Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:17 am
  #8101  
Bon Vivant
 
Simon Legree's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia/Arizona
Posts: 2,956
Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123 View Post
Hi cheers, Hmmmm the cheesecake factory restaurant is one place to always avoid, well I guess you wont be going there anymore huh?
I find the main thing I had to get used to when I came home is eating out, I used to cook at home in Vegas most of the time like I do now, but I always went out to eat in Vegas two nights a week on my days off, and I always looked forward to it, and I always went with one of my friends, we had our favorite places that we would like to go, I used to love steak & lobster for $15 at a few local places, and the best place I found for a very good tender T-bone or sirloin steak was the gold coast casino across road from the palms casino, there special was always the 10 ounce sirloin with baked potato and veg, and salad and a glass of beer for $8.99
And the very best prime rib dinner was at Jerrys Nugget in North Las Vegas,
all the locals know its the best, a 10 ounce was $8.99 but then there was the huge 16 ounce prime rib with bake potato which was $11.99, both include salad or soup, they may have gone up in price maybe a dollar by now,
and you will never see places like this include a 15% tip on the bill what a nerve!!! you tip for good service accordingly.
Sorry about the knock on the head your DIL received from the waitress, I hope she is OK now.
I've also had a few very good prime rib dinners at a grubby joint on Koval Lane. It's called Ellis Island. Next to the Motel 6 (that tells you something !) They have a micro brewery on site that puts out a decent pint. The dinner is huge, way over the top, but the steak was top notch, with green beans, a baked spud, a salad and a pint of their own for $8.95 24/7. Hard to beat even though it's not a glitzy place. If I have the misfortune to be in Vegas I make a point of going there.
Simon Legree is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:50 am
  #8102  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: US
Posts: 4,224
cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Simon Legree View Post
I've also had a few very good prime rib dinners at a grubby joint on Koval Lane. It's called Ellis Island. Next to the Motel 6 (that tells you something !) They have a micro brewery on site that puts out a decent pint. The dinner is huge, way over the top, but the steak was top notch, with green beans, a baked spud, a salad and a pint of their own for $8.95 24/7. Hard to beat even though it's not a glitzy place. If I have the misfortune to be in Vegas I make a point of going there.
I think I read that they had closed and it has been knocked down.
Like most locals we avoid the strip area.
cheers is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:56 am
  #8103  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: US
Posts: 4,224
cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123 View Post
Hi cheers, Hmmmm the cheesecake factory restaurant is one place to always avoid, well I guess you wont be going there anymore huh?
I find the main thing I had to get used to when I came home is eating out, I used to cook at home in Vegas most of the time like I do now, but I always went out to eat in Vegas two nights a week on my days off, and I always looked forward to it, and I always went with one of my friends, we had our favorite places that we would like to go, I used to love steak & lobster for $15 at a few local places, and the best place I found for a very good tender T-bone or sirloin steak was the gold coast casino across road from the palms casino, there special was always the 10 ounce sirloin with baked potato and veg, and salad and a glass of beer for $8.99
And the very best prime rib dinner was at Jerrys Nugget in North Las Vegas,
all the locals know its the best, a 10 ounce was $8.99 but then there was the huge 16 ounce prime rib with bake potato which was $11.99, both include salad or soup, they may have gone up in price maybe a dollar by now,
and you will never see places like this include a 15% tip on the bill what a nerve!!! you tip for good service accordingly.
Sorry about the knock on the head your DIL received from the waitress, I hope she is OK now.
I'm trying to very careful with food because we see the doctor tomorrow. I need to lose about twenty pounds and I'm heading in the right direction.
DIL says she feels fine 24 hours later.
I'm aware that there is tip is included in some restaurants for large groups.
cheers is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2013, 2:00 am
  #8104  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: US
Posts: 4,224
cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

So how is the heat in UK now? I think I read that the heat was going away.

We have driven down to Los Angeles and it is suppose to be cooler here.
I don't know because we have the air conditioning on.
Cheers
cheers is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:00 pm
  #8105  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 742
J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 View Post

extract.....
I know it's no worse than other UK towns -
When I stayed in Frome this time I stayed in a different area, slightly out of the main center, and had a peaceful experience. Most of the problems seem to be located in the town center where the pubs and night clubs are. Depending on where you live, your experience will vary, which is no surprise. Which is what Rodney said about Pompey - turn the corner and things change.
I agree with this sentiment.

I live in a suburbs village. I choose to use the bus into town. If I go in the mornings then mostly I see older folks that are as pleasant as can be. Today on my 3 hour town visit I heard no cuss words.
Later in the day and on Saturdays the micro-demographics are different, the yobs hang out in the bus staion and the experience is more troublesome.

If I never used the bus / bus station or even the town, instead choosing to shop by car at the out of town stores or have delivered groceries, if I drove out to the fine dining pubs, the elitists areas or the empty countryside / coast then I would never be exposed to the coarser end of life here.
J.JsOH is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:46 pm
  #8106  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by J.JsOH View Post
I agree with this sentiment.

I live in a suburbs village. I choose to use the bus into town. If I go in the mornings then mostly I see older folks that are as pleasant as can be. Today on my 3 hour town visit I heard no cuss words.
Later in the day and on Saturdays the micro-demographics are different, the yobs hang out in the bus staion and the experience is more troublesome.

If I never used the bus / bus station or even the town, instead choosing to shop by car at the out of town stores or have delivered groceries, if I drove out to the fine dining pubs, the elitists areas or the empty countryside / coast then I would never be exposed to the coarser end of life here.
Whenever I catch the bus to/from town during a weekday, I am usually about 20 years younger than the average age of everyone else on the bus - and that's saying something! I did notice yesterday about 6 plastic bottles rolling around the floor - maybe left by the "early crowd".
dunroving is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:50 pm
  #8107  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 742
J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
Whenever I catch the bus to/from town during a weekday, I am usually about 20 years younger than the average age of everyone else on the bus - and that's saying something! I did notice yesterday about 6 plastic bottles rolling around the floor - maybe left by the "early crowd".
Maybe the bottles were left by associates of this observation: http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/local...30am-1-5331031

Something else that changes by day / time is the illegal overtaking at roundabouts previously mentioned in this thread.
On a trunk road I use I see roundabout overtaking often on weekday midmornings. I can't recall it happening on my afternoon return journey and definately never seen it on weekends.
J.JsOH is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:58 pm
  #8108  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: The sunshine state
Posts: 1,354
Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by J.JsOH View Post
Maybe the bottles were left by associates of this observation: http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/local...30am-1-5331031
Could have been this lot............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bj_fSp5VT4
Bud the Wiser is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:54 pm
  #8109  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Now Devon
Posts: 945
aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
Whenever I catch the bus to/from town during a weekday, I am usually about 20 years younger than the average age of everyone else on the bus - and that's saying something! I did notice yesterday about 6 plastic bottles rolling around the floor - maybe left by the "early crowd".
Generally on the buses in Torquay I'm surrounded by other oldies, with a smattering of young mums hauling prams and walking toddlers. It says something about our limited mix.

However from Easter onwards through the summer, my bus route seems to be popular with English language students from Europe who pile themselves in. It can be quite crowded at times, but they give an air of youth and energy. However none seem to comprehend that they should offer their seats which have elderly and disabled notices. But then, British teenagers don't either, but thankfully in double deck buses they race up the stairs most of the time.
aries is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:23 pm
  #8110  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: US
Posts: 4,224
cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Here is a step by step journey home and it has a lot of photographs.

http://mylifeinpicturesfromthestart.wordpress.com/

Cheers
cheers is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:08 pm
  #8111  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Hello everybody, just to let you know I am still alive living in England.

All is well here in the UK and I have been enjoying our heatwave.

Take care everybody and I hope all your dreams come true.
Beedubya is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:30 pm
  #8112  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,197
between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Hi Beedubya, great to hear from you! So glad all's well.

Able to update us? How are you doing? Have your adult children managed to visit from Australia?
between two worlds is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:16 pm
  #8113  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: US
Posts: 4,224
cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
Hello everybody, just to let you know I am still alive living in England.

All is well here in the UK and I have been enjoying our heatwave.

Take care everybody and I hope all your dreams come true.

and now for the rest of the story!

Tell us what's up because you are missed on here, for example, are you still at the same employment?

Cheers
cheers is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:08 pm
  #8114  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
Posts: 3,208
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers View Post
Here is a step by step journey home and it has a lot of photographs.

http://mylifeinpicturesfromthestart.wordpress.com/

Cheers
Cheers I love your story and pictures of all the places you went to, WOW you certainly did travel around a lot, absolutely great post, whats it like being home after your taste of what the U.K has to offer? I bet its nice to sleep in your own bed. its always good to be home,
I rented a dvd yesterday, bruce willis, lay the favorite!!! it was good, I really enjoyed it, the whole movie was made and set in my home town Las Vegas.
jasper123 is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:22 pm
  #8115  
BE Forum Addict
 
islandwoman120's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,139
islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123 View Post
Cheers I love your story and pictures of all the places you went to, WOW you certainly did travel around a lot, absolutely great post, whats it like being home after your taste of what the U.K has to offer? I bet its nice to sleep in your own bed. its always good to be home,
I rented a dvd yesterday, bruce willis, lay the favorite!!! it was good, I really enjoyed it, the whole movie was made and set in my home town Las Vegas.
Rodney - you got caught out by the posting from Cheers, just as I did. It was not HIS trip, but someone else's! I had to read the postings multiple times to make sense of it....
islandwoman120 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.