Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya
No I don't have an interview next week (yet!!) but what I was trying to say is you need to know and book at least a month or two beforehand to get these cheap deals, for instance I have seen online I can get to Runcorn from New Malden (when/if I get the job) for about £23 at Christmas, that is a hell of a saving over £73...........
Barb - have you considered taking the National Express buses? It can be much cheaper than taking the train. Or perhaps you could take a train part of the way and change to a bus or vice-versa.

I much prefer them over taking the trains (although tbh I've only really used them on their non-stop services from Central London or Heathrow airport to and from Coventry, where my family live and whenever I didn't want to rent a car.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would post as I have some unusual Frome news: on Friday night, late - say after 11pm, there was a shooting just outside of the place where I live with all the old people. I heard nothing, as I tune out the drunks with a sleeping pill. Anyhow, Saturday saw a team of forensics people, followed by another team who looked like an American SWAT team, followed by lots of other interesting police, blocked off roads, Police vans everywhere within a 2 mile radius. No idea about the details - will post when I do know. Such goings on in quiet, backwater, Frome, Somerset....
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Just thought I would post as I have some unusual Frome news: on Friday night, late - say after 11pm, there was a shooting just outside of the place where I live with all the old people. I heard nothing, as I tune out the drunks with a sleeping pill. Anyhow, Saturday saw a team of forensics people, followed by another team who looked like an American SWAT team, followed by lots of other interesting police, blocked off roads, Police vans everywhere within a 2 mile radius. No idea about the details - will post when I do know. Such goings on in quiet, backwater, Frome, Somerset....
Good grief!

bit of a shock I guess?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, here's an article about it:

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Repo...ail/story.html

And a photo gallery:

http://www.fromepeople.co.uk/picture.../pictures.html
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Rosie, Ive never liked your reports of the goings on outside your home, I think I would look hard for a place where you can live in peace (minus the ear plugs), wether its in Frome or somewhere else, Best Wishes.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Barb - have you considered taking the National Express buses? It can be much cheaper than taking the train. Or perhaps you could take a train part of the way and change to a bus or vice-versa.

I much prefer them over taking the trains (although tbh I've only really used them on their non-stop services from Central London or Heathrow airport to and from Coventry, where my family live and whenever I didn't want to rent a car.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

I remember getting one years ago to save money with my mum from Heathrow and the thing took HOURS and the onboard toilet was broken and it was just awful, but maybe things have improved, I will look into it for next time, thanks for the timely reminder.

Oh new emoticons I see!!
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Rosie I really am shocked!!!

What's happening with your plans for a move to somewhere quieter? It all takes time I suppose..........take care and do keep in touch.

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 15th 2011 at 6:36 am.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 2:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Rosie, Ive never liked your reports of the goings on outside your home, I think I would look hard for a place where you can live in peace (minus the ear plugs), wether its in Frome or somewhere else, Best Wishes.
They have always bothered me too.
Stay safe Rosie and look for a better place to live
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Its a crazy world out there

Did you read about the airline passengers who were asked to come up with the money so they could take off. They needed the money to buy fuel for the aircraft.

Then today I read that a plane was about to land in New York and the airline captain-pilot had gone to the lavatory and got locked in.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...security-scare
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Update on the shooting as reported in yesterday's Somerset Standard newspaper:

3 yobs (my wording here) using an air rifle in their early 20s shot another one twice, at least once in the eye. They have been remanded to Taunton Crown Court. Al seem to live in the area I used to live in before I moved to the old folk's home... which area is just up the road from here. More when I know more.

Over and out from sunny, mild Somerset.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Update on the shooting as reported in yesterday's Somerset Standard newspaper:

3 yobs (my wording here) using an air rifle in their early 20s shot another one twice, at least once in the eye. They have been remanded to Taunton Crown Court. Al seem to live in the area I used to live in before I moved to the old folk's home... which area is just up the road from here. More when I know more.

Over and out from sunny, mild Somerset.
Well I suspected it would be something along those lines...

My family live quite close by...

Not great ...but not a ghetto
Old Nov 20th 2011, 1:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Children in Need 2011, East Enders cast "do" Queen, brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvazIC7vsFQ
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

That was fabulous!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

OMG You made my day! That was fantastic! I am both an Eastenders fan and a huge Queen fan. I used to work above a record store in Copley Square in Boston. They were in town for a concert and popped into the record store to sign albums so I have a signed copy of the "A Night at the Opera" album and was lucky enough to have a chat with them when Freddie was still alive.
There will only ever be one Freddie but wasn't Christian great.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:11 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by bandrui
OMG You made my day! That was fantastic! I am both an Eastenders fan and a huge Queen fan. I used to work above a record store in Copley Square in Boston. They were in town for a concert and popped into the record store to sign albums so I have a signed copy of the "A Night at the Opera" album and was lucky enough to have a chat with them when Freddie was still alive.
There will only ever be one Freddie but wasn't Christian great.
It was great and very well done I thought. I loved Ian as a woman doing the hoovering, he almost passes for a woman too.

Wow lucky you meeting Queen and also your fame by association client too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.