Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:43 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Here's where I lived as a child, just rotate to the left and it's the cream bungalow with the car in the drive.

http://www.vpike.com/?place=288+newa...it=Street+View
Hope your parents didn't send you out into the street to play!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 11:44 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, this is it, but you'll have to rotate right. I think our place was about five in from the end. My parents owned a boarding house in Morecambe on the sea front. Great place to grow up.
http://www.vpike.com/?place=356+mari...it=Street+View

We visited a couple of years ago and I was astonished to find the same furniture in the dining room. Apparently these places are sold with the fittings, so that makes sense. All new bedroom stuff, though, and I should think so. I remember many of the beds were flock mattresses on the wire mesh springs. It wasn't a posh place.

They let me have two pottery jugs that they had on display on a shelf, because I remember my father using them to pour out coffee, which we only had on very special occasions. Big pan of milk with ground coffee boiled in it. Started me on my coffee addiction young!

Bev
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to see where everyone all got started and to hear about little things you all remember, anyone else?
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm spending too much time, this morning, trying to find something on the prior posts. Someone mentioned another site instead of Rightmoves. What was it? I wanted to read it to find out about what is considered a reasonable offer to make on a house. (I would offer half the asking price if I had my way)
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 2:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I started out over the top of a butchers shop. Opposite a bookies. The blue front door was us, Looks like the shop is under renovations with the windows covered.
http://www.vpike.com/?place=28+Abergele+Rd+Colwyn+Bay
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 2:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm spending too much time, this morning, trying to find something on the prior posts. Someone mentioned another site instead of Rightmoves. What was it? I wanted to read it to find out about what is considered a reasonable offer to make on a house. (I would offer half the asking price if I had my way)
Zoopla, maybe?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Hope your parents didn't send you out into the street to play!
No, if you rotate it right, then the road there was our playground, there were 24 houses down there, and the rest of the area was open ground with trees, shrubs etc, the road wasn't paved, just packed dirt, and at the bottom we had our own cricket pitch, not smooth surface, but we managed to play there, in the grounds we climbed trees, built dens, had the bonfire night fires, and at one time played Drs and nurses..

The majority of the people living there moved as newly weds, and therefore there were a goodly number of kids of my age who grew up together. You can, if you follow the road down see the older houses on the left, short terraces, rear access by a service road.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:36 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, if you rotate it right, then the road there was our playground, there were 24 houses down there, and the rest of the area was open ground with trees, shrubs etc, the road wasn't paved, just packed dirt, and at the bottom we had our own cricket pitch, not smooth surface, but we managed to play there, in the grounds we climbed trees, built dens, had the bonfire night fires, and at one time played Drs and nurses..

The majority of the people living there moved as newly weds, and therefore there were a goodly number of kids of my age who grew up together. You can, if you follow the road down see the older houses on the left, short terraces, rear access by a service road.
At the back of the terraced house we lived in from 3-11 yrs old there was a park/grassland, with woods at the back. We used to climb over the 5 ft metal "fence" (railings) at the bottom of all of the terraced houses' gardens with a big jump to the grass on the other side. We'd play cricket with the kids down the road, or explore the books and ponds in the woods.

The fence had a row of really nasty, pointed spikes on it with just enough space in between to squeeze your foot in between, before leaping for freedom. One slip and we'd have impaled our goolies. I don't remember anyone's parents telling them not to climb over the fence, though. Ah, the good old days when kids weren't wrapped in cotton wool!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I think it was another site though.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

At the back of the terraced house we lived in from 3-11 yrs old there was a park/grassland, with woods at the back. We used to climb over the 5 ft metal "fence" (railings) at the bottom of all of the terraced houses' gardens with a big jump to the grass on the other side. We'd play cricket with the kids down the road, or explore the books and ponds in the woods.

The fence had a row of really nasty, pointed spikes on it with just enough space in between to squeeze your foot in between, before leaping for freedom. One slip and we'd have impaled our goolies. I don't remember anyone's parents telling them not to climb over the fence, though. Ah, the good old days when kids weren't wrapped in cotton wool!
I wonder if that's because our parents were even more "adventurous" as kids than we were? From some of the things my Dad's told me its a wonder he lived to his teens! Last year when we were up in South Shields he pointed out this bridge a few blocks from where he'd grown up - apparently they used to walk over the concrete arches for kicks when they were kids & one brief gust of wind would have blown them down into a busy road - oh to be young and fearless. While I'd never encourage pulling a stunt like that I have to say I feel sorry for kids today, like you say they're wrapped in cotton wool!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Was it this one?

http://www.primelocation.com/
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:33 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by curleytops
I wonder if that's because our parents were even more "adventurous" as kids than we were? From some of the things my Dad's told me its a wonder he lived to his teens! Last year when we were up in South Shields he pointed out this bridge a few blocks from where he'd grown up - apparently they used to walk over the concrete arches for kicks when they were kids & one brief gust of wind would have blown them down into a busy road - oh to be young and fearless. While I'd never encourage pulling a stunt like that I have to say I feel sorry for kids today, like you say they're wrapped in cotton wool!
My uncle used to make bombs and blow up trees when he was young. He hit a bullet with a hammer and blew off half of his hand (I think he wasn't even in his teens at the time).

A family tale is that when he was lying in the hospital bed after his surgery, the doctor came to see how he was doing. The story goes he asked the doctor if he'd be able to play the piano after his hand had healed and he left the hospital. The doctor said "Yes, I should think so". "That's great", said my uncle, "because I couldn't play it before".

How true the story is, I don't know. I do know that having half a hand didn't stop him training to be a P.E. teacher and spending his spare time fixing cars for a side-job.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
leave her on long enough she'll have bought a house and booked the international movers.
That's what I'm hoping.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Yes I think that's the one.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

My uncle used to make bombs and blow up trees when he was young. He hit a bullet with a hammer and blew off half of his hand (I think he wasn't even in his teens at the time).

A family tale is that when he was lying in the hospital bed after his surgery, the doctor came to see how he was doing. The story goes he asked the doctor if he'd be able to play the piano after his hand had healed and he left the hospital. The doctor said "Yes, I should think so". "That's great", said my uncle, "because I couldn't play it before".

How true the story is, I don't know. I do know that having half a hand didn't stop him training to be a P.E. teacher and spending his spare time fixing cars for a side-job.
They certainly don't make them like that any more!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.