Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by rebs
Individuals can join Costco, as long as they are employed in or retired from certain professions - here are the details... http://warehouses.costco.co.uk/membership/#close

One just opened up quite near us in Southampton and we were able to join as my husband works for a bank.

Makro on the other hand can be tougher to get membership.
I wonder if it would count that I worked in a bank for 14 years in the USA and could prove it?

I doubt it, there's not much that carries over for USA to UK and vice versa but I'll certainly give it a try
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I wonder if it would count that I worked in a bank for 14 years in the USA and could prove it?

I doubt it, there's not much that carries over for USA to UK and vice versa but I'll certainly give it a try
I'll still have my US card when I get to UK, so I wonder if I can renew from there. My sister and I went in the Warrington one when I was there one year, and my card worked fine. I had no idea there was one in Chester, that will be handy.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Checkout the Costco uk website, it shows opening hours and other details.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jul 8th 2013 at 4:12 am.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

We got totally lost tonight coming back from Rye. It started getting dark. A 30 minute trip took 2 hours. I can't remember being lost before to this degree.
Anyway we went to the Battle of Britain Monument, The Dover White Cliffs and the steam train from someplace to someplace.

Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
We got totally lost tonight coming back from Rye. It started getting dark. A 30 minute trip took 2 hours. I can't remember being lost before to this degree.
Anyway we went to the Battle of Britain Monument, The Dover White Cliffs and the steam train from someplace to someplace.

Cheers
I too was getting off track too often here and ended up buying a SatNav
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Elizabeth,
Before I left the U.S. I went into a Cosco store and asked them if I became a member would my card still work in the UK cosco stores? and they checked and said yes, and also they said that when my U.S. card comes near to expiry I can renew the card in U.K. just by walking in a cosco store in the UK, so she said once your a member and you have a card in the U.S. you can renew it in any Cosco store worldwide,
The only reason I didn't become a member was there was no Cosco in Portsmouth. which is my town!!!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Today we went for a pub "carver" It was a village pub and we had a choice of lamb, pork, beef or ham. With dessert it was £10 each. There are a lot of bikers here and some showed at the pub on those three wheelers. I wonder if they bring them in from the US?
Many of the trikes you will see in the UK are home-built by the riders themselves. Very few will be imported ready-built
Old Jul 9th 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Individuals can join Costco, as long as they are employed in or retired from certain professions - here are the details... http://warehouses.costco.co.uk/membership/#close

One just opened up quite near us in Southampton and we were able to join as my husband works for a bank.

Makro on the other hand can be tougher to get membership.
Hi Rebs,
I just had a look at this link you posted on Cosco membership in the U.K.
I was surprised that for individual membership you have to be working at a certain profession or retired from one of there listed professions,
I wonder why Cosco in the U.S. being an American company you can walk into any store and become a member with no problem at all, with little or no restrictions, basically I think as long as you have a U.S. address and have the $50 or whatever to become a member,
Maybe thats why the cosco stores in U.S. are always packed with people,
not everyone buys in bulk but they like getting there goods at a good price,

Now I dont think that the Cosco stores operating in the U.K. are really behind the times having such strict rules of membership, but what I think is that they are prevented from opening up membership to everyone (like the U.S.) prevented by the British Government with all its red tape and centuries old laws and regulations, after all it seems a little odd that they would not want there stores to be full of people at all times, why would any business want to restrict its sales volume figures if they had a choice?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Elizabeth,
Before I left the U.S. I went into a Cosco store and asked them if I became a member would my card still work in the UK cosco stores? and they checked and said yes, and also they said that when my U.S. card comes near to expiry I can renew the card in U.K. just by walking in a cosco store in the UK, so she said once your a member and you have a card in the U.S. you can renew it in any Cosco store worldwide,
The only reason I didn't become a member was there was no Cosco in Portsmouth. which is my town!!!
Thats interesting to know. Seeing the nearest to us will be an hour away (which is the same here) we may well renew, not sure. An hour away seems a lot further in UK. But number one son lives near there so it could be an excuse to go and see him.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers, on PBS last Sunday, I found it to be very interesting, the Spencers once came to the rescue of a distant cousin fallen on hard times, the great-great-great-grandfather of George Washington, I'm not a history buff in any way but I really enjoyed this show...

Next week its Chatsworth House, I know it has some Kennedy connections, I grew up near Chatsworth House and a friend of mine was a secretary for the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, I will be watching this one for sure...

Vera starts on PBS next weekend I hope many of you get to see this series, I've already seen a few episodes via the web, its a decent little show...
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Elizabeth,
But now they opened a new Costco in Southampton
Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I watched Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers, on PBS last Sunday, I found it to be very interesting, the Spencers once came to the rescue of a distant cousin fallen on hard times, the great-great-great-grandfather of George Washington, I'm not a history buff in any way but I really enjoyed this show...

Next week its Chatsworth House, I know it has some Kennedy connections, I grew up near Chatsworth House and a friend of mine was a secretary for the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, I will be watching this one for sure...

Vera starts on PBS next weekend I hope many of you get to see this series, I've already seen a few episodes via the web, its a decent little show...
Fish Im trying to attach a link to my post in B.E. Ive tried different things but I really don't have a clue, just wondered if you know how to do it pal
Rodney.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I too was getting off track too often here and ended up buying a SatNav
Yes knowing what I know now I would pay extra for GPS in the rental. some of these signs are confusing in the uk.
Another thing about driving here....does everyone know they will overtake you on the roundabout? I've nearly creamed a few cars that way.
Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Yes knowing what I know now I would pay extra for GPS in the rental. some of these signs are confusing in the uk.
Another thing about driving here....does everyone know they will overtake you on the roundabout? I've nearly creamed a few cars that way.
Cheers
Cheers, my Dad coughed up and bought the European maps for his GPS unit before coming over here this year, only to discover the rental car he got came equipped with a built-in unit. Just for fun (cos Dad just loves to play with his toys, he programmed them both for the trip from Manchester airport over to Scarborough and they didn't see eye to eye on the final two miles of the trip - they were "fighting" with each other on the way up the road here I think having a GPS if you haven't been here for a few years is an excellent idea and can save you a lot of headaches.

How did you like the Battle of Britain Memorial site? We really liked it and had always intended going back again before we left Folkestone but never did get the chance.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Topsham, near Exeter, by train yesterday. It was baking hot, but a lovely time despite the heat. It's a little sailing town - used to be important in the shipping trade for Exeter years ago - now mainly pleasure craft. Took a few photos and here is the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7634557937989/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.