Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
WOW Curlytops, 70 pounds ---- fantastic!!!! Congrats, how did you do it? and how long did it take you to loose that much? I take my hat off to you.
Thanks Rodney. I reckon it took me a little over a year - I remember weighing myself shortly before we left Scarborough and then the bathroom scales got lost in the move. When they surfaced earlier this year, I was about 30 lbs. lighter. I've weighed myself every couple of weeks ever since and it's slowly coming off. I cut my portions of food and taught myself to eat them with less added salt. I also ask myself the question: am I really hungry or will I feel bloated and gross after eating this. I've got a fair bit to come off yet but I now weigh less than I did when I came home. My blood's back up again now so I'm feeling a bit stronger and getting out walking more so that helps. I don't deprive myself - if I want a biccie with my cuppa in the afternoon I have it and enjoy it. Every now and again I treat myself to some crisps but it's just a tiny little bowl now, not a bag full and I'm quite happy with that.

Re the ITV contests, I've entered those from time to time but enter free on the website. I'm not driving a new car yet so you can guess the outcome so far. Funny though the junk mail folder just keeps getting bigger and bigger so I'm sure my email address is getting passed on.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Thanks Rodney. I reckon it took me a little over a year - I remember weighing myself shortly before we left Scarborough and then the bathroom scales got lost in the move. When they surfaced earlier this year, I was about 30 lbs. lighter. I've weighed myself every couple of weeks ever since and it's slowly coming off. I cut my portions of food and taught myself to eat them with less added salt. I also ask myself the question: am I really hungry or will I feel bloated and gross after eating this. I've got a fair bit to come off yet but I now weigh less than I did when I came home. My blood's back up again now so I'm feeling a bit stronger and getting out walking more so that helps. I don't deprive myself - if I want a biccie with my cuppa in the afternoon I have it and enjoy it. Every now and again I treat myself to some crisps but it's just a tiny little bowl now, not a bag full and I'm quite happy with that.

Re the ITV contests, I've entered those from time to time but enter free on the website. I'm not driving a new car yet so you can guess the outcome so far. Funny though the junk mail folder just keeps getting bigger and bigger so I'm sure my email address is getting passed on.
I hear you curleytops on the contests ----- I havent got a new car yet either, not that it would do me any good ----- not having a UK licence
but I also enter online for free, but some contest wont allow the online thing so they give you an option to mail your entry in, and it does cost me a stamp but I suppose thats not bad,
Keep up the good work me dear on loosing your weight, I need more motivation to take more walks then I do, trouble is I dont like walking in the rain ----- after all Im not Gene Kelly
Old Dec 10th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Three days without any posts??
Ill have to check London to see if there is any rain
Old Dec 10th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I am busy writing my Christmas cards, starting with the ones to go overseas--a tradition I feel strongly about but which requires quite a lot of time each year!

Plus, did not want to weigh in (!!haha) on the topic at hand, weight loss and gain, because I was feeling ever so smug about having lost a chunk of weight, only all of a sudden it is piling back on again…and I'm not sure why, well I it's just from nibbling a tiny bit more here, a tiny bit more there….plus change of seasons I think….but I must get a grip!

Let's change the topic!

Am I alone in this antiquated Christmas card habit?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good way to see if it is raining in London.

Abbey Road - Crossing Cam
Old Dec 10th 2014, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

What Ive noticed on UK telly, just about every channel I watch I see ads for competitions to enter, mostly on ITV channels, and every show has there own,
there is only ever one grand prize that one person could win ranging from £40k and a mercedes, to £80k cash ---- and the latest one is a £200k cash giveaway,
they all have there own little gimmick they invite you to text in your entry at a cost of usually around £1.53 per entry or about the same cost from a landline, so I can see they would make a lot of money from these giveaways, I mean if the prize was even £200,000 and a million people text in there entry thats over £1.5 million ----- leaving a profit of £1,3 million ----- of course they have to allow for there cost of each advert on the telly, you can enter free online, or you can post your entry in to the address they give you,
The reason I mention these promotions in UK is that when I was living in the U.S. I never noticed these things on the telly, but I maybe wrong? does anyone know if U.S. TV has giveaways like this, Just wondered!!!!!

I see one on Velocity Channel for 2 Corvettes but its more of a raffle and not connetced to any TV show were you call in and vote for someone.

I dont see any others, American TV as a rule doesnt give a way much these days.

These ideas have been around for years, we used to do the Revellie Win a Car contest when we lived in the UK, it was nothing but a good way for them to make a load of cash.

I've won very little in my life and still I have hope for the Lottery and those are the worst odds of all, especially since Oregon added more numbers to pick from...
Old Dec 10th 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
This is a good way to see if it is raining in London.

Abbey Road - Crossing Cam
Thanks. That is what I use.

I was just looking at the BBC videos taken today of the storm in Scotland.
Those waves crashing ashore have to be seen to be believed.

BBC News - 'Weather bomb' hits power and travel in northern UK
Old Dec 11th 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Has anyone been to Bettys Tea Room for afternoon tea? They have several locations up north (York, as an example)
Afternoon tea is £26 or as they say $40 in real money.
Everything about the experience is entising.
I will try and post a photo of the people lined up outside waiting for a table and they recommend booking in advance.
http://issuu.com/bettysandtaylors/do...logoOffsetY=10

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Dec 11th 2014 at 2:14 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 2:26 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone been to Bettys Tea Room for afternoon tea? They have several locations up north (York, as an example)
I will try and post a photo of the people lined up outside waiting for a table and they recommend booking in advance.

Lakeland Cam

Cheers
We went to Betty's tea room in Harrogate last year, and were very underwhelmed. There were coaches full of tourists coming in!

We couldn't wait to get back to the fish and chip shop in Knaresborough!

There is some good shopping in Harrogate though. Just sayin!
Old Dec 11th 2014, 2:55 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Afternoon tea is £26[/QUOTE]

Not a mug of char and a currant bun then?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Lakeland Cam

Cheers
There is a pic of Bettys York location on Lakeland Cam today, We went some years ago, It was Ok but more a ladies thing, they loved it.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Lakeland Cam

Cheers
I've had afternoon tea at Betty's in York.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;11498365

These ideas have been around for years, we used to do the Revellie Win a Car contest when we lived in the UK, it was nothing but a good way for them to make a load of cash.

I've won very little in my life and still I have hope for the Lottery and those are the worst odds of all, especially since Oregon added more numbers to pick from...[/QUOTE]

Hi Fish,
I have won very little in my life too ----- but I will always remember way back in 1996 after living in Reno NV for around 20 years I decided to make the move to the big city Las Vegas, well I got a Job right away at a time share resort, and found a nice apartment to live in, ---- well one day I was relaxing at home and eating my cereal in the morning while listening to my radio station in the back ground, well every day this radio station had a nice give away every day, it was $1,000 and to win it when they said go!!! listeners had to phone in and try to be the 20th caller --- well you can imagine thousands of people all over Vegas constantly pressing there re-dial on there phone, you had to be real fast, well I tried this every day for a month I suppose, it only took a few minutes, and suddenly this particular day I got through and they said I was the 20th caller and I was on air and talking to the DJ and he said congrats I have won $1,000 ----- well that made my day, they took my name and details and I had to go along to the local radio station 2 weeks later to pick up the check!!!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Fish,
I have won very little in my life too ----- but I will always remember way back in 1996 after living in Reno NV for around 20 years I decided to make the move to the big city Las Vegas, well I got a Job right away at a time share resort, and found a nice apartment to live in, ---- well one day I was relaxing at home and eating my cereal in the morning while listening to my radio station in the back ground, well every day this radio station had a nice give away every day, it was $1,000 and to win it when they said go!!! listeners had to phone in and try to be the 20th caller --- well you can imagine thousands of people all over Vegas constantly pressing there re-dial on there phone, you had to be real fast, well I tried this every day for a month I suppose, it only took a few minutes, and suddenly this particular day I got through and they said I was the 20th caller and I was on air and talking to the DJ and he said congrats I have won $1,000 ----- well that made my day, they took my name and details and I had to go along to the local radio station 2 weeks later to pick up the check!!!
Im sure that came in handy, $1000 is a lot of money, Good for you.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Saturday, 2PM
Went to the Target store to pick up a prescription for DW.
Came home.
Glad to be home cause there were too many people out and about. (what do I expect???)
Still got to address those Christmas cards

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.