Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Story number 2, then I am off to do some work!

I was Googling gardening jobs in the UK last night and there are a ton.

One job said gardener at a Cotswolds Manor House, so I investigated. It was to join a team of gardeners at Dodington Park Estate so I did a little research (as I am wont to do).
Most recent owner James Dyson - net worth 1.1 billion pounds. It's the fellow who invented the Dyson cyclonic vacuum!

You might get a smile out of the fact that one of my gardening clients here on the island is first wife of Phil Collins (Andrea) and we spend alot of time talking about England, which she misses too. But she has this incredible house on the top of Mount Seymour on a lot of land which she feels would be difficult to replace in the UK. She would be a good reference though .
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Indeed--one person CAN make a difference.

Wow, that's great about the Shriners--have heard of them but wasn't sure what they did. Fantastic.

Tina
Oh indeed, yes! It takes only a single thought to begin to change the world.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui

One job said gardener at a Cotswolds Manor House, so I investigated. It was to join a team of gardeners at Dodington Park Estate so I did a little research (as I am wont to do).
Most recent owner James Dyson - net worth 1.1 billion pounds. It's the fellow who invented the Dyson cyclonic vacuum!

You might get a smile out of the fact that one of my gardening clients here on the island is first wife of Phil Collins (Andrea) and we spend alot of time talking about England, which she misses too. But she has this incredible house on the top of Mount Seymour on a lot of land which she feels would be difficult to replace in the UK. She would be a good reference though .
Excellent reference! Go for it, Linda!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Conversation at supermarket yesterday between myself and the 20 something young man serving me:
He: "That will be $7.50 Madam".
Me: (smiling) "Madam? Are you English?"
He: "Yes I am".
Me: "Where are you from?"
He: "London. What about you?"
Me: "Bedford. It used to considered as quite a way from London; 50 minutes on the train, but now with the fast trains it is a commuter town for London".
He: "Oh not any more. Bedford is now considered part of London".

Oh, maybe it's because I'm a Londoner....

I have been working on my family history research for the last two years - on and off - and am amazed that many of the small towns and villages have been gobbled up and are now "London" or "Greater London". It seems London is now half of the south of England
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I have been working on my family history research for the last two years - on and off - and am amazed that many of the small towns and villages have been gobbled up and are now "London" or "Greater London". It seems London is now half of the south of England
Indeed. The county of Middlesex no longer exists. Even back in the 60s when my daughter was born in Ruislip, it was considered the London Borough of Hillingdon.
One day England will be London, or is it: London will be England. He he he.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I were two goody two shoes and had no dessert.

"Pudding" please, so common
No, no sirree!! "Pudden" is common, dessert is posh.

As is the way I talk now, I say lunch instead of dinner, and dinner instead of tea.

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 20th 2011 at 8:50 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Now that would surely be one great reference!!!!

I bought some old magazines today at Lady Heyes including "The Lady" well I have to tell you there are some fantastic jobs in there for you!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Thanks so much for posting this. Your posts are so positive and inspirational, just the antidote I need for all those saying "why are you moving back to England, are you nuts??" They just don't get it...
They really dont get it do they !!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

If you get that job, can you have a word with him about how damn heavy his vacuum cleaners are? Thank you!

I didn't know you were a gardener. What a cool job! I'd rather be the ex-Mrs Collins though - the salary is probaby better I do love gardening but the one I have now is too much work. (the whole neighborhood is troubled by invasive vines and I seem to spend half of every year fighting them). In the UK, I want a little patch of lawn with some borders and that's it.

bandrui, have you got any closer to deciding where you'd like to live when you go back?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Are you a vegetarian?
I'd probably call myself a guilt-ridden pescatarian. I imagine the seafaring creatures will also become safe from me at some point, maybe when I move back to UK where there are reportedly many more vegetarian options. I'll probably take some vege cooking classes.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL
Sounds like a perfect Sunday in England! Love the pub. Did they have a wood fire going? What did you have for lunch?

We didn't go to Polesdon Lacey today, but instead went to Hughenden, home of Benjamine Disraeli. Absolutely LOVED it. Took lots of pictures which will be on my FB page later.

Had lunch in the tearooms there which are located - as is so often the case in many National Trust properties - in the old stables. We had roast pork (w/applesauce), roast potatoes and veg (broccolli, cauliflower & carrots) - all smothered with lovely gravy.
Sounds like a wonderful day out. We had almost the exact same lunch at the Teignmouth Yacht Club with the exception of broccoli which was replaced by cabbage. For pud I had Lemon Meringue Pie and Al (partner) a Knickerbocker Glory.
Yacht clubs quite often serve wonderful food at very reasonable prices.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi Tina,

Hmmm, well ... that's what my Mom always said was the cause and she's no longer around so I can't ask her.

The Wiki article says this:
And although thalidomide was never approved for sale in the United States, millions of tablets had been distributed to physicians during a clinical testing program. It was impossible to know how many pregnant women had been given the drug to help alleviate morning sickness or as a sedative.
Thalidomide was indeed sold in the USA, Canada and other countries beside the UK. It has a very interesting history. See Wikipedia.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Watch your language.

Did you get any numbers last night?
Thanks for the reminder I forgot to check it's sitting in my bag I might be rich and not know it!!

OK I checked, not one single number right. Boooo!

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Mar 20th 2011 at 11:13 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thanks for the reminder I forgot to check it's sitting in my bag I might be rich and not know it!!

OK I checked, not one single number right. Boooo!
I got a lottery ticket - $5 worth - this weekend, too. I don't normally play the lottery but since I decided to return home, it might be a good idea
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
I got a lottery ticket - $5 worth - this weekend, too. I don't normally play the lottery but since I decided to return home, it might be a good idea
Me too. I have now decided to buy a weekly lottery ticket with the UK in mind. for both of us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.