Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One last goodbye from Sydney to the UK

One last goodbye from Sydney to the UK

Old May 6th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default One last goodbye from Sydney to the UK

Hi everyone

After a total of 20 months in Australia, 17 months in Melbourne and 3 months in Sydney, we leave these shores and head for the UK on Thursday. Our house has finally come free in the UK (we rented it out thk goodness), and I just wanted to wish you all well and hope that if you are wanting to 'home', wherever that may be, then good luck.

As most of you know, I haven't really ever settled here, we came over with our children, 4 and 2 now, for what we percieved to be 'better lifestyle', it has been real struggle, not for want of trying, my OH, a Civil Engineer slotted right in and I, well tried to. Melbourne is a beautiful City....we lived in Hawthorn East to begin with, about 30 mins on the tram into the City, this is where the alarm bells were ringing! I found it so clinical, lacking in character, I remember looking down the road at all of the wheelie bins, all in straight lines and thought I was in 'The Truman film'. I went to playgroups and in general found the other mum's to be quite, how shall i put it...icy and cold.

We moved to Coburg and now, looking back this was quite a vibrant area, very multicultural and busy, much better than the east side, myself and little ones joined everything, playgroups, swimming and music groups ect but I felt something was distinctly 'missing', friendships, family and the heat in Melbourne, well, it's quite severe at 42 degrees. We did lots of family stuff at the weekend, explored Melbourne, The Great Ocean Road was amazing, so too The Mornington Peninsular, but I found that once we explored everywhere, I was bored out of my mind, give me Barbados or India any day.

I underestimated how the feeling of not belonging and trying to make friends (I made two 'friends' in my time here') and a whole new life really would affect my health, me as a person and our marriage. My OH's working hours were intense, 12 hour days and Saturdays were pretty hard and as someone has said, I felt like I was going round in a goldfish bowl, on a roundabout, doing the same thing, trying to keep normality for our children. My son asking for his Grandma, living in rented houses that cost the earth, dying to have a decent conversation with anyone!! the isolation, the absolute feeling of overwhelming claustrophobia!!! Get the picture?!!

Then there was Sydney....no denying the amazing Ferry ride from Manly, a huge highlight and the walk from Bondi to Bronte beaches but don't get me started on how much it costs to live here....we (well, that's me, as I just can't live here) had already decided to leave Australia before coming to Sydney, but I did a little research to see what if..my OH is on a very good salery here and even if we sold our house in the UK, we would struggle to buy here, maybe somewhere in Southern Sydney (we are in a furnished house in Sylvannia, couldn't afford it around here). Cronulla reminds me of something out of a horror movie, quite desolate and depressing.

Overall, nice but no thanks, I need more than nice beaches and expensive overated houses, tourist attractions, 4 x 4's., swimming pools, just so glad, happy, relieved we are heading home....bye for now, ann x I'll give you an update from the other side!!!! Try you Crystal before we go!!!!!!
Old May 6th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: One last goodbye from Sydney to the UK

Good Luck on your return back HOME have a safe journey x

Wont be many left at this rate
Old May 6th 2008, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on your move back to sanity! Bon Voyage. So sorry it didnt work out for you but what you have said rings bells with many of us!
Old May 6th 2008, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happy4
Hi everyone

After a total of 20 months in Australia, 17 months in Melbourne and 3 months in Sydney, we leave these shores and head for the UK on Thursday. Our house has finally come free in the UK (we rented it out thk goodness), and I just wanted to wish you all well and hope that if you are wanting to 'home', wherever that may be, then good luck.

As most of you know, I haven't really ever settled here, we came over with our children, 4 and 2 now, for what we percieved to be 'better lifestyle', it has been real struggle, not for want of trying, my OH, a Civil Engineer slotted right in and I, well tried to. Melbourne is a beautiful City....we lived in Hawthorn East to begin with, about 30 mins on the tram into the City, this is where the alarm bells were ringing! I found it so clinical, lacking in character, I remember looking down the road at all of the wheelie bins, all in straight lines and thought I was in 'The Truman film'. I went to playgroups and in general found the other mum's to be quite, how shall i put it...icy and cold.

We moved to Coburg and now, looking back this was quite a vibrant area, very multicultural and busy, much better than the east side, myself and little ones joined everything, playgroups, swimming and music groups ect but I felt something was distinctly 'missing', friendships, family and the heat in Melbourne, well, it's quite severe at 42 degrees. We did lots of family stuff at the weekend, explored Melbourne, The Great Ocean Road was amazing, so too The Mornington Peninsular, but I found that once we explored everywhere, I was bored out of my mind, give me Barbados or India any day.

I underestimated how the feeling of not belonging and trying to make friends (I made two 'friends' in my time here') and a whole new life really would affect my health, me as a person and our marriage. My OH's working hours were intense, 12 hour days and Saturdays were pretty hard and as someone has said, I felt like I was going round in a goldfish bowl, on a roundabout, doing the same thing, trying to keep normality for our children. My son asking for his Grandma, living in rented houses that cost the earth, dying to have a decent conversation with anyone!! the isolation, the absolute feeling of overwhelming claustrophobia!!! Get the picture?!!

Then there was Sydney....no denying the amazing Ferry ride from Manly, a huge highlight and the walk from Bondi to Bronte beaches but don't get me started on how much it costs to live here....we (well, that's me, as I just can't live here) had already decided to leave Australia before coming to Sydney, but I did a little research to see what if..my OH is on a very good salery here and even if we sold our house in the UK, we would struggle to buy here, maybe somewhere in Southern Sydney (we are in a furnished house in Sylvannia, couldn't afford it around here). Cronulla reminds me of something out of a horror movie, quite desolate and depressing.

Overall, nice but no thanks, I need more than nice beaches and expensive overated houses, tourist attractions, 4 x 4's., swimming pools, just so glad, happy, relieved we are heading home....bye for now, ann x I'll give you an update from the other side!!!! Try you Crystal before we go!!!!!!

Oh Ann

I was just thinking about you yesterday. I am really pleased you have sorted your life out now but really sad to see you go but I know it is the best thing you can do. I'll miss you.

Hope it all works out for you. See you next year.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old May 6th 2008, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Well... you've given it a 'fair go'. It's not for you or your family. It's a big struggle to come away out here, but you did it, and hopefully it's out of your system now.

Good luck with the rest of your life, many adventures to come I suspect.

Take good care, and live well, regret nowt!

M
Old May 12th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Waaaghhhh! Can't believe you've gone!
Just stoke those Brummy fires for us lass, hopefully we'll catch-up soon for a drink over there. Hurry-up and give us an update!
Old May 12th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

HI Ann

I am really chuffed you are finally going home

~My hubby and I have been in an incredibly similiar situation to yours, he loved it I hated it. I was constantly on my own with the kids both weekdays and weekends. I had become a single mother with no friends or family to share anything with. Anyway to cut a long story short OH and me have gotten through it and now we are shortly to return to the UK and our marriage is in a better place than it was when we arrived.

It can and will work out you just have to put in the time and effort. Good luck on thursday.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

All the very best Ann back home

Keep us posted eh? xxxx
Old May 13th 2008, 3:48 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Ann,

Hope you enjoyed your 1st weekend back in beloved blighty Thanks again for your kind & understanding message the other day. I just hope I can last as long as you so no-one can say I didn't try!

Take care
Jools