Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 14th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers
Looks heavenly. I bet you love it there!

It is very quiet with no people around so is that because of the time of day?

Cheers
I tend not to have people in the photos as I don't want to get releases from people - I am putting them on the internet, a very public place. Places and views and plants only.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a look at where you are from and it looks like a lovely small seaside town! My OH will only move back in three years time, so I have to be patient, but it does not stop me from researching places to retire to!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I tend not to have people in the photos as I don't want to get releases from people - I am putting them on the internet, a very public place. Places and views and plants only.
Are you happy in your new venue? I have been back to Ireland twice and sadly realized that one cannot live on scenery alone :-(
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I also remember when you thought Frome was wonderful. I am so afraid to make another mistake and feel isolated.....even with a few family members.
Heading to NYC this weekend to visit my kids :-)
Old Jun 15th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Have a great weekend Celticspirit. I`m seeing my shower this weekend too!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I also remember when you thought Frome was wonderful. I am so afraid to make another mistake and feel isolated.....even with a few family members.
Heading to NYC this weekend to visit my kids :-)
Hi Celtic: I like being in Dawlish - quite different feeling to Frome, very open aspect. I lived here 42 years ago, when I was a young bride so it is not unknown territory. I still like Frome as an architectural paradise, but with the anti-social behaviour in that town, there is no way I was willing to live there for much longer. As a result of my 16 months there, I had a long checklist when I came to visit Dawlish, starting with: are there any drunks outside my window! Continuing into dirty streets, dog poo on the streets, drunks, litter, graffiti. Then into daily needs such as: library, grocery store, banks, doctor, dentist, community hospital, bus service, train service. Proximity to larger towns and cities. And I had a check list for the actual housing: size of flat, modern appliances, management, support services, tenant involvement in daily running of place, cleanliness of development, rules and regulations. I also read a Crime Report on Dawlish before moving here, and there is very little crime - a 10th of that in Frome. Only time will tell if this is 'home' but so far it is feeling comfortable. I miss my Frome friends, and some of them are planning overnight visits, starting next week. Now that I have the internet in my own flat, I am once again connected to the wider world. Would I recommend Dawlish as a place to live? All depends on what you are looking for. It could be too low key for some, too touristy for others, fine for some. For me it is safe enough to go out at night, whereas in Frome I never went anywhere unaccompanied after dark - I never felt safe - especially when there was a shooting right outside of my apartment building, and two robberies shortly afterward plus various weekend fights. So far, so good.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Celtic: I like being in Dawlish - quite different feeling to Frome, very open aspect. I lived here 42 years ago, when I was a young bride so it is not unknown territory. I still like Frome as an architectural paradise, but with the anti-social behaviour in that town, there is no way I was willing to live there for much longer. As a result of my 16 months there, I had a long checklist when I came to visit Dawlish, starting with: are there any drunks outside my window! Continuing into dirty streets, dog poo on the streets, drunks, litter, graffiti. Then into daily needs such as: library, grocery store, banks, doctor, dentist, community hospital, bus service, train service. Proximity to larger towns and cities. And I had a check list for the actual housing: size of flat, modern appliances, management, support services, tenant involvement in daily running of place, cleanliness of development, rules and regulations. I also read a Crime Report on Dawlish before moving here, and there is very little crime - a 10th of that in Frome. Only time will tell if this is 'home' but so far it is feeling comfortable. I miss my Frome friends, and some of them are planning overnight visits, starting next week. Now that I have the internet in my own flat, I am once again connected to the wider world. Would I recommend Dawlish as a place to live? All depends on what you are looking for. It could be too low key for some, too touristy for others, fine for some. For me it is safe enough to go out at night, whereas in Frome I never went anywhere unaccompanied after dark - I never felt safe - especially when there was a shooting right outside of my apartment building, and two robberies shortly afterward plus various weekend fights. So far, so good.
Thank you for checking it out for us!
Sounds ideal for me.
You checked all the right boxes.
Now how soon can I get there???
Cheers
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, sounds great, will have to spend time on google earth walking through it! I like the idea of the train going along the coast, reminds me of a place back in Cape Town where the train also does that, best view and scenery ride for a few pence!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 6:14 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I had no idea Frome was so bad. Very glad that you're happier now Rosie.

We had a fabulous day today - it was a lesson to me that I need to just go with the flow more often. I went to get a haircut this morning and the drive back from Leeds takes me through lovely countryside with just a few farms dotted around. One of them had a sign out for an art exhibition. I almost pulled in to see it but then decided 'no I'm in a hurry.'

But when I got back I did some googling and found the artist's name and website. Turns out he's a farmer by day, artist by night and right now there's an event called North Yorkshire Open Studios, where you can go visit hundreds of local artists in their studios.

His paintings looked so interesting that I was kicking myself that I didn't go in, so I persuaded my husband to come with me and we went back. What a treat! The artist has a gallery in a converted barn and then he works in another part of the barn. His paintings are amazing - a riot of color and texture and movement - so joyous! Just as I was wishing I could buy them all, he walked in. We spent half an hour or so chatting to him about his work, his studio and Yorkshire. He gave us some great recommendations for drives out, pubs, etc. and showed us his work in progress. The whole experience was just a delight from start to finish.

Here's his website: http://www.richardsnowden.co.uk/Snowden/Home.html

I only wish I could afford to spend £350-£900 on a painting.

Next time I see an intriguing sign by the side of the road, I'm pulling in
Old Jun 15th 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow, I had no idea Frome was so bad. Very glad that you're happier now Rosie.

We had a fabulous day today - it was a lesson to me that I need to just go with the flow more often. I went to get a haircut this morning and the drive back from Leeds takes me through lovely countryside with just a few farms dotted around. One of them had a sign out for an art exhibition. I almost pulled in to see it but then decided 'no I'm in a hurry.'

But when I got back I did some googling and found the artist's name and website. Turns out he's a farmer by day, artist by night and right now there's an event called North Yorkshire Open Studios, where you can go visit hundreds of local artists in their studios.

His paintings looked so interesting that I was kicking myself that I didn't go in, so I persuaded my husband to come with me and we went back. What a treat! The artist has a gallery in a converted barn and then he works in another part of the barn. His paintings are amazing - a riot of color and texture and movement - so joyous! Just as I was wishing I could buy them all, he walked in. We spent half an hour or so chatting to him about his work, his studio and Yorkshire. He gave us some great recommendations for drives out, pubs, etc. and showed us his work in progress. The whole experience was just a delight from start to finish.

Here's his website: http://www.richardsnowden.co.uk/Snowden/Home.html

I only wish I could afford to spend £350-£900 on a painting.

Next time I see an intriguing sign by the side of the road, I'm pulling in
Welcome to England, Sally! You are still in US mode of rush and hurry - it takes a while to allow yourself to slow down and enjoy the moment. May you have many more enjoyable moments in your 'new' county and country! I am just now slowing down - almost 2 years back. Devon tends to be slower than Somerset, so soon I will be at a dead halt!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:26 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So true Rosie. One thing I'm getting used to is how long it takes to say goodbye to someone.

In America, when you say 'right I should be going' at the end of an evening, everyone gets up, says goodbye and sees you off. Here, 'right I should be going' is merely the opening salvo in a long, drawn out series of goodbyes that can take half an hour. And it's not just with friends, even when the plumber came to fix our sink, I noticed that we chatted for at least another 5 minutes after he had said goodbye. Today, we "ended" our conversation with the artist 3 times before we actually left the building.

I suspect it's because people feel a bit uncomfortable just cutting the conversation short - maybe it feels rude to them or something?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Legally, if you are taking the pictures in a public place, then you do not need a release, otherwise how would all those journalists get permission to publish photographs of people in the streets etc.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Legally, if you are taking the pictures in a public place, then you do not need a release, otherwise how would all those journalists get permission to publish photographs of people in the streets etc.
That may be the 'letter of the law' but I am university trained, and one of the rules of etiquette was - no taking photos of people without their permission. In this age of perverts and child molestation etc., there is no telling who, in a public setting, would be in personal danger should their photo be published. So I err on the side of caution: no people, especially children. My interest is in botany, and in architecture, and I have been taking and posting photos of the places I have visited as a matter of courtesy to the BE members who are homesick for the UK. I shall be removing some of those from the Flickr site in due course, as they tend to be of the snapshot variety rather than having artistic merit.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who may not know or remember, don't forget to visit Karim's page on here, fabulous photo's of our lovely country.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688910
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Thank you for checking it out for us!
Cheers
Hello Cheers - Nice to chat, so here are the shots I promised - and for under 1K, we were so pleased. Take care Don
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-feb-2011-rover-car.jpg   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-timten.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.