Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

The plot thickens even more, the chief whistleblower has been found dead at his home, police are now waiting on post mortem results.............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...sults-due.html

When I moved to Australia in 1981 there were two big media money families, one were the Packers and the other were the Murdochs....
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I am glued to the telly watching and listening to the start of newsgate UK...it is unreal the convolutions involved in this case. There is a Jamaican saying 'Tief never prosper' (a thief never prospers) and I sincerely hope this gets to be the case here.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It's on every news channel here right now, including Fox amazingly enough.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Beedubya how are you? I have just watched this video and it brought back so many memories, in the background there is a photo of Liberace.... OMG my husband was working in the Hotel Australia, in Adelaide, we married there, and Liberace was a resident, my husband was head waiter then( today the would be called restauant managers)and he looked after Liberace on his visit to Austrailia in 1971/2. Anyway my husband asked him for an autograph, and he took an menu and scribbled something on it. when he gave it to my husband , he had drawn a piano with a candleabra, and said to "Denise with love Liberace", my husband siad he did it without the pen leaving the paper, anyway I gave it to my mother, and when my dad died and the house got sold it disapeared, I was so angry, My husband said he was a real gentleman, so polite and just nice. I suppose not many people remember him butr he was a real showman.
I remember Liberace. In fact we went to his live show here in Dallas in the 80's. I remember him walking on the stage in a floor length white fur coat. He had enormous diamond rings on almost every finger. Three years ago we went to the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas. It was not in a very good area but it was fun to see all those pianos etc., Ihear it has since closed down which didnt surprise me at all as we were the only visitors.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:00 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Beedubya how are you? I have just watched this video and it brought back so many memories, in the background there is a photo of Liberace.... OMG my husband was working in the Hotel Australia, in Adelaide, we married there, and Liberace was a resident, my husband was head waiter then( today the would be called restauant managers)and he looked after Liberace on his visit to Austrailia in 1971/2. Anyway my husband asked him for an autograph, and he took an menu and scribbled something on it. when he gave it to my husband , he had drawn a piano with a candleabra, and said to "Denise with love Liberace", my husband siad he did it without the pen leaving the paper, anyway I gave it to my mother, and when my dad died and the house got sold it disapeared, I was so angry, My husband said he was a real gentleman, so polite and just nice. I suppose not many people remember him butr he was a real showman.
I remember Liberace. In fact we went to his live show here in Dallas in the 80's. I remember him walking on the stage in a floor length white fur coat. He had enormous diamond rings on almost every finger. Three years ago we went to the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas. It was not in a very good area but it was fun to see all those pianos etc., Ihear it has since closed down which didnt surprise me at all as we were the only visitors.
Ah that's a shame about the museum closing down but I don't suppose anybody under say 50 would even know who he was.

Well except for the guy on the video I posted of course LOL!!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Not surprisingly, Fox News is pretending this isn't happening other than someone occasionally doing a heavily spun story and chastising the rest of the media for jumping on the attack. I mainly watch MSNBC and it's had a lot of coverage on there though.

Not as much as it would normally get because the country is on the brink of a financial collapse thanks to some in congress refusing to raise the debt limit. Looks like we might all be in debtor's prison this time next year!
WOW Sally I had no Idea it was that bad over there in U.S. you just never here too much of Americas economy over here so Ive been out of touch for a while, but of course I could see the writing on the wall before I left
It certainly looks like I got out of Dodge just in time!!!!!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WOW Sally I had no Idea it was that bad over there in U.S. you just never here too much of Americas economy over here so Ive been out of touch for a while, but of course I could see the writing on the wall before I left
It certainly looks like I got out of Dodge just in time!!!!!
It's quite scary. They have until August 2nd to lift the debt ceiling limit, or else the US will go into default on its debts. Just like Greece and Ireland - only this is totally unnecessary. If it actually were to happen, the whole world economy would suffer. Let's just hope some of the tea party people see sense before everything goes up in flames.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

I remember his show and his long fur coats, and one of his rings was a grand piano.... imagine!!!, but I loved him and he always spoke of his mother. I was in Vegas once, and I never knew about the museum, I would have loved to have seen it, pity. hope you are well Celticspirit Denise2

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:01 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I remember his show and his long fur coats, and one of his rings was a grand piano.... imagine!!!, but I loved him and he always spoke of his mother. I was in Vegas once, and I never knew about the museum, I would have loved to have seen it, pity. hope you are well Celticspirit Denise2
Hi Denise - yes I remember seeing the grand piano ring.
I look at PropertyPal often to check out the real estate. Rentals have really gone up but I think it is a wise first move. House prices are still dropping. I still hope to live in South Belfast somewhere. I am happy to hear you are enjoying being back.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:02 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

I look at PropertyPal often to check out the real estate. Rentals have really gone up but I think it is a wise first move. House prices are still dropping. I still hope to live in South Belfast somewhere. I am happy to hear you are enjoying being back.
The rental market is stupid at the moment, there is such a demand they can ask monopoly money for it. I am enjoying it here, and have joined Shandon Golf Club on the Knock road (do you know it) hoping to meet new friends there. The only downside is the weather, we have not had a lot of sun just grey skies all the time and it becomes a little depressing, the south of England and even southern Ireland get better weather, and it is cold, I like the seasons, and don't mind rain, and snow when the season demands, but I do like a couple of months of nice weather in the summer to carry us through the winters, definately the climate is changing, and not for the better. 6 months here and 6 months somewhere warm would be lovely if it was affordable, unfortunately for us its not

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:03 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

The rental market is stupid at the moment, there is such a demand they can ask monopoly money for it. I am enjoying it here, and have joined Shandon Golf Club on the Knock road (do you know it) hoping to meet new friends there. The only downside is the weather, we have not had a lot of sun just grey skies all the time and it becomes a little depressing, the south of England and even southern Ireland get better weather, and it is cold, I like the seasons, and don't mind rain, and snow when the season demands, but I do like a couple of months of nice weather in the summer to carry us through the winters, definately the climate is changing, and not for the better. 6 months here and 6 months somewhere warm would be lovely if it was affordable, unfortunately for us its not
I know those of us going through 24 straight days over 100F think you are crazy! Seriously, Belfast has been described as a grey city with grey people.....most likely due lack of sunhine. Having done (just like Barb) the zigzagging several times.....when I was much more financially stable.....I almost like the fact I will have to stay and learn to love it. I am stubborn, spoilt and now for the first time in my life I will have to be responsible for me. A doctor's wife and then a lawyer's wife and now there will only be me and no one's wife. I think at 67 it will force me to grow up......still pretty scary....

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:04 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I know those of us going through 24 straight days over 100F think you are crazy! Seriously, Belfast has been described as a grey city with grey people.....most likely due lack of sunhine. Having done (just like Barb) the zigzagging several times.....when I was much more financially stable.....I almost like the fact I will have to stay and learn to love it. I am stubborn, spoilt and now for the first time in my life I will have to be responsible for me. A doctor's wife and then a lawyer's wife and now there will only be me and no one's wife. I think at 67 it will force me to grow up......still pretty scary....
Also Denise.....of course I know Shandon Golf Club. Lovely area. I took golf lessons here in Dallas at Northwood Country Club where we were members. The coach fired my best friend and me after two lessons. Can you just imagine how pathetic we were after a $60,000 initiation fee????

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:04 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Celticspirit, you will be suprised at how strong you can be when necessary. You will come into your own I am sure of it

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:05 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Also Denise.....of course I know Shandon Golf Club. Lovely area. I took golf lessons here in Dallas at Northwood Country Club where we were members. The coach fired my best friend and me after two lessons. Can you just imagine how pathetic we were after a $60,000 initiation fee????
I think that is a first for me to hear, don't give up, it is a great way to meet friends if you come back

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:07 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:59 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

I was 'home' in Lisburn last year and took a trip into Belfast. It was cold and wet but the warmth of the people made up for it. There is still nothing like an ulster fry. OH played golf at Balmoral and loved it.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:06 pm. Reason: trying to correctly attribute the quotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.