Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 13th 2015, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
I think in America to this very day most Americans that drink (tea) usually boil there water in a kettle on the stove!!!!
I've seen some microwave a cup of water and then put a teabag in it. Totally unacceptable
Old Sep 13th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
I've seen some microwave a cup of water and then put a teabag in it. Totally unacceptable
Yes I've seen a lot of that as well (ugh). I remember a number of years ago going to visit an old family friend in Indiana. She was very poorly (heart failing) and that's how she used to make tea the odd time she had it. Well I found a stove-top type tea kettle in the back of one of the cupboards and out it came to make a "proper cuppa". Over the weeks I stayed with her, she really looked forward to our mid-afternoon tea break and would say "Do you think it's time for tea yet?" so I'd set to and get our brew on the go. I got a kick out of that, this lady had been a die-hard coffee drinker all her life and now she was enjoying tea. Sadly, she died very shortly after that visit but that is what I'll always remember about her.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 5:43 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

It will get better huni, no matter what goes on in our lives we should never lose hope, never forget our dreams and dream BIG.That day will come

Originally Posted by fulwood
Perth, good luck with your move whenever it may be.. I so want to be back in the UK NOW! But I have to be patient and wait until finances are in order. Seems work a lot but little chance to save money for move back. It will get better or so I have to keep telling myself..
Old Sep 16th 2015, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Mommy in de Foothills, did the fires get to your old area in California?
Does your Mom still like her new digs in Llandudno?
I fell out of bed a week ago when I was sound asleep and I am suffering, with a big S, with my ribs being separated. I had a real miserable night last night. Doctor said it may take 6 weeks to heal.
I hope all is well. Is your hubby working?
Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2015, 9:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I fell out of bed a week ago when I was sound asleep and I am suffering, with a big S, with my ribs being separated. I had a real miserable night last night. Doctor said it may take 6 weeks to heal.
Cheers
Yes it's pretty close to our old place. Thick smoke all over and the schools are all closed as a lot of teachers live uphill so are in the evacuation area.
It's so sad to see all the pictures my friends are posting on facebook.
Our little town is home to lots of evacuees, the churches and vets hall are full of beds and a clothes and food bank for them.
Mum is loving her new place. We love it too. Dh says we might live there one day.
Heal quickly, it sounds very painful, take your painkillers.
Dh is still home seeing to Dd. Ds went back to college so he sees to him too.
I have decided to reactivate my Nursing PIN, so I'll be a staff nurse again, I'm a health care support at the moment, and the hours are too much. As a staff nurse I can do less hours for the same money.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Sorry to hear of your predicament cheers. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Yes I've seen a lot of that as well (ugh). I remember a number of years ago going to visit an old family friend in Indiana. She was very poorly (heart failing) and that's how she used to make tea the odd time she had it. Well I found a stove-top type tea kettle in the back of one of the cupboards and out it came to make a "proper cuppa". Over the weeks I stayed with her, she really looked forward to our mid-afternoon tea break and would say "Do you think it's time for tea yet?" so I'd set to and get our brew on the go. I got a kick out of that, this lady had been a die-hard coffee drinker all her life and now she was enjoying tea. Sadly, she died very shortly after that visit but that is what I'll always remember about her.
Sounds like a lovely memory. I'm sure you brightened her last days.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 12:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mallory
Well, here is a little story for you BEVS.
Oh my goodness. You are obviously fitter than me. I;m tired just thinking about that lost and found tale.

I think we may share the same husband though. We were once on a flight for a 3 month trip away. I know husband well so as the first long haul came in to land in Hong Kong , I am chanting "Do not forget your small rucksack. Do not forget your small rucksack. Do not forget your small rucksack" which was languishing under the seat and contained all manner of 'important stuff'.

So as we head out of passport control and the like at Hong Kong what did husband discover ? Yes. He had left little much loved rucksack containing important 'stuff' on the plane.

A wifely exercise in keeping a neutral expression and offering helpful hints and tips for regaining rucksack ensued, along with the suggestion that any more of that type of malarky might result in bodily injury to his good self.

Yes , he got it back & did not lose it again....... however he did leave all his toiletries behind when we left Hong Kong.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully so third time. The 20' container left today for the open seas. My little dogs leave on Sunday and I leave Wednesday, 23rd 2015. It is very coincidental that we first arrived in Dallas on September 23, 1972.
I have leased a two story updated semi for two years. Paid six months in advance. With my daughter and son in law having moved to Stratford Upon Avon three months ago....that is a huge comfort for me. 45 minute flight from Belfast to Birmingham just 45 mins and a 45 min train ride to their home. As yet they are able to walk to work for RSC and have no need for a car. Pom now 71, and after my almost fateful accident there, I have some trepidation.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Hopefully so third time. The 20' container left today for the open seas. My little dogs leave on Sunday and I leave Wednesday, 23rd 2015. It is very coincidental that we first arrived in Dallas on September 23, 1972.
I have leased a two story updated semi for two years. Paid six months in advance. With my daughter and son in law having moved to Stratford Upon Avon three months ago....that is a huge comfort for me. 45 minute flight from Belfast to Birmingham just 45 mins and a 45 min train ride to their home. As yet they are able to walk to work for RSC and have no need for a car. Pom now 71, and after my almost fateful accident there, I have some trepidation.
Third time lucky they say Good luck Celtic you leave 6 days before me! Our container arrived in Oxfordshire last week and is now in storage, well furniture is not container we could not keep that locked so have to trust the removal folk.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:58 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh my goodness. You are obviously fitter than me. I;m tired just thinking about that lost and found tale.

I think we may share the same husband though. We were once on a flight for a 3 month trip away. I know husband well so as the first long haul came in to land in Hong Kong , I am chanting "Do not forget your small rucksack. Do not forget your small rucksack. Do not forget your small rucksack" which was languishing under the seat and contained all manner of 'important stuff'.

So as we head out of passport control and the like at Hong Kong what did husband discover ? Yes. He had left little much loved rucksack containing important 'stuff' on the plane.

A wifely exercise in keeping a neutral expression and offering helpful hints and tips for regaining rucksack ensued, along with the suggestion that any more of that type of malarky might result in bodily injury to his good self.

Yes , he got it back & did not lose it again....... however he did leave all his toiletries behind when we left Hong Kong.
For some reason an episode of the Bangkok airport show on TV came to mind reading this, the things people put down and leave behind is quite odd. Always seems to be passports and visas and money etc. Good he go it back so quickly.

Third time's a charm
Old Sep 17th 2015, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Great!!!! so exciting, well this third time looks pretty permanent to me, what with signing up for a two year property rental, whats the monthly rent on that semi?
and having your DD and your SIL just a 45 minute flight away will be lovely for you,
Take care and good luck for #3
Rodney.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
OMG cheers Im so sorry for the pain you must be going through, now as I remember this is not the first time you have fallen out of bed, is there maybe some way that you can make your bed more secure, like for example what comes to mind is the beds they have in hospitals, each side of the bed there are side rails that they just pull up at night when the people are sleeping,
it prevents elderly and other patients from falling out of bed, you can buy these beds for the home too.
Another thing I have just remembered is my mother has this big metal bed grab rail, you just shove the bottom part right under the mattress and it is very secure, it never moves, and hers is 14 inches wide but you can buy all different sizes, its really great, its impossible for her to fall out of bed with the rail always there, and she also uses it to grab hold of to help her get out of bed, without this she would be falling out of bed for sure,
when she was in hospital a couple of years ago after a bad fall that fractured her fema bone, when she was finally discharged after a couple of weeks, the hospital arranged a delivery of this grab rail, no charge, it was from the NHS, but cheers they are not at all expensive, just google bed grab rails, you could probably pick one up from amazon, my Mum's one is placed under the bed in the posistion about where her back is, but you can place it where you want to to suit yourself, they are wonderful!!!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit, wish you all the best in your move back home. Was nice to read that you can rent places that allow dogs! No looking back now ya hear...
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you FeelBritish. Happy landings to you. How long did it take for your container to arrive? I think it takes a little longer to Northern Ireland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.