Reload this Page >

Once a nomad..............

Once a nomad..............

Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Wella1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Once a nomad..............

Hi,
I'm interested to find out if anyone has originally emigrated to Canada, then moved back to the UK and still can't settle, so have, or are considering going back to Canada? Myself and my hubby emigrated to NS back in 2012 then after 5 1/2 yrs came "home" I personally was feeling very lonely and isolated and couldn't see past the things I considered negative. Hubby agreed for the most part and obviously supported the decision, however he is now the driving force behind the idea of heading back across the pond. Any advice please? (we renounced our PR too - big mistake!)
Old Aug 21st 2020, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

GOALFIRE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Once a nomad..............

Originally Posted by Wella1
Hi,
I'm interested to find out if anyone has originally emigrated to Canada, then moved back to the UK and still can't settle, so have, or are considering going back to Canada? Myself and my hubby emigrated to NS back in 2012 then after 5 1/2 yrs came "home" I personally was feeling very lonely and isolated and couldn't see past the things I considered negative. Hubby agreed for the most part and obviously supported the decision, however he is now the driving force behind the idea of heading back across the pond. Any advice please? (we renounced our PR too - big mistake!)
I don't have any advise but I'd be interested (and grateful) if you could expand a little about why your return to the UK was not successful one? Contemplating a return to the UK from the US in a few years by which time I'll have been here +20 years along with my US wife who's been here he whole life (aside from a year in the UK as a student). Most of the updates on returning are positive on this board so I'm interested to hear about ones that are not and what specifically caused the regret. Thanks in advance if you choose to reply.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Hi, It's not a case of the move being unsuccessful, initially when you are first back it's almost like you were never here before and have to get re-established with the authorities etc as you then have no history i.e.financial etc. Also, it feels more like people we left here have moved on and also that we feel like we didn't give Canada a chance. In hindsight we probably moved to a town which was too small and quiet and did consider a move to the "city" at that time but then just decided to come home. Wish there was a quick fix
Old Aug 21st 2020, 11:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wella1
Hi, It's not a case of the move being unsuccessful, initially when you are first back it's almost like you were never here before and have to get re-established with the authorities etc as you then have no history i.e.financial etc. Also, it feels more like people we left here have moved on and also that we feel like we didn't give Canada a chance. In hindsight we probably moved to a town which was too small and quiet and did consider a move to the "city" at that time but then just decided to come home. Wish there was a quick fix
Really sorry to hear you're struggling. Lots of 'ping pong Poms' on here that have bounced backwards and forwards, so you aren't alone.

Have you looked to see if you'd be eligible for a new visa for Canada as the first step?
Old Aug 21st 2020, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. yes, looks like we will have to go through the whole process again C'mon anyone that has ping-ponged, let me know things to consider etc. TIA
Old Sep 29th 2020, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

We moved to B.C in 2013, then back to the UK in 2017. Then back to B.C in 2019. Currently contemplating a shotgun move to Europe before Brexit - when my right to live there elapses.

Reason for going back now is mostly down to Covid and being close to parents and family. We're raising kids out here and with no family around it can be pretty isolating. Our families are unlikely to make it out here for at least a couple of years and it's hard to get back because of the crappy Canadian holiday allowances.

Personally I love the environment and lifestyle (on Van Isle) so it's a tough move back in that sense. The people are generally very nice in a polite, superficial way. It's not easy finding genuine folks I find.

Last edited by biggayowl; Sep 29th 2020 at 2:05 am.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 7:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Currently contemplating a shotgun move to Europe before Brexit - when my right to live there elapses.
You'll need to be quick, my understanding is that you don't only need to have moved by 31st Dec, you need to have established residency there by that date, depending on the country. But if you ask in the forum for the country you're interested in, they'll tell you what you need to do to be considered resident and be able to stay visa free from next year.

Good luck.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'll need to be quick, my understanding is that you don't only need to have moved by 31st Dec, you need to have established residency there by that date, depending on the country. But if you ask in the forum for the country you're interested in, they'll tell you what you need to do to be considered resident and be able to stay visa free from next year.

Good luck.
Thanks. We're looking to go to Sweden as that's where my other half is from.

It feels as though we're blowing up our lives here in BC but Sweden does have major pros for us even though I'm anticipating it to be a struggle at first

I need to register as living there before Dec 31st and then have up to September next year to complete the process.

Old Sep 30th 2020, 9:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We're looking to go to Sweden as that's where my other half is from. .... I need to register as living there before Dec 31st and then have up to September next year to complete the process.
If your "partner" is Swedish surely you can move there at any time even if you're not married (so long as you can prove that you're cohabiting), or indeed anywhere else the European Onion? I.e. Brexit is irrelevant to you, isn't it?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2020 at 9:41 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If your "partner" is Swedish surely you can move there at any time even if you're not married (so long as you can prove that you're cohabiting), or indeed anywhere else the European Onion? I.e. Brexit is irrelevant to you, isn't it?
I can apply to become a resident at Sweden at any time after December 31st thru my partner. However, the process takes anywhere between 10 and 18 months, during which time my partner and kids would need to be living in Sweden whilst I remain outside of the country...either UK or Canada. Obviously this is a very unappealing option. It would then take more time to get a Swedish social security number, without which it's hard to even open a bank account there.

Got to love brexit. Turns out freedom of movement is a great thing.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 10:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Got to love brexit. .....
I do, thank you.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I do, thank you.
You're welcome (to it)
Old Oct 1st 2020, 1:40 am

You're welcome (to it)
But it's a gift we can all enjoy.