Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OMFG!! OH got the job!! We're Going to Scotland!!

OMFG!! OH got the job!! We're Going to Scotland!!

Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Talking OMFG!! OH got the job!! We're Going to Scotland!!

So my husband had an interview on Memorial Day in Scotland for a Database Administrator position. He was told that they had to interview a few other candidates, and would make a decision this week. Weelllll, the recruiter contacted him this morning to say they are offering him the job!! We are just pending an actual written electronic offer at this point. I do think they also still want to check his references, which shouldn't be a big deal!

Needless to say, it feels a bit surreal and not quite real yet. We've talked about moving back several times over the years, and can't quite believe this is going to happen. We were planning a relocation about 3-6months ago, but since he wasn't getting any bites on his resume/CV, we figured we would just have to put off moving for another year or two until we had saved up more money for us to go over without actual employment. So after we had given up on moving anytime soon, this opportunity just sorta fell into his lap because the recruiter went out of his way to contact DH.

I'm feeling a combination of dancing for joy, and feeling shit scared that we are actually going to do this!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OMFG!! OH got the job!! We're Going to Scotland!!

Congratulations!!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Many congratulations

How exciting for you both, lots to think about, hope we can help you.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Lucky sod! Congrats.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How exciting for you both, lots to think about, hope we can help you.
Yes, there is quite a bit to think about as I've never planned an international move before! Was just going to start drawing up a list of things to do.

The part we have to start first, though, is my visa. I need to make sure I know what needs to be sent. Biggest hurdle with the visa, however, is that we'll likely have to use his folks address as our place to live as we haven't found our own place yet.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Yes, there is quite a bit to think about as I've never planned an international move before! Was just going to start drawing up a list of things to do.

The part we have to start first, though, is my visa. I need to make sure I know what needs to be sent. Biggest hurdle with the visa, however, is that we'll likely have to use his folks address as our place to live as we haven't found our own place yet.
There should be some people who know how all that works in the "Moving back to the UK' forum.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Well done that man! Congrats to you both

I'm so insanely jealous, of course, but still - good news indeed.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
Lucky sod! Congrats.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:05 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

That's fantastic news, congratulations. What part of Scotland will you be moving to? not that I know it well, I just love Edinburgh.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoooo, that's fabulous Congratulations to you both, I'm so excited for you. I think there are a couple of threads currently in the MBTUK forum about spousal visas.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The job is located in a town about 30min south of Glasgow. I think we'll be setting up house in a town called Ayr, which is right on the west coast. He went there after the interview, and was quite impressed with it. He said there was a great promenade, complete with a beach. I've already been checking out places to rent on rightmove.co.uk, but I'm not sure what kind of budget we should have for rent yet.

If his salary is £30k, how much would the net income be after taxes?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The job is located in a town about 30min south of Glasgow. I think we'll be setting up house in a town called Ayr, which is right on the west coast. He went there after the interview, and was quite impressed with it. He said there was a great promenade, complete with a beach. I've already been checking out places to rent on rightmove.co.uk, but I'm not sure what kind of budget we should have for rent yet.

Ayr's a lovely place. I'm very, very jealous now
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This gives you the tax rates:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

It looks like he would get the first 7,475 without tax deducted and then pay 20% on the rest. He would also get National Insurance deducted and maybe and amount for an occupational pension.

this shows the National insurance rates:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/News...2009/DG_183037
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:20 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds lovely

According to the link below 22,762 GBP
http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ayr's a lovely place. I'm very, very jealous now
Well, if you like it that much, then I hope I'll enjoy living there too.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
This gives you the tax rates:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

It looks like he would get the first 7,475 without tax deducted and then pay 20% on the rest. He would also get National Insurance deducted and maybe and amount for an occupational pension.

this shows the National insurance rates:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/News...2009/DG_183037
Originally Posted by N1cky
Sounds lovely

According to the link below 22,762 GBP
http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
Cheers! I was looking for some links but I wasn't sure what search words to use to find them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.