Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by trottytrue
As I still have a confused brain I will agree to anything that you all agree on as long as we can all still share our thoughts and ideas and sometimes our fears and disappointments
Sounds like your brain and my brain went to the same school

I only have one issue with posts on this thread, and I have to get it off my chest....I have to admit to loathing Downton Abbey
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Tina.

Here's how I remember it

Back in the day we had some upset on the Moving back thread, I don't want to get into the details and rehash it, that's just pointless, but I will say a Healthcare thread was formed, many didn't like the Healthcare name, after all we were discussing many things not just Healthcare, sooner than changing the name someone decided to start a third thread, That thread is now the Chit Chat thread, so at one time there were actually three threads, it was all very confusing for most people, after a short time the healthcare thread died, then people got friendly again and posted on both the Moving Back and Chit Chat threads, eventually the Moving back thread was closed and everyone moved to the Chit Chat thread.

I have to say Dunroving doesn't seem to get much credit, he was the guy that suggested Trotty start the original Moving Back thread, I think he was also the person that came up with the name for the the Chit Chat thread.

I'm all for 40 yr olds joining the thread, but wont we get to a point where someone in their 30s feels left out, Maybe it needs something to indicate anyone or everyone is welcome to post...

Yes your right Fish, thats how I remember it too, when I first found the main British Expats site in early 2009 I was posting on a thread with like wise expats getting ready or at least thinking of coming home, I cant remember what that thread was called, but there were only about half dozen of us all in the same generation talking back & forth, and then I remember someone mentioned to trottytrue why dont you start a thread just for the over 50's thinking of moving back to the U.K. and so as trotty was good at that kind of thing and also a very organised person, she decided to start it, but I couldn't remember until you just mentioned it fish that the other person that sugested a new thread was dunroving, yes your right!!!!

And so over 50s & 60s was born, then it really took off, in no time there were so many members, it was great, people were all caring of each other, and we all came up with some very good info for everyone to read, and as the thread got older and larger we all learned from each other, and we became very close,
Then after a year or so the original thread got too big and so one of the mods decided to close it ---- but keep all the posts in tact, I was happy about that,
and then a new 50s & 60s thread part two was opened, ------ then after a while that one got too big and also the thread was getting away from its original intension and the subjects were getting a little too deep and some people were getting quite heated, subjects like health care in the U.S. and politics and religion, and it even felt a bit like some people were bashing America, even though they really did not intend to, so anyway the mods stepped in and kept the 50s 60s part two but started the now chit chat thread, so as to separate discussions and subject matter,

Then a few months past and both threads were running along side each other and after a while the 50s 60s thread was getting very slow indeed, not just for a few weeks either, and so everyone seemed to jump over to the chit chat thread that we now have, during that time I did notice we picked up a few past lurkers that became new posters
So as all the traffic was on the chit chat thread ----- the mods so rightly decided to just close the 50s 60s part 2 thread (but again preserved all the posts) I do like that cause that way people new and old can go through them and get soooo much information and really experience the raw emotions that is part of the baggage of everyone that are making up there minds to make the big leap across the pond for good!!!!!

So now we come to yet another crossroads in our threads journey, if you ask me i really do think that this chit chat thread is going along nicely, and the activity is getting close to back in the day
But in saying that I also think that changing the name (slightly) is a darn good idea
my vote goes with ----- over 40's moving back & catch up, but with some kind of note explaining the new thread is from the 50s & 60s thread, just so older posters will know where to find there friends, and including the over 40s I think will attract more new posters, and for all posts to survive it needs new blood along with the older posters, but I think its important to keep the posting to over 40,s and then the site will still be able to maintain its original purpose ----- of senior type people helping each other with there specific age related concerns, as has been said before that when your older and have lived in another country or countries for most of your adult life and now your contemplating returning to your birth country and taking on a completely new life, ----- well its a huge decision, its huge when your younger too, but when your older it all can be mindboggling
Well thats my 2 cents of contribution
Rodney.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I only have one issue with posts on this thread, and I have to get it off my chest....I have to admit to loathing Downton Abbey
Ha Ha Ha ----- very funny!!!!
well if thats your only concern then we must be all doing pretty darn good then Huh?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:11 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

What????? I am sure we can get you some professional help for your affliction.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You can tell we are old codgers on here - every other thread is like a history lesson!

"OK, so the original Moving Back for the 50s thread was created, then in 2011, someone suggested .... "

Actually, I found a boatload of "Info for 50's an 60's" threads, on all sorts of topics (one about utilities, one about employment, one about banking, one about hemorrhoids) ... just kidding about that last one. (yes, I know there's nothing funny about hemorrhoids).
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have details of David's B&B (posting as High Tide)? I have sent him a pm but I don't think he checks in on here anymore. Will be travelling to the area and wanted to look into his place. Thanks!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

So now we come to yet another crossroads in our threads journey, if you ask me i really do think that this chit chat thread is going along nicely, and the activity is getting close to back in the day
But in saying that I also think that changing the name (slightly) is a darn good idea
my vote goes with ----- over 40's moving back & catch up, but with some kind of note explaining the new thread is from the 50s & 60s thread, just so older posters will know where to find there friends, and including the over 40s I think will attract more new posters, and for all posts to survive it needs new blood along with the older posters, but I think its important to keep the posting to over 40,s and then the site will still be able to maintain its original purpose ----- of senior type people helping each other with there specific age related concerns, as has been said before that when your older and have lived in another country or countries for most of your adult life and now your contemplating returning to your birth country and taking on a completely new life, ----- well its a huge decision, its huge when your younger too, but when your older it all can be mindboggling
Rodney.
Great 2 cents, Rodney! and If1 has agreed to the new name too, and others also voted yes further up the thread....so consensus is growing!

As Pollyana says, let's move on from the past--actually I'd forgotten all that hoo-hah and dissension. But I love the past in a good way, I love the history of this thread community, and that's the reason for proposing the name change--to have a name closer to our original one, to dump the trivial-sounding chit-chat idea --though of course we can still chat to each other when we want to!--and to make it clear discussion of serious concerns is welcome.

We'd better watch Pollyana closely--sounds as if she may make the name change contingent on a Downton discussion embargo!!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:57 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

We'd better watch Pollyana closely--sounds as if she may make the name change contingent on a Downton discussion embargo!!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha Ha ----- very funny!!!!
well if thats your only concern then we must be all doing pretty darn good then Huh?
Originally Posted by lf1
my brother in law is addicted to it - he has to record it to watch it cos my niece (and me when I'm there) annoy him by gently taking the micky

I'd like to assure people that old threads are rarely deleted. occasionally something is deleted to being abusive, nasty, spammiy etc and threads are closed automatically after they lie dormant for 12 months. When we close large threads though we always link the threads to the previous "chapter"and never delete the old stuff - far too much info in them for that
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Expat Seniors moving back to the UK

All contributions welcome for those planning on becoming seniors.

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Just thinking out loud...

I'm wondering why we have to change anything, What does a name change hope to achieve, what is the goal? I thought everything was fine until yesterday, but what happened then isn't nothing new.

I think Montfan should join in anyway, age is no biggy to me, we've had under 50s before and there was never a problem.
I agree Fish and Chips. We should not have changed the name in the first place.
Some people need change for change sake. No offense.

I'm loose on this whole thing. I have other things to concentrate on like balancing the US Budget and also China hacking our internet

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Feb 20th 2013 at 5:25 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes your right Fish, thats how I remember it too, when I first found the main British Expats site in early 2009 I was posting on a thread with like wise expats getting ready or at least thinking of coming home, I cant remember what that thread was called, but there were only about half dozen of us all in the same generation talking back & forth, and then I remember someone mentioned to trottytrue why dont you start a thread just for the over 50's thinking of moving back to the U.K. and so as trotty was good at that kind of thing and also a very organised person, she decided to start it, but I couldn't remember until you just mentioned it fish that the other person that sugested a new thread was dunroving, yes your right!!!!

And so over 50s & 60s was born, then it really took off, in no time there were so many members, it was great, people were all caring of each other, and we all came up with some very good info for everyone to read, and as the thread got older and larger we all learned from each other, and we became very close,
Then after a year or so the original thread got too big and so one of the mods decided to close it ---- but keep all the posts in tact, I was happy about that,
and then a new 50s & 60s thread part two was opened, ------ then after a while that one got too big and also the thread was getting away from its original intension and the subjects were getting a little too deep and some people were getting quite heated, subjects like health care in the U.S. and politics and religion, and it even felt a bit like some people were bashing America, even though they really did not intend to, so anyway the mods stepped in and kept the 50s 60s part two but started the now chit chat thread, so as to separate discussions and subject matter,

Then a few months past and both threads were running along side each other and after a while the 50s 60s thread was getting very slow indeed, not just for a few weeks either, and so everyone seemed to jump over to the chit chat thread that we now have, during that time I did notice we picked up a few past lurkers that became new posters
So as all the traffic was on the chit chat thread ----- the mods so rightly decided to just close the 50s 60s part 2 thread (but again preserved all the posts) I do like that cause that way people new and old can go through them and get soooo much information and really experience the raw emotions that is part of the baggage of everyone that are making up there minds to make the big leap across the pond for good!!!!!

Rodney.
Thats a Great 2 cents worth Rodney, infact I with you gave us a dollars worth, you do make some good points, I know its all from the heart.

Mindboggling, so very true, I think at some point my parents would have liked to have gone back, but it was just too much for them at their age.

Trotty has said many times as she tries to educate, that if you want to move back to do it do it ASAP, I totally agree with her, there are so many things that people cannot anticipate coming their way, Its little things that become big impossible life changing things, some people are totally stuck forever in a place they dont want to be.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana...

Whats this Downton Abbey you speak of???... lol...
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

16 weeks until I return

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.