Poole, etc. I have family in Bournemouth. I really like Dorchester, but the property prices there are dreadful! Two different train lines there, which is good. I took the train from Bristol to Dorchester that time.

Hubby likes the UK, but not too keen on the weather! The parking on the street also drives him crackers. We vowed to have fish and chips once, but I think we had them about four times!

PS. When in Surrey, the whole family of us went to the National Trust Polesden Lacey house in Dorking. Very nice day out on a sunny day, so that you can enjoy the gardens.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Andy Murray won the mens singles final at wimbledon today, great game it was too,
Old Jul 11th 2016, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well Andy Murray won the mens singles final at wimbledon today, great game it was too,
Surprised you'd want to celebrate a win by Scotland's Andy Murray.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Brits won the mixed doubles, the Mens Wheelchair singles and doubles and the Womens wheelchair doubles.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

The street parking also really gets to me. When they built our housing estate in the 60/70's they put in a small integral garage to fit a mini and one space in front of house and the cars on the road were not like now. Our retired neighbours next to us have 1 space dont use garage and park 3 cars between them on road, most people have two at least so where do they park, all on the pavements meant for walking! I would like to move somewhere quiter but OH loves it here. Some houses in town have no parking,opening straight onto road and double yellow lines. First thing we did to our front was to take away the muddy awful weedy grass and open up our driveway right up to neighbours property and put down aggregate stones with some nice pots and now we have parking for 3 cars, even though we only have 1 small one but at least friends visiting have somewhere to park.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

The street parking also really gets to me. When they built our housing estate in the 60/70's they put in a small integral garage to fit a mini and one space in front of house and the cars on the road were not like now. Our retired neighbours next to us have 1 space dont use garage and park 3 cars between them on road, most people have two at least so where do they park, all on the pavements meant for walking! I would like to move somewhere quiter but OH loves it here. Some houses in town have no parking,opening straight onto road and double yellow lines. First thing we did to our front was to take away the muddy awful weedy grass and open up our driveway right up to neighbours property and put down aggregate stones with some nice pots and now we have parking for 3 cars, even though we only have 1 small one but at least friends visiting have somewhere to park.
We have a driveway (of sorts) but no car. However, Dad is here at the moment and he's got a rental car (Ford Focus) which fits....barely. The drive is also ramped up to the street and he's passed the comment that it would be hell on the car's clutch long term. Hopefully we'll be out of here by the time we can afford our own car. Meanwhile, the sidewalk outside serves as a car park for the next street.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Surprised you'd want to celebrate a win by Scotland's Andy Murray.
Are you kidding? I think Scotland is a lovely place, I went there on a short visit for two days in 1962

Scotlands great!!! I just can't stand that fool whats her name? eh oh yeah Nicholas Sturguen talk about a turn off the Guy before her was a twerp too, but at least his voice was a little easier on the old ears
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Are you kidding? I think Scotland is a lovely place, I went there on a short visit for two days in 1962

Scotlands great!!! I just can't stand that fool whats her name? eh oh yeah Nicholas Sturguen talk about a turn off the Guy before her was a twerp too, but at least his voice was a little easier on the old ears
She seems pretty popular in Scotland, no? Remind me of the results of the last general election in Scotland?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

She seems pretty popular in Scotland, no? Remind me of the results of the last general election in Scotland?
Nicola Sturgeon has what some (or many) of the English politicians lack - backbone!! She is a feisty little lady!!!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now on the other hand I really like Ruth Davidson, Scotland's conservative leader, she is a great speaker, and a powerful politician who really and truly believes in what she is talking about, does not hide anything, she is openly gay, and she calls a spade a spade, if I was a Scotsman I would vote for her in Scotland's next general election, she would make a wonderful First Minister.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I drove to Los Angeles on Monday and back yesterday. For the doctors appointment.
Long way. 846 miles round trip.
Lots of people traveling on that road.
The temperature was about 107.
I feel drained.
Home to rest.
I hope everyone is OK?
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.