Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;10092986]
Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I found golliwog dolls for sale locally - thought they were outlawed. Guess not. These come from China. For those of us from the USA, this is regarded as a racist emblem. Found them for sale on the Internet when I did a worldwide search. What next?

Rosie...

I would try not to let this golliwog issue bother you, it may be seen as Rasict in America, from my memory its was never seen that way in the UK and there was certainly no Hate attached to it at least in my mind...
Absolutely, it's nothing to do with color. It's just a black doll! I'm sure that that sort of bias comes from America! I had lots of golliwogs when I was kid. I loved them. I could have cared less if they were black, white, pink or purple - or even rainbow colors. Same as when i was at university. I didn't care what colors or stripes my friends came in, nor the lecturers. We had people from all over the world and it simply didn't matter!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WOW I did not know that, thanks Englishmum, I will not miss that!!!!
Tonight on BBC 1 they had a special program where Prince Charles was showing very old and some new family film clips of his early days starting when he was 4 and Ann I think 6 and lots of clips of there mother and father when they were young, there were even clips of the Queens Father before he died and also of Charles big day when the Queen officially made him Prince of wales,
As I was watching these clips of the young Queen and young Duke of Edinburgh just playing with there kids just like normal folk, I was amazed at the wonderful feeling of pride I had just being born British, I never ever thought I felt that way, but I do ----- and it feels really good.
I watched it in the USA, Rodney, and I felt that pride, too. Of course, it massively increased the desperate longing to be back in my own country, too!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I went, I saw, I liked the place and the setting. It suits me, and I can afford it, so no need to get into any more about this place. Thanks for the input from all who advised me.
How old do you have to be before you can go into one of these places? Are they different from USA assisted living facilities?

Only problem I have with them is that you can't replace your pets once their gone. I could never live without a pet.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
If you want to see photos of Don and Rodney go to the posts on October 12th 2011.

I needed to refresh my memory of the two handsome gents.

Cheers
Got to find those posts!!!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Can we lift the Tone, from this depressing news?

Rod and I have enjoyed a very happy three days, in each others company.

Photos here, for all those interested!
( Just click to enlarge them!)

Don
You all look AMAZINGLY healthy and well !!!!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Everyone, I am considering a move from the midwest to Massachusetts. Yes, I know it's not England but I need to get on my feet a little more financially so I can make the move back to England in a few years and live comfortably over there - as well as being able to make the move and not have to depend on anyone else for the first six months I am there.

I am also starting a business that I need to grow. It can be conducted from Britain as well - anywhere in the world actually. I didn't think about formalizing but it's my passion and I've been doing it for two years without charging for it. I have built a sizable following and requests are now coming to me from people who are ready to sign year-long contracts with me. One of the opportunities is massive! All these signs are telling me to make it a formal business. I never dreamed it would be possible but it is.

I have some friends in Mass. and they have told me it is booming there. Also, we have compared notes over many months and it seems the cost of living is lower, rents are the same and wages are higher. One of my friends owns a mini Home Depot out there - to be honest, it is more like a regular home Depot but there's only one of them. He is advising me on business issues. I could get a much better job out there and I could expand this business at the same time. I can do most of it online. I've been dabbling in this field for almost two years and I am very good at it and things are growing so now is the time to formalize it and begin to make some money. I am not sure the income from it will ever replace a full-time job but it could. It really depends how far I want to take it. At the very least, it will certainly be a sizable addition to another income.

After settling some financial issues here before I leave (due to a higher income) and having a stable business from which I can draw an income eventually, I will be more ready to move back home. The income will be a nice addition to my USA social security and company pension when I begin to draw them but I am leaving that as long as possible.

I had hoped to be back in the UK next year but sometimes life has a way of pointing you in a certain direction, regardless of your goals and desires.

So, it seems I have to make a few more of life's twists and turns in the USA before I can go back but if I stay in the midwest, I think I am doomed. The economy is still disgraceful here and jobs are still scarce and the only ones that do exists expect you to work twice as hard for half the money. Working twice as hard doesn't bother me so much if I make a decent income. What's more, the new governor wants to raise taxes!!!

I am ecstatic about leaving here - seriously! My friend who is self-employed also owns a few homes and I will be renting one of them. Having this arrangement set ahead of time, makes the move so much easier.

I do consider this move to be part of the process of moving back home to the UK. It's also a good few miles closer! Of course, it also means I need to come to terms with staying here until about 2014 at which time I will be 62 but that's okay. If I make this move, by the age of 62, I will be drawing an income from the business and expanding it, have settled some financial issues and would be eligible to begin to draw social security and my company pension, both of which I will delay as long as I possibly can. It's a lot better than staying here and wishing and hoping I can go back at 65!

Even though it will be stressful learning to settle on the East coast, I think I will love it there. I will be right on the coast and can look at the Atlantic Ocean and tell myself that England is on the horizon

It's too good an opportunity to pass by - both the business and the move, especially with a very stable businessman for a business advisor who is also a friend. I ought to mention, too, there are no hidden agendas. He is a happily married man - lovely family.

No matter how much I like it in Massachusetts, I will not stay. My goal will always be to go home. The people may be terrific and the scenery wonderful but it doesn't change the fact that it is still the USA. I do not like what this country as become so I won't stay. The UK has always been in my heart.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 10th 2012 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong
Everyone, I am considering a move from the midwest to Massachusetts. Yes, I know it's not England but I need to get on my feet a little more financially so I can make the move back to England in a few years and live comfortably over there - as well as being able to make the move and not have to depend on anyone else for the first six months I am there.

I am also starting a business that I need to grow. It can be conducted from Britain as well - anywhere in the world actually. I didn't think about formalizing but it's my passion and I've been doing it for two years without charging for it. I have built a sizable following and requests are now coming to me from people who are ready to sign year-long contracts with me. One of the opportunities is massive! All these signs are telling me to make it a formal business. I never dreamed it would be possible but it is.

I have some friends in Mass. and they have told me it is booming there. Also, we have compared notes over many months and it seems the cost of living is lower, rents are the same and wages are higher. One of my friends owns a mini Home Depot out there - to be honest, it is more like a regular home Depot but there's only one of them. He is advising me on business issues. I could get a much better job out there and I could expand this business at the same time. I can do most of it online. I've been dabbling in this field for almost two years and I am very good at it and things are growing so now is the time to formalize it and begin to make some money. I am not sure the income from it will ever replace a full-time job but it could. It really depends how far I want to take it. At the very least, it will certainly be a sizable addition to another income.

After settling some financial issues here before I leave (due to a higher income) and having a stable business from which I can draw an income eventually, I will be more ready to move back home. The income will be a nice addition to my USA social security and company pension when I begin to draw them but I am leaving that as long as possible.

I had hoped to be back in the UK next year but sometimes life has a way of pointing you in a certain direction, regardless of your goals and desires.

So, it seems I have to make a few more of life's twists and turns in the USA before I can go back but if I stay in the midwest, I think I am doomed. The economy is still disgraceful here and jobs are still scarce and the only ones that do exists expect you to work twice as hard for half the money. Working twice as hard doesn't bother me so much if I make a decent income. What's more, the new governor wants to raise taxes!!!

I am ecstatic about leaving here - seriously! My friend who is self-employed also owns a few homes and I will be renting one of them. Having this arrangement set ahead of time, makes the move so much easier.

I do consider this move to be part of the process of moving back home to the UK. It's also a good few miles closer! Of course, it also means I need to come to terms with staying here until about 2014 at which time I will be 62 but that's okay. If I make this move, by the age of 62, I will be drawing an income from the business and expanding it, have settled some financial issues and would be eligible to begin to draw social security and my company pension, both of which I will delay as long as I possibly can. It's a lot better than staying here and wishing and hoping I can go back at 65!

Even though it will be stressful learning to settle on the East coast, I think I will love it there. I will be right on the coast and can look at the Atlantic Ocean and tell myself that England is on the horizon

It's too good an opportunity to pass by - both the business and the move, especially with a very stable businessman for a business advisor who is also a friend. I ought to mention, too, there are no hidden agendas. He is a happily married man - lovely family.

No matter how much I like it in Massachusetts, I will not stay. My goal will always be to go home. The people may be terrific and the scenery wonderful but it doesn't change the fact that it is still the USA. I do not like what this country as become so I won't stay. The UK has always been in my heart.
Well it sounds like a great opportunity and a stepping stone on your eventual move back to the UK....and 2014 isn't that far off at all! Go for it! Good Luck!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

Windsong, that all sounds very exciting for you and good luck with your endeavors! I love the Boston and the Massachusetts coast and down to Martha's Vineyard. Very reminiscent of the Co. Antrim coastline...plus you can smell the sea Sounds like a great plan.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:53 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong,

That sounds like a great opportunity. We started planning our move just over two years ago and we are moving back in August. I can tell you that the time has just flown by and I am sure it will be the same for you as you have so much going on.

The added bonus is that you can do all your decluttering now before you move within the States and when it comes time to move across the pond you'll be all organized ahead of time. Of course, I left mine until the last minute and have been on overdrive for the last six weeks or so. Yesterday, we had a garage sale, so that got rid of a lot of stuff.

Best of luck with your move and your new venture.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan Windsong.
We started out with a 3 year plan and each year are closer to the move. Now we are only a year out, probably, and are selling off stuff like crazy.
So having a plan is a good thing, sometimes we deviate from it and sometimes move things up in time, no matter what it makes sure you are heading in the right direction. You are heading east, and that is where the UK is so a step in the right direction no matter what.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I feel comforted having a plan unfortunately OH does not want to discuss it or think about it for another 3 years! Oh well I plan on my own
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Good news Windsong. I hope it works out for you
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Windsong that all sounds very well planned and thought out, and you sound so happy and positive at this decision. Congratulations.

I have been AWOL for a while, sorting out a few things and freaking out a little! We have booked flights now for December 7. One way for me, return for OH, who, the plan is, will come back to pack up the house, put the cats on a plane etc and generally sort out a few last minute things, while still earning a salary for 5 weeks.

When we first planned to move home the idea was that we would go back together but we need to go back in December, for a friend's wedding, and it seems kind of sensible for me to find a rental etc before the cats here, while OH still brings in a little money (not much, after rental costs etc are deducted, but we're tied to the rental until Feb anyway).

It feels like a lot of people are on the move, sooner or later. Good luck to everyone!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
Windsong that all sounds very well planned and thought out, and you sound so happy and positive at this decision. Congratulations.

I have been AWOL for a while, sorting out a few things and freaking out a little! We have booked flights now for December 7. One way for me, return for OH, who, the plan is, will come back to pack up the house, put the cats on a plane etc and generally sort out a few last minute things, while still earning a salary for 5 weeks.

When we first planned to move home the idea was that we would go back together but we need to go back in December, for a friend's wedding, and it seems kind of sensible for me to find a rental etc before the cats here, while OH still brings in a little money (not much, after rental costs etc are deducted, but we're tied to the rental until Feb anyway).

It feels like a lot of people are on the move, sooner or later. Good luck to everyone!
Yes it does feel like a lot of people are coming home right now, I do hope they still post often after they get home.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:15 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes it does feel like a lot of people are coming home right now, I do hope they still post often after they get home.
Yes, Rodney, I hope so too. I think it is great that you, beeduby? Sally Simmons, Aries, island woman, curly tops and others still post. I love to hear how people are settling in or not. sorry to those that I have forgotten to mention.

I plan to continue posting after I get back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.