Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Linda!!
Thanks, Tina. Same to you.

I have been so sick the last few days... very bad cold which I usually do not succumb to. Braved it through Christmas day and spent the entire day on the couch yesterday. Just coming out of it, thank goodness.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Note to Kindlers et al: The BC Library system has a downloadable books section where you can download books for 3 weeks (and make a copy if you wish). Another good source of free material.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
A GREAT BIG HAPPY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS ON THIS THREAD, AND I TRULLY HOPE THAT YOU ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT NEW YEAR, cause you all deserve it,
Just wanted to say that anyone out there still having doubts about coming back home, then dont, cause although it does take a little while to absorb everything in your new world here, it sure is worth it in the end,

About Christmas, now Im back home I can honestly say that in America I did not celebrate christmas EVER, only cause I had no family out there,
and to my mind without your family Christmas isn't anything, a lot of you have families in your adopted countries where you made your life, like spouse, kids, grandkids, well I didn't have that over there, ----- but I sure have it now my family is obviously much smaller now with most of them already dead, ---- but I tell you ----- I am hanging on to what Ive got left and cherishing every little minute, it seems like I can say now, Im actually finally happy once again, and believe me it feels good, and I can feel myself just smiling more now, you know that real easy smile/laugh that just comes over you when you are most happy,

But I can tell you this though, and Im just speaking for myself only here, I doubt if I would have come home if I didn't have any family here,

You got to have someone or something to come home for, everyone seems to have there own reason for coming home ---- and not just cause they are home sick, If this is what you really want to do KEEP YOUR DREAM ALIVE AND MAKE IT HAPPEN, forget about watching all those old re-runs of British TV, ---- come over and enjoy them first hand, and get your teeth into some really decent fish & chips with real strong picked onions & mushy peas
Take care everyone,
Rodney.
I just loved this post Rodney, you sound so much better, I really hope so, I hope 2012 is good for you, me, and all my other friends here on the Forum, Enjoy every day.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I have just watched this film and it blew my socks off. I want to share it with all the people I care about, especially those who drink diet pop, use Equal, Nutrasweet or other artificial sweeteners or have family members that do.

There's a well-known name that shows up 3/4 way through (may he rot in hell):

http://12-21-2012.ning.com/video/vid...sg_share_video
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Note to Kindlers et al: The BC Library system has a downloadable books section where you can download books for 3 weeks (and make a copy if you wish). Another good source of free material.
On second thoughts this won't work for Kindles, etc. They are audio files for Ipods and MP3 players.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:18 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

On second thoughts this won't work for Kindles, etc. They are audio files for Ipods and MP3 players.
Also, you have to be a member of the library. I thought they used to have e-books as well, though.

Most local libraries have good stuff in addition to what's on the shelves. It's worth joining and looking, and the more people get a library card, the less likely that the local council will think chopping libraries an easy saving.

Bev
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked in the computer industry most of my adult life. I love technology and wouldn't mind a Kindle or similar device but I have to say, as a confirmed bookaholic, that nothing replaces the feeling of holding a wonderful book in my hand. It is something of a sensual experience for me. ... so much more than just the text it contains. About 90% of the books I own are non-fiction and I consider them my reference library. On occasion I go to look up something in one book and hours later have pulled out many books that I want to keep in my current pile.

I am terribly sentimental about my books. I have the first book my Grandmother ever bought me when I was about 7 years old "Wild Flowers of Wayside and Woodland", the books she bought me when I passed the 11+, the books about horses and ponies, that my father bought me, etc. etc. I bring home or order on the net probably around 100 books a year if not more and everytime I try to cull them, I have a really hard time finding a few.

I would sell all of my other things before my books and when I go to England, my books are going with me.
I used to feel just like this. The sensual feel of the books - the way they really mattered to me - and then I got my iPad, tried an ebook and I haven't looked back.

I was the biggest naysayer on ebooks so I've amazed myself. But it's just more enjoyable to read on my iPad - especially because I can make the font as big as I want, and never have to worry about losing my place (which I did all the time). And when I go on a train or plane, I can take tons of books with me and read whatever I fancy.

Because of the sentimental attachment, we are taking some books home with us, but most have been donated and I know I'll never buy another paper book in my life.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
Also, you have to be a member of the library. I thought they used to have e-books as well, though.

Most local libraries have good stuff in addition to what's on the shelves. It's worth joining and looking, and the more people get a library card, the less likely that the local council will think chopping libraries an easy saving.

Bev
True Bev. I think I always assume that people belong to their local library because I consider it the world's greatest free resource.

We have a very small library here on Salt Spring, in fact the only volunteer run library in Canada, but I can get almost any book through Interlibrary Loan, which I do... often.

And of course now it is a great source of DVDs, CDs and other media.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I used to feel just like this. The sensual feel of the books - the way they really mattered to me - and then I got my iPad, tried an ebook and I haven't looked back.

I was the biggest naysayer on ebooks so I've amazed myself. But it's just more enjoyable to read on my iPad - especially because I can make the font as big as I want, and never have to worry about losing my place (which I did all the time). And when I go on a train or plane, I can take tons of books with me and read whatever I fancy.

Because of the sentimental attachment, we are taking some books home with us, but most have been donated and I know I'll never buy another paper book in my life.
This is something that is unlikely to change for me. I have tried ebooks and they have their moment but it hasn't chnged my love of paper books. To me it is the parallel of seeing a piece of art online or "in the flesh", but I acknowledge that it works for some people.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This is something that is unlikely to change for me. I have tried ebooks and they have their moment but it hasn't chnged my love of paper books. To me it is the parallel of seeing a piece of art online or "in the flesh", but I acknowledge that it works for some people.
As a librarian and a bookseller in my time I could never give up books, they are like friends to me; I still buy books that I want to keep. But the kindle does make it easier to read when travelling, and also is good for a lot of books that I won't read again. Bit of both worlds for me I guess
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't read much for pleasure these days (no time), but personally, my preferences would be:

Reading for pleasure (novels, biographies, etc.) - definitely the Kindle.

Reading pdf articles during conference trips - Kindle (for portability) but in other cirumstances, from my laptop (easier to annotate, etc.). I no longer print articles and write notes in the margins because I literally have boxes full of 1,000's of them and they are never where I want them (if I'm at home, I need ones that are at work, and vice versa).

Textbooks - paper copy (I always need to write notes in the margins and flip back and forth between pages, index, etc., and this just isn't feasible on the Kindle).

I agree with other peoples' comments about the feel of books, but the space-saving capabilities of the Kindle, especially for prtability, is what sells me on it.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:47 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

And of course now it is a great source of DVDs, CDs and other media.
Over here the libraries seem to charge for CDs, audio books, requests, on line reservations etc. I was spoiled by the Victoria library system which didn't charge extra for anything.

Another thing I've noted, though I'm not sure it's everywhere, is that libraries have been moved out of the town centre to new buildings on the edge, which makes them much less convenient for people to just drop in. The one in Whitby was near the town centre but on an upper floor in the police building. Hardly welcoming. Then the use drops and the councils look to closing them.

I do think libraries are central to a thriving culture, and people of all ages should be in and out, not having to pay for anything. Though acutally I wouldn't mind them charging for DVDs and computer games, because they aren't really books, or even "information services". But audio books are.

Bev
Old Dec 30th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I find a lot of Americanisms have been either adopted or accepted in the UK. I hear "math" instead of "maths" and "period" instead of "full stop" regularly, in everyday life and from TV presenters.
Agreed dunroving, how are you? good to see you again, I also notice the copycat words and expressions here in England,
Im amazed at the U.S. lingo used here on a daily basis with people and TV, they have all the American expressions here just a different accent thats all,
all this must have transformed over all the decades since Ive been away,
Like today a DJ on radio said
(its a done deal) other days Ive heard stuff from the British on TV & radio like ------- take a load off, chill out, be cool, or cool it, wasted, pissed off, ----- I havent heard happy camper yet though, but I have heard the word s--t said a lot, like no s--t, and thats for sure, and you got that right, they have them (all)

and sooooo many other sayings that enter into unsatisfactory or dirty language over here but would be regarded as every day talk in the U.S.
but they have managed to retain most of there own traditional expresions like ------ Brilliant, pratt, scarper, bugger, arse instead of ass, bonkers, codswholop, and sometimes you even hear from the older generation like
60,s and up like me ------ WHOOPSEEDASIE
Old Dec 31st 2011, 12:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Agreed dunroving, how are you? good to see you again, I also notice the copycat words and expressions here in England,
Im amazed at the U.S. lingo used here on a daily basis with people and TV, they have all the American expressions here just a different accent thats all,
all this must have transformed over all the decades since Ive been away,
Like today a DJ on radio said
(its a done deal) other days Ive heard stuff from the British on TV & radio like ------- take a load off, chill out, be cool, or cool it, wasted, pissed off, ----- I havent heard happy camper yet though, but I have heard the word s--t said a lot, like no s--t, and thats for sure, and you got that right, they have them (all)

and sooooo many other sayings that enter into unsatisfactory or dirty language over here but would be regarded as every day talk in the U.S.
but they have managed to retain most of there own traditional expresions like ------ Brilliant, pratt, scarper, bugger, arse instead of ass, bonkers, codswholop, and sometimes you even hear from the older generation like
60,s and up like me ------ WHOOPSEEDASIE
There are some Americanisms I quite like, and that I let slip when I'm teaching (well, it was nearly 23 years, old habits die hard).

The students always seem to like it when I describe something as being "pretty lame."

There are expressions here (Scotland) that are common language that you don't find in England - I'm forever having to correct the use of the term "outwith" in the students' papers. They are always surprised when I tell them it's not typically used in British English - then I ask them if they've ever seen it in a British newspaper, and the penny drops.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Over here the libraries seem to charge for CDs, audio books, requests, on line reservations etc. I was spoiled by the Victoria library system which didn't charge extra for anything.Another thing I've noted, though I'm not sure it's everywhere, is that libraries have been moved out of the town centre to new buildings on the edge, which makes them much less convenient for people to just drop in. The one in Whitby was near the town centre but on an upper floor in the police building. Hardly welcoming. Then the use drops and the councils look to closing them.

I do think libraries are central to a thriving culture, and people of all ages should be in and out, not having to pay for anything. Though acutally I wouldn't mind them charging for DVDs and computer games, because they aren't really books, or even "information services". But audio books are.

Bev
I don't have to pay for anything from the library here - even new books that I take out. My sister (who lives in Scotland) mentions that she has to pay a fee to request a book, DVD, etc. However, nothing is "free" and one reason that the library service here is so good is because we have very high property taxes that support the library (as well as education).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.