Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Walmart bought Asda in 99, Asdas get more like Walmarts every day, they have the yellow smiley face and slogans all over Asda...

Asda employees have had their issues with the new owners, thats no surprise to me as Walmart doesn't like paying a living wage, the UK Transport Unions have put pressure on Walmart by threatening strikes at important trading times that would leave the store shelves empty... lol...

If I was living in the UK it would be the last place Id shop.
Won't shop at Walmart. Not only no living wage but no healthcare either for its employees.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
On the subject of showers. I miss my shower stall. My shower is over the bath and I would like to rip the lot out. I never take a bath, but I know I will probably have to keep the bath for resale.

I would like to lose the radiators too. They really do take up a lot of space and are playing havoc with my "interior design"

Re "Mayday". I have been catching up on this show and I am really enjoying it.
We are ripping out our bath to put up a shower stall for resale. Here in Florida it is definitely a plus.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Won't shop at Walmart. Not only no living wage but no healthcare either for its employees.
I don't go there either.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:42 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

We are ripping out our bath to put up a shower stall for resale. Here in Florida it is definitely a plus.
I wish that were the case in Scotland, a shower stall would do me just fine.

Last edited by lf1; Mar 8th 2013 at 11:04 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

lf1, dunroving and Mummy in the foothills.....Thankyou for the replies I shall take a look and see what I can find out when I get the answer I will post it for others.

update on Non Returning Ex-Pat.

I have been packing all week for the move to our new home. We close on Monday and move in on Friday. Could not stay with daughter any longer she has put her life on hold for over a year and been so very good. I have mixed feelings about the move glad to see my possesions once again but sad that we are not home. But there is always the future as I was made aware of by many and dunroving gave me the names of some very good books to read.
Have to shop for all the electric goods I either gave away or sold
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I use Ex-Pat Shield and it works find. You just cant have it on all the time or you dont get your emails. Well I dont. But it does work.

Does anyone remember the new rules for collecting your UK pension and combining it with your US. I worked in the UK but do not get the full pension and as I did not work full time in the US dont have enough credits for a US pension. I read somewhere that you could combine the two. I know the UK just lowered the amount of credits needed for a UK pension I think its down to 30 is that correct.

I forgot about not having a plug in the bathroom for drying your hair. Good heavens I would have to have a long extension to use my hairdryer in the bathroom.

Charleygirl is fine she had to delay her trip to the US because of family illness but she will be here around the 20th March.

Celtic....Your life is just starting look forward to a new beginning and start planning whatever you want to do. We all make mistakes but its how we move on that matters. Cheer up such a lot to look forward to.

Jasper123...Hows your Mum doing. Have you joined anything yet. I was told to join a gym.....
Trottytrue....you are so kind.....thank you xxx. You have had to deal with so much more than most of us.
I had had a pretty privileged life and now at 69, a future that terrifies me. My newly divorced husband owes so much in back taxes to the IRS....I may not be able to leave until these debts are paid unless I pay them in his place ( filed jointly for 15 years at the advice of his CPA)Cannot register with a GP nor commit as a permanent resident in the UK unless I am free and clear of US debt.
It has become so much more complicated than when our house is sold. Listed this week. He is not trying to screw me.....but is broke :-(
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:54 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot register with a GP nor commit as a permanent resident in the UK unless I am free and clear of US debt.
I don't understand why not? I registered with a GP and no one asked me if I had any debts.

I can't believe you've had this set-back and presumably you had no idea he wasn't paying his taxes. I feel awful for you and I hope you find some resolution.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't understand why not? I registered with a GP and no one asked me if I had any debts.

I can't believe you've had this set-back and presumably you had no idea he wasn't paying his taxes. I feel awful for you and I hope you find some resolution.
I can't see where a debt in the US has any bearing on registering with a GP in the UK They aren't going to ask, and probably aren't going to care! Plus if one has a right to live in the UK one can do so, a US debt has nothing to do with that.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
lf1, dunroving and Mummy in the foothills.....Thankyou for the replies I shall take a look and see what I can find out when I get the answer I will post it for others.

update on Non Returning Ex-Pat.

I have been packing all week for the move to our new home. We close on Monday and move in on Friday. Could not stay with daughter any longer she has put her life on hold for over a year and been so very good. I have mixed feelings about the move glad to see my possesions once again but sad that we are not home. But there is always the future as I was made aware of by many and dunroving gave me the names of some very good books to read.
Have to shop for all the electric goods I either gave away or sold
Good luck with the move, trotty, and on dealing with all the mixed emotions. As you say, at least you'll be with your own stuff, and you'll be allowing daughter to pick up threads of her life again. And there's always the future...glad you have some good books in store to read, I know what a solace they can be.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Trottytrue....you are so kind.....thank you xxx. You have had to deal with so much more than most of us.
I had had a pretty privileged life and now at 69, a future that terrifies me. My newly divorced husband owes so much in back taxes to the IRS....I may not be able to leave until these debts are paid unless I pay them in his place ( filed jointly for 15 years at the advice of his CPA)Cannot register with a GP nor commit as a permanent resident in the UK unless I am free and clear of US debt.
It has become so much more complicated than when our house is sold. Listed this week. He is not trying to screw me.....but is broke :-(
Thinking of you Celtic--what a tangled knot, hope house sells fast as first step, and then the rest sorts itself out somehow...I should imagine the kind of fear you're feeling at this reversal of fortune must be worse, in a way, than that experienced by those who are used to financial hardship....
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I don't think any of this can stop you committing as a permanent resident in the UK and nor can it stop you registering with a UK GP. They are all entirely separate matters.

I see you said "at the advice of HIS CPA". I would get one of my own.

Also, you can still go to the UK and live life there regardless of owing taxes in the USA, so long as you file your returns and keep to some sort of payment arrangement. I am pretty sure this is the case from what I have read in other threads here.

I still say things will work out for you so that you have happiness and peace of mind, regardless of all this. Life is not so simple these days and many have situations like yours. It will all be okay Money doesn't buy happiness. Peace of mind is what counts and, once this situation is all worked out with a payment arrangement, you will be much more at peace. Don't let money rob you of your dreams. I know it is stressful while you go through this, but there will also be an end to it at some point.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 9th 2013 at 12:22 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have an idea but I am not sure the mods will approve. Maybe we can do "something" like it at least.

I was thinking that we could start a Google spreadsheet (online document) that we could use to input cost of food, petrol, various other items from different regions of the UK.

Not sure I have the idea cemented yet but looking for input. What do you all think?

So much of the cost of living data is split into a number of different threads - and then it's hard to find the posts that mention it. I thought this would be a way to keep it all in one place and a method by which we could more easily compare different regions.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
I have an idea but I am not sure the mods will approve. Maybe we can do "something" like it at least.

I was thinking that we could start a Google spreadsheet (online document) that we could use to input cost of food, petrol, various other items from different regions of the UK.

Not sure I have the idea cemented yet but looking for input. What do you all think?

So much of the cost of living data is split into a number of different threads - and then it's hard to find the posts that mention it. I thought this would be a way to keep it all in one place and a method by which we could more easily compare different regions.
I would welcome this too I posted this link a while back that gives cost comparisons between certain cities from data submitted by public contributors. It could maybe serve as a start to determine what to include in your spreadsheet.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...United+Kingdom
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would welcome this too I posted this link a while back that gives cost comparisons between certain cities from data submitted by public contributors. It could maybe serve as a start to determine what to include in your spreadsheet.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...United+Kingdom
Thank you! I had forgotten about this. Maybe this is all we really need
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you! I had forgotten about this. Maybe this is all we really need
Well it doesn't cover everywhere by any means, but it's a good start. Also, it is gives city costs, and many on here are moving to smaller towns and villages. It could certainly be improved upon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.