Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:15 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
I got it from the Daily Express yesterday. They were writing about an area in Kent that was the best place to live and their income was above the national average. I don't know how to paste on my iPad . Sorry.
Cheers,

This is how I paste:

In the website bar at top of the page, hold your finger down on the website name, eventually a small magnifying glass will appear. Select "select all"
Do the same when you want to select text etc.

Go to BE (or wherever) open "quote" a/o "submit reply"

Inside the reply box, hold your finger down in an empty area and the magnifying glass will reappear. Select "paste"

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...01116&page=464

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dunroving;10630934]Yes, tablets don't quite work like laptops, do they? I get frustrated at the lack of functionality in my Asus, too.

Any more clues what the article was about? I searched on their Web page for Kent, salary, income, etc., etc. and couldn't find it. What was the name of the area?[/

I found the article in today's Daily Express also. See Waverley, Surrey-top rated???

The average weekly wage in the area is £888 - significantly above the UK average of £609. The employment rate is almost 80%, which is also well above typical UK levels.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:40 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I found the article in today's Daily Express also. See Waverley, Surrey-top rated???

The average weekly wage in the area is £888 - significantly above the UK average of £609. The employment rate is almost 80%, which is also well above typical UK levels.
Interesting, the Office of National Statistics says the UK average weekly pay for January 2013 is £442. neither they nor that article say what "average" they are using (mean or median) or how they calculated the data. Anyway, there's a big difference between £442 per week and £609 per week. that's the problem with the media - they don't really bother too much about the accuracy of their data.

ONS site is here. I'm currently trying to download the data set to try to figure out the correct calculation. It's confusing for returnees trying to get accurate information when major media outlets and the government's own statistics differ by so much.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

See Waverley in today's Express
It's in Surrey ... I guess that's why a search for Kent didn't work.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I'm with you Rodney on the weather. As I watched the news on telly and all the folks moaning about how cold it is and how they were jetting off to some (temporary) higher temps for Easter, I 'm looking forward that Britain will be a little bit emptier and all the more space for me to have some nice walks well wrapped against the weather and with a pub at the end and a bus home.
Yep John the pub at the end of a nice walk is an added bonus
Old Mar 30th 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the average wage in England £609 per week ?

How can they pay those kind of wages?
Ha Ha No not for an unskilled worker, but my Nephew gets £12 per hour as a labourer working in construction, he earns about £500 per week before taxes, but they pay much more over here for that kind of work, and of course people with a trade would earn more, but I would say the average unskilled workers wage is around £300 per week these days, but dont forget that taxes are pretty high here and the NHS stamp deduction is a percentage of your gross wages and that is quite high,
I dug out some pictures from my life in Australia in the 1960's, pics of me and Norm a friend of mine and the two girls we lived with, the four of us together, I had a long dark beard, and long dark hair and it brought back memories of all the good times I had in Oz, well I was only in my very early 20's so life can be real good when your young and of course it was the 60's and I was a HAPPY HIPPY without a single care in the world,
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Ha Ha No not for an unskilled worker, but my Nephew gets £12 per hour as a labourer working in construction, he earns about £500 per week before taxes, but they pay much more over here for that kind of work, and of course people with a trade would earn more, but I would say the average unskilled workers wage is around £300 per week these days, but dont forget that taxes are pretty high here and the NHS stamp deduction is a percentage of your gross wages and that is quite high,
I dug out some pictures from my life in Australia in the 1960's, pics of me and Norm a friend of mine and the two girls we lived with, the four of us together, I had a long dark beard, and long dark hair and it brought back memories of all the good times I had in Oz, well I was only in my very early 20's so life can be real good when your young and of course it was the 60's and I was a HAPPY HIPPY without a single care in the world,
Hey, I'm going to tell your mother on you! Typical, no responsibilities.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

This might seem ridiculous at my age (60) but when I return to the UK (62 or 63 perhaps), I might want to go back to school to learn something new. Are there any grants for this sort of thing at my age?

I could very well be teaching in a college by then, too, as well as running a business (perhaps in the off hours).

I feel at 60, I am not winding down; I am winding UP to my second life Dad died at 90 and didn't stop working until he was about 75 and I have his genes, so I might very well follow suit.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I'm with you Rodney on the weather. As I watched the news on telly and all the folks moaning about how cold it is and how they were jetting off to some (temporary) higher temps for Easter, I 'm looking forward that Britain will be a little bit emptier and all the more space for me to have some nice walks well wrapped against the weather and with a pub at the end and a bus home.
Ahhhh sounds lovely I wish after all this awful heat we have had in Oz.I am looking forward to our winter,and God help anyone who moans it's cold !!!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!

The weather has delayed my move (we were supposed to move last week but had to delay because of the deep snow up where we're going), but I don't even mind. It's just so beautiful up there in this weather. Yesterday I was up at our new house doing a bit of decorating and I took a break to go for a walk. It's all footpaths across farm fields and hills around there, so it can get quite exposed and windy, but a good coat, a hat, a scarf and a pair of wellies and you're all set. You really feel the air in your lungs and you can literally feel your head clearing while you walk. Fantastic!

The best part was walking through a field of new born lambs. I did pass one lamb corpse and that was very sad, but the others were so delightful - some skipping around, some of them still learning to stand - one even ran right up to me and I was worried he'd think I was his mother and attach himself to me but luckily his mum came over quickly and shooed him back.

The good thing about the people up in the Dales is that they tend not to moan about the weather - they seem to just get on with it. It's so boring when people start on with how bad the weather is and how they wish they could move somewhere warm. Most would hate it I'm sure, but they imagine hot summers are utopia.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 1st 2013 at 4:54 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:06 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Ahhhh sounds lovely I wish after all this awful heat we have had in Oz.I am looking forward to our winter,and God help anyone who moans it's cold !!!
Oh c'mon, you just KNOW there's going to be someone who whinges about the cold.. LOL. There always is....they complain it's too hot, and when the weather finally changes and it starts to get cold, then they complain about the cold and wishes it were Summer again. It's one vicious circle.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Two things that will never make a good combination - large cup of tea and a computer. Just had to spend $500 on new computer. Spilled bloody large cup of tea and ruined hard drive.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Two things that will never make a good combination - large cup of tea and a computer. Just had to spend $500 on new computer. Spilled bloody large cup of tea and ruined hard drive.
That'll do it!!! Once liquid gets in there, it's finished
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes!

The weather has delayed my move (we were supposed to move last week but had to delay because of the deep snow up where we're going), but I don't even mind. It's just so beautiful up there in this weather. Yesterday I was up at our new house doing a bit of decorating and I took a break to go for a walk. It's all footpaths across farm fields and hills around there, so it can get quite exposed and windy, but a good coat, a hat, a scarf and a pair of wellies and you're all set. You really feel the air in your lungs and you can literally feel your head clearing while you walk. Fantastic!

The best part was walking through a field of new born lambs. I did pass one lamb corpse and that was very sad, but the others were so delightful - some skipping around, some of them still learning to stand - one even ran right up to me and I was worried he'd think I was his mother and attach himself to me but luckily his mum came over quickly and shooed him back.

The good thing about the people up in the Dales is that they tend not to moan about the weather - they seem to just get on with it. It's so boring when people start on with how bad the weather is and how they wish they could move somewhere warm. Most would hate it I'm sure, but they imagine hot summers are utopia.
Read this on your blog this morning! How heavenly! I am in love with little lambs (and no, I don't eat them). When I am finally at death's door, I want to be living in a little cottage somewhere, with my bed facing the window to sheep dotted on the hillside.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes!

It sounds awesome Sally, the fresh air and the picture you drew is very appealing to me too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.