British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/ok-so-what-do-you-think-about-biscuits-gravy-565502/)

Floridared Oct 6th 2008 1:08 pm

Re: Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'?

Not into biscuits and Gravy, but have tried the Steak with Southern Style Gravy and it was okay. I have several cooks at my Restaurant, some Spanish, and decided to treat them to Bacon Butties one day, I can't keep em off em now! Every time we go in to clean the Restaurant on a Monday, they seem frightened to death if I don't go and buy Bacon for them!! I did the full breakfast thing once, Egg, Bacon, Sausage, Heinz Beans, Mushrooms, fried Tomatoes and of course, Black Pudding. Everone loved it, but I'm Buggered if I'm making that for them evey week!! :D

Brit3964 Oct 6th 2008 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 6849983)
Is that why she's your ex? ;)

Seriously though, has anyone found an American that actually like Marmite? All the ones that I have let try it have turned their noses up. Then they go and eat PB & J. There is something very wrong there...

Not far off the truth! I'll admit it is an acquired taste. Seems you either love it or hate it. PB&J is probably much the same. I'm not a big peanut butter fan although I like peanuts. Weird eh?

bevinva Oct 6th 2008 1:29 pm

Biscuits and gravy are good, mainly because it means my OH is cooking!

The worst peanut thing I've seen is boiled peanuts.

Ingurland Oct 6th 2008 4:40 pm

never had 'em.

auntie_wolf Oct 6th 2008 5:15 pm

As far as "biscuits and gravy" goes, I really do not like it one bit.

Nearly everyone I have met who eats it says the same thing to me..."Oh, you've not had them the way my "random-family-member-here" cooks 'em!"
Blech..no matter who cooks them.

Another American treat, this one from the NJ area I belive, is scrapple. As far as I can tell, it is the griddle scrapings served in a dish...perhaps over eggs IIRC. Erm..no thanks.

PB&J is pretty good, as well as PB with bananas, but not fried.

BritishGuy36 Oct 6th 2008 9:24 pm

Nice, good and plentiful responses.

Grateful to see I'm in the majority! (well so far anyway) ;)

Tracym Oct 6th 2008 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power (Post 6849829)
backstroke or crawl :confused:

Used to think it looked disgusting....tried the wife's home cooked version and its not half bad ....lots of sausage and black pepper ....

I like them once in a while, when I make them. The bland white stuff in most restaurants is disgusting. But with lots of sausage and pepper, they're good on occasion.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6849875)
Looks like a cow pat. :eek:

Re. ABYs slinger - I believe the same pic in another thread was referred to as cat diarrhoea. Shudder.

another bloody yank Oct 6th 2008 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6852207)
I like them once in a while, when I make them. The bland white stuff in most restaurants is disgusting. But with lots of sausage and pepper, they're good on occasion.

Re. ABYs slinger - I believe the same pic in another thread was referred to as cat diarrhoea. Shudder.

It tastes better than it looks...:lol:

TruBrit Oct 6th 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6852235)

and well greases the inner workings no doubt :lol:

morning aby :wub:

Tracym Oct 7th 2008 12:02 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6852235)

I will have to take your word for it - because I assure you, I will NEVER find out for myself. :)

another bloody yank Oct 7th 2008 12:05 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6852240)
and well greases the inner workings no doubt :lol:

morning aby :wub:

Probably, although they are usually (In my experience anyway) consumed after a fair amount of alcohol so it's tough to tell which did the job...

Good morning TruBrit :)

another bloody yank Oct 7th 2008 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6852272)
I will have to take your word for it - because I assure you, I will NEVER find out for myself. :)

Eggs, hamburger, cheese, onions, taters and chili... all good stuff.:) If you're ever in STL... the Courtesy Diner on Kingshighway is the place.;)

Titchski Oct 7th 2008 12:37 am

I like biscuits and gravy now and then. I might have to try making my own though, only ever had it when I've been at a diner down here.

TruBrit Oct 7th 2008 12:41 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6852299)
Eggs, hamburger, cheese, onions, taters and chili... all good stuff.:) If you're ever in STL... the Courtesy Diner on Kingshighway is the place.;)

i quite like hot chilli with scrambled eggs over as a brunch but not in a greasy spoon......

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 12:52 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6849700)
....or 'tasteless scones with flour and bacon/sausage grease', as I prefer to call them.

The most disgusting food source known to man, IMHO, am I alone?

You're not alone, your description sums up my thoughts on them pretty accurately lol

TruBrit Oct 7th 2008 12:53 am

....or 'tasteless scones with flour and bacon/sausage grease', as I prefer to call them.

sorry, grits tops my list.

Tracym Oct 7th 2008 12:57 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6852464)

I'm with you.

MrEmjoy Oct 7th 2008 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 6849934)
The so-called "biscuits" are ok but the gravy?? Yuk :thumbdown:

I'll never forget the look on my ex's face after she first tried Marmite. Was priceless. Suffice to say, she didn't like it much! I love it myself.

Love Marmite.... I understand why she's the EX now though...

Never had a Biscuit, that wasn't anything other than what 'y'all call cookies' I don't intend to eat one either.

There's a place in Downtown Chicago where I can actually ask for a 'Bacon Sandwich" and get bacon in the middle of two slices of thin bread with HP sauce if so desired.

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 1:23 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6852464)

Ewww grits. The only way I could actually make grits palatable, was to stir 3 or 4 tbs of strawberry jam into the bowl.
I originally thought "it must be a southern thing", but now I know plenty of people that grew up here in FL that can't stand the thought of them either.

Tracym Oct 7th 2008 1:28 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852504)
Love Marmite.... I understand why she's the EX now though...

Never had a Biscuit, that wasn't anything other than what 'y'all call cookies' I don't intend to eat one either.

There's a place in Downtown Chicago where I can actually ask for a 'Bacon Sandwich" and get bacon in the middle of two slices of thin bread with HP sauce if so desired.

Biscuits are not scary :)

MrEmjoy Oct 7th 2008 1:30 am

I know, I just dont like the idea of gravy over bread for breakfast, the only time I'll eat bread and gravy is after a Sunday dinner or lunch.

I like grits, with butter and sugar. And oatmeal, its good for you.

Tracym Oct 7th 2008 1:32 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852585)
I know, I just dont like the idea of gravy over bread for breakfast, the only time I'll eat bread and gravy is after a Sunday dinner or lunch.

I'm not that big on any gravy - although I'll eat a bit on occasion.

Biscuits can be nice for breakfast - with butter and jam though.

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6852579)
Biscuits are not scary :)

But with the gravy involved, then they become..... ergch
:shudder:

MrEmjoy Oct 7th 2008 1:34 am

ok, clear this up for me...

What is a biscuit, I get the impression that its an English muffin gone wrong.

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 1:38 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852585)

ra

Do we take that to mean the oatmeal is good for you, but without all the extra sugar and the fatty high cholesterol of the butter?
Or are you saying that the butter and sugar with a bit of oatmeal mixed in is healthy? ;)

Tracym Oct 7th 2008 1:41 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852600)

No, nothing like and English muffin.

They remind me a little of a scone, but not sweet. They can be more flaky though.

http://www.real-restaurant-recipes.com/Biscuit.html

zargof Oct 7th 2008 1:46 am

Originally Posted by englishinfl (Post 6852551)
Ewww grits. The only way I could actually make grits palatable, was to stir 3 or 4 tbs of strawberry jam into the bowl.
I originally thought "it must be a southern thing", but now I know plenty of people that grew up here in FL that can't stand the thought of them either.

FL isn't really Southern though. Geographically yes, but metaphorically no. But as my friend said: grits are a butter delivery mechanism.

MrEmjoy Oct 7th 2008 1:49 am

Originally Posted by englishinfl (Post 6852606)
ra

Do we take that to mean the oatmeal is good for you, but without all the extra sugar and the fatty high cholesterol of the butter?
Or are you saying that the butter and sugar with a bit of oatmeal mixed in is healthy? ;)

I have Oatmeal on its own, or with raisins.

I have grits with other stuff because it tastes like shit.

MrEmjoy Oct 7th 2008 1:50 am

Tracy:

They look like scones as well.

cindyabs Oct 7th 2008 1:56 am

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 6852648)
FL isn't really Southern though. Geographically yes, but metaphorically no. But as my friend said: grits are a butter delivery mechanism.

Over in the county my mother lives in in the Florida Panhandle, there are plenty of "old time" Floridians and believe me-southern would be the correct description-grits, catfish and banana pudding reign.

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 1:58 am

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 6852648)
FL isn't really Southern though.

?? Err... Try telling that to a true Floridian.
Ok, I'll rephrase it to make it more accurate to those that didn't want to understand what I was saying....
Originally I thought, it was a "southern" or Florida thing, because I hadn't been here for many weeks and I must have mistakenly thought in my ignorance that being here in Tampa, this part of peninsular Florida was geographically pretty well the most southern state of the US, and hence, southern.

Did they mean because of the butter involved in making them, or used on them?
I honestly see more gravy than butter used on them down here.

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 2:03 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6852678)
Over in the county my mother lives in in the Florida Panhandle, there are plenty of "old time" Floridians and believe me-southern would be the correct description-grits, catfish and banana pudding reign.

Thank you for the confirmation. ;) I didn't think I was being wrong in suggesting that FL was southern in it's ways, even if I am an uneducated English immigrant.
Plenty of Catfish, grits, banana pudding, smoked mullet and cajun chicken around on the menu's down here in Tampa too.
Get this, I've even seen soft shelled turtle on a menu, didn't try it, but I know people that have.

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 2:05 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852660)

LoL. Can't deny that it's apparently not to everyone's taste, mine included.

cindyabs Oct 7th 2008 2:06 am

Originally Posted by englishinfl (Post 6852699)
Thank you for the confirmation. ;) I didn't think I was being wrong in suggesting that FL was southern in it's ways, even if I am an uneducated English immigrant.
Plenty of Catfish, grits, banana pudding, smoked mullet and cajun chicken around on the menu's down here in Tampa too.
Get this, I've even seen soft shelled turtle on a menu, didn't try it, but I know people that have.

I did try gator tail once here, not awful not great so wouldn't go out of my way to have it again-boiled peanuts as well.

cindyabs Oct 7th 2008 2:07 am

Originally Posted by englishinfl (Post 6852705)
LoL. Can't deny that it's apparently not to everyone's taste, mine included.

No grits for me thanks, but then I'm not as a teeshirt exclaims- GRITS-GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH. :D

cindyabs Oct 7th 2008 2:09 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852600)

English muffins here are like cakelets, or pielets or something something like that you call 'em- :lol:

englishinfl Oct 7th 2008 2:11 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6852708)
I did try gator tail once here, not awful not great so wouldn't go out of my way to have it again-boiled peanuts as well.

I've tried the gator tail too, like you I wasn't thinking "wow!', just ... ok.
Yes, the boiled peanuts are sold at farm shops, produce stands and just plain old "boiled peanuts" stalls on the sides of the road everywhere around the area here.. I have to confess to actually liking them, especially the cajun flavoured ones.
Keylime pie is another FL thing I'm ok with if I need a sugar trip.

Tracym Oct 7th 2008 2:12 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852660)
I have Oatmeal on its own, or with raisins.

Yuck. There isn't enough other stuff in existance to mask the taste of grits.

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6852665)
Tracy:

They look like scones as well.

Yep. When I make the traditional scones, I use a biscuit cutter to shape them. The texture is a bit different (method of incorporating the fat differs), but it's the closest thing I can think of. Actually, the pillsbury biscuit dough in the can in the grocery fridge section really aren't bad, baked up fresh.

Rete Oct 7th 2008 2:13 am

It is an acquired taste. Here in the NE, one would not have sharpened that particular bud.

But then it is an acquired taste to like beans on toast. Yucky and my hubby loves it.

cindyabs Oct 7th 2008 2:13 am

maybe it's pikelets?

I am going to drive myself crazy trying to remember what the hell they're called in the UK