Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Nurses moving to Wales…??

Nurses moving to Wales…??

Old Oct 30th 2022, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all
Default Re: Nurses moving to Wales…??

Originally Posted by Helen1964
By the way, you might enjoy the Going Gently blog by a guy called John Gray. He lives in a village in North Wales and is a hospice nurse in Llandudno.
I just checked this out, very nice blog.
Old Oct 30th 2022, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
And the same can be said for the US. It's not as if they are free from problems either and speaking about places looking scruffy, this is no different in the US or mainland Europe. I recently drove through France and a lot of towns also look grey and rundown with empty shops and streets were littered. Same in Belgium last year and even in Germany a lot of empty buildings and ugly social housing blocks. There is good and bad everywhere and the littering were I live seems to be worse than before, especially since Covid and some smaller towns looked more rundown than before. I agree and nobody knows what's next, even the Pacific Northwest might have a major earthquake and everything can change. Macron wants more nuclear reactors and with more people fleeing their countries, what's next? All you can really do is decide what's best for yourself and for some it's money and for others it might be family/where they feel at home. To me it sounds the OP doesn't really want to move and just needs reassurance. Otherwise maybe the Isle of Man is an alternative, even though everyone wants more money right now (nurses, pilots, teachers, hospitality, IT etc.)
https://www.locate.im/relocating/uk/...he-isle-of-man

I’ve lived and worked in nursing all over the world, but for me the Isle of Man has it all. Career progression here is fantastic and I’ve progressed much quicker than I would have done elsewhere and benefited from the opportunities available here. The work-life balance is much better too. Nursing is a tiring profession, so it’s important that you have time to switch off and unwind, and the Isle of Man really does allow that.
Moses, have you left Ireland and moved to the Isle of Man?!
Old Oct 30th 2022, 4:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethel
When are you moving back? Such a huge thing to move back after so long….
Early next year, I hope
Old Oct 30th 2022, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Moses, have you left Ireland and moved to the Isle of Man?!
No, I'll definitely stay in the EU where I earn €. Although Ireland is busier than before, it's still a lot less stressful here than back in the UK for me personally. Can't be bothered with exchange rates anymore and we still have a mortgage for a property in Spain, so this is the only alternative really. I wouldn't mind being closer to the coast here in Ireland, but it's only a 20 min drive for us right now. Isle of Man seems like a good option for those who want remote/decent job market without being too far from family in Britain. Downside is of course like everywhere, property is not cheap. Now that we have a better ferry going to Spain, it does open up some more doors and the UK (apart from Northern Ireland) seems so far away from us after the whole Brexit thing. Ireland is for the heart and soul and Spain is only really for the milder winter LOL. Otherwise, we have everything we need here if I'm honest. And as you know, the dumbing down is everywhere these days and we just have to live with it.
Old Oct 30th 2022, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add and leaving jobs and money aside, there would be many places in the UK that I like. Cornwall is stunning and I can understand why many would like to retire there.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

OK Moses. Alles klar.

Bethel, best of luck with whatever you decide to do. I’ve been to Portland a few times and it was indeed a lovely city. I’d heard it had gone seriously downhill. There was actually an article about it in last week’s Economist.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 9:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to say that one very easy practical thing you could do would be to obtain a UK state pension forecast from the state pensions agency and - if you want - pay the maximum 6 years of retrospective contributions plus contributions for every year from now on - to get you the minimum 10 years needed to qualify for the most basic pension and a correspondingly bigger pension for every extra year you contribute.
It's actually more than 6 years at the moment, but only until early next year.

I know what nurses salaries are like in the UK, and that’s why I’m not rushing to be a nurse over there. I don’t think I’ll be getting a UK pension, I’ve never really worked over there, but we’re saving for retirement over here, and will still get a US pension even if we move to UK.
As Helen said, you may be able to get a UK pension. You says you've 'never really' worked in the UK, does that mean you did a bit? You might be eligible to make voluntary contributions if so.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 31st 2022 at 9:05 am.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah yes. You’re absolutely right:

You're a man born after 5 April 1951 or a woman
born after 5 April 1953
You have until 5 April 2023 to pay voluntary
contributions to make up for gaps between tax
years April 2006 and April 2016 if you're eligible.
After 5 April 2023 you'll only be able to pay for
voluntary contributions for the past 6 years. This
may not be enough to qualify for a new State
Pension if you have fewer than 4 qualifying years
on your National Insurance record. You'll usually
need at least 10 qualifying years in total.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with above, very likely you will find that the best retirement investment you can make is voluntary contributions to secure a state pension. It also adds security to your retirement finances, because it's an additional income stream to whatever other savings you have, i.e. you won't have all your eggs in one basket.

But note the time limit Helen provided, and remember you are dealing with civil servants who may move slowly. The last time I emailed a govt. dept., I got an auto reply saying they would respond within 12 weeks. Which they didn't. So don't think you've got until April next year to decide, so can leave it for now.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

This is all good advice. Will I be able to get that UK pension if I’m also getting my US pension plus my own work pension?
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

This thread has some useful links on getting a pension forecast to find out how many years of contributions you have made and how many voluntary contributions you can make and how to apply. There are many other threads if you make a search.

UK pension question
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

This is all good advice. Will I be able to get that UK pension if I’m also getting my US pension plus my own work pension?
Should not be a problem. I am receiving a US private pension, a UK private pension, UK OAP and expect to get US SS in a couple of years. My wife is currently receiving UK OAP and US SS.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, you will.

As I mentioned earlier, if you ultimately stay in Canada the value of the UK pension will become eroded over time (because it won’t rise with inflation).
BUT if they let you pay the cheaper class of contribution - Class 3 - it’s definitely worth doing it whether you stay or move. It’s only around £160 for an entire year’s contributions.
The number of years required for the full state pension (around £180 per week in today’s money) is 35.
So for every year you contribute you get 1/35 x £180 = £5.14 per week.
Bearing in mind you must contribute for at least 10 years to qualify for any pension.

If, say, you manage to get 20 years under your belt you’d get £102 per week from UK state pension age until you die.
Not a fortune but certainly enough to keep you in Hobknobs and incontinence pads.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BUT if they let you pay the cheaper class of contribution - Class 3
Typo, cheaper Class 2. You only get to pay this if you were working in UK before you moved to US, and were working in US immediately after move. Probably some limited gap allowed, but I don't remember the details - the application form to pay voluntary NI will spell it out. If in doubt, apply for class 2, worst case they say no and require you to pay the more expensive class 3.

Pension not frozen if you stay in USA or retire to UK (will be if you move to Canada). The frozen pensions in selected countries nonsense may end one day, but it's been this way for decades so don't hold your breath.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, sorry. Class 2 is the cheaper one.

Rates

The rates for the 2022 to 2023 tax year are:
  • £3.15 a week for Class 2
  • £15.85 a week for Class 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.