Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

And now, the end is near....

And now, the end is near....

Old Feb 28th 2003, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And now, the end is near....

Welcome back dear chap,

Sounds like the journey was effortless, I guess it’s nice not to be living like a gypsy anymore. Have you managed to infiltrate the Jacccuzi tub bathroom yet ?, or does Ellen have the only key.

Pronunciation is the key, Target is affectionately known as Targèt well it is here anyway, an up market Wallmart in simple language. For some reason the branded chocolate we know in the UK does not taste the same here. I’m a Krispy Kreme man myself but Dunkin do have better coffee, if you can get to it with all the cops who seem to shop there, I think it’s the staple diet of the local Law Enforcement here.

Didn’t you have to sit a driving test, god we have to sit a 3 hour drug and alcohol lecture here, followed by the computer test, followed by a driving test, Jesus I’ve been driving for 30 years didn’t think I would have to go through that torture.

So when’s the fishing trip, I hope you got some motion sickness tablets, it looks a bit rough out there lol, and if you fall in, you’ve only got 10 minutes tops before you die of Hypothermia.

So I’m glad it all went well, It might take a bit of time for the Cat to realize that Soham High Street is not just round the corner, just hope it doesn’t try to find its way home, well if it does think of the Disney film royalties. While you were away from the forum there was a thread posted discussing if you should be banned from the community due to your Rabbit episode, Rete is due to post her final decision tomorrow.

Rob
Old Feb 28th 2003, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cindyabs
Welcome!! On his first visit I introduced my husband to Krispy Kreme donuts. He has yet to experience the delights of Target or Tarzhay as it's know. Lastly, I thought that the delivery times in the UK were merely a figment of a Monty Python sketch, . Guess not!

I shake my head in wonder. I have tried Krispy Kreme Donuts a few months ago because everyone, and I do mean everyone, was raving about them. Personally, I found them to be greasy and not at all tasty. And talk about expensive.

Give me Dunkin Donut's Bavarian Creme or a Cranberry Nut Muffin any day with a medium size coffee, dark, no sugar and I'm as happy as the proverbal pig.

As for Target, Walmart, and K-Mart, etc., I live in an area of New York State that DOES NOT HAVE ANY OF THOSE STORES. I've been in Target's in Northern Virginia (Reston actually) and it was an alright store. Walmart I frequent when I'm in Massachusetts (where I will be this time tomorrow morning) and K-Mart when I'm willing to drive 25 miles north of my home to shop. And yes, we are the fourth largest city in the State of New York. Go Figure!

Personally, I miss F.W. Woolworth's, the legendary Five and Ten Cent Store and H.L. Green's which was dubbed the Quarter Store because the same products sold in FWW cost more.

Oh well

Rete

PS Decision on Patrick's banning due to the episode of the misplaced rabbit will be made this evening.
Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Linda & Eric is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]I'm not convinced by the Cadbury's chocolate in Walmart as it is still made by Hersheys![\QUOTE]

OOHHH HERSHEY'S yummy

I live only an hour's drive from the Main Plant in Hershey, PA. They've an amusement park and tour of the factory. It's a nice way to spend the day. All of the street lights in the parking lot are shaped like lil hershey kisses.

Glad you had a good trip Patrick. Best of luck.
Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:33 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
I shake my head in wonder. I have tried Krispy Kreme Donuts a few months ago because everyone, and I do mean everyone, was raving about them. Personally, I found them to be greasy and not at all tasty. And talk about expensive.

Give me Dunkin Donut's Bavarian Creme or a Cranberry Nut Muffin any day with a medium size coffee, dark, no sugar and I'm as happy as the proverbal pig.

As for Target, Walmart, and K-Mart, etc., I live in an area of New York State that DOES NOT HAVE ANY OF THOSE STORES. I've been in Target's in Northern Virginia (Reston actually) and it was an alright store. Walmart I frequent when I'm in Massachusetts (where I will be this time tomorrow morning) and K-Mart when I'm willing to drive 25 miles north of my home to shop. And yes, we are the fourth largest city in the State of New York. Go Figure!

Personally, I miss F.W. Woolworth's, the legendary Five and Ten Cent Store and H.L. Green's which was dubbed the Quarter Store because the same products sold in FWW cost more.

Oh well

Rete

PS Decision on Patrick's banning due to the episode of the misplaced rabbit will be made this evening.

Hey Rete, do you remember popping a balloon at Woolworth's for the "special" price for banana splits at their lunch counter ?
Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:44 pm
Ron

Careful girl, your age is showing! ;-)

"cindyabs" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Rete
    > > I shake my head in wonder. I have tried Krispy Kreme Donuts a few
    > > months ago because everyone, and I do mean everyone, was raving about
    > > them. Personally, I found them to be greasy and not at all tasty. And
    > > talk about expensive.
    > >
    > > Give me Dunkin Donut's Bavarian Creme or a Cranberry Nut Muffin any
    > > day with a medium size coffee, dark, no sugar and I'm as happy as the
    > > proverbal pig.
    > >
    > > As for Target, Walmart, and K-Mart, etc., I live in an area of New
    > > York State that DOES NOT HAVE ANY OF THOSE STORES. I've been in
    > > Target's in Northern Virginia (Reston actually) and it was an alright
    > > store. Walmart I frequent when I'm in Massachusetts (where I will be
    > > this time tomorrow morning) and K-Mart when I'm willing to drive 25
    > > miles north of my home to shop. And yes, we are the fourth largest
    > > city in the State of New York. Go Figure!
    > >
    > > Personally, I miss F.W. Woolworth's, the legendary Five and Ten Cent
    > > Store and H.L. Green's which was dubbed the Quarter Store because the
    > > same products sold in FWW cost more.
    > >
    > > Oh well
    > >
    > > Rete
    > >
    > > PS Decision on Patrick's banning due to the episode of the misplaced
    > > rabbit will be made this evening.
    > Hey Rete, do you remember popping a balloon at Woolworth's for the
    > "special" price for banana splits at their lunch counter ?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Linda & Eric
I'm not convinced by the Cadbury's chocolate in Walmart as it is still made by Hersheys![\QUOTE]

OOHHH HERSHEY'S yummy

I live only an hour's drive from the Main Plant in Hershey, PA. They've an amusement park and tour of the factory. It's a nice way to spend the day. All of the street lights in the parking lot are shaped like lil hershey kisses.

So right ;-) The girls and I spent a week at a diary farm in Mt. Joy and one of the side trips was a day at the Hershey Park. One of the most memorable vacations that the grownup kids still rave about.

Rete
Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:48 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the U.S. Patrick! LOL about the cat!
I try not to go to Dunkin Donuts because I end up devouring the goodies non-stop haha...my favorites are the glazed chocolates...no, it's blueberry...

Juliet
Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by cindyabs
Hey Rete, do you remember popping a balloon at Woolworth's for the "special" price for banana splits at their lunch counter ?

Yes I do. It was one of the places I took my little ones years back for lunch once a week and we shared a split. Chocolate ice cream for Meg, Strawberry for Lee and Vanilla for me.

Damn now I am missing Jan's Ice Cream Palor where a group of us would go for what was called a "Kitchen Sink". It was a HUGE tub of one scoop of every ice cream they sold and covered with every topping available in the house and if four people could finish it, you got a couple for another free at another time.
Rarely did we ever get the coupon. It was just too much to finish.

Rete
Old Feb 28th 2003, 2:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ron
Careful girl, your age is showing! ;-)

"cindyabs" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Rete
    > > I shake my head in wonder. I have tried Krispy Kreme Donuts a few
    > > months ago because everyone, and I do mean everyone, was raving about
    > > them. Personally, I found them to be greasy and not at all tasty. And
    > > talk about expensive.
    > >
    > > Give me Dunkin Donut's Bavarian Creme or a Cranberry Nut Muffin any
    > > day with a medium size coffee, dark, no sugar and I'm as
happy as the

> > proverbal pig.
    > >
    > > As for Target, Walmart, and K-Mart, etc., I live in an area of New
    > > York State that DOES NOT HAVE ANY OF THOSE STORES. I've been in
    > > Target's in Northern Virginia (Reston actually) and it was an alright
    > > store. Walmart I frequent when I'm in Massachusetts (where I will be
    > > this time tomorrow morning) and K-Mart when I'm willing to drive 25
    > > miles north of my home to shop. And yes, we are the fourth largest
    > > city in the State of New York. Go Figure!
    > >
    > > Personally, I miss F.W. Woolworth's, the legendary Five and Ten Cent
    > > Store and H.L. Green's which was dubbed the Quarter Store because the
    > > same products sold in FWW cost more.
    > >
    > > Oh well
    > >
    > > Rete
    > >
    > > PS Decision on Patrick's banning due to the episode of the misplaced
    > > rabbit will be made this evening.
    > Hey Rete, do you remember popping a balloon at Woolworth's for the
    > "special" price for banana splits at their lunch counter ?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

I am younger than springtime myself........')
Old Feb 28th 2003, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rete,

King's Restaurant has something like that. It's called Tons Of Fun, it's a 24 scoop thing with all kinds of toppings and the like.

Your eyes won't believe it! 24, yes, t-w-e-n-t-y-f-o-u-r, scoops of Hartley's Choice Ice Cream, three ripe bananas and six toppings, with Kings own whipped topping and cherries. It will serves six to eight
http://www.kingsfamily.com/images/Tons%20o%20Fun1.jpg
Old Feb 28th 2003, 2:51 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I found out something else I don't like, junk mail. We have only been in the house 4 days, where do these people get your name and address from. Give me British privacy laws any time!

I will do a new thread on how we brought in the cat, this will be easier to find if someone does a search in the future.

The Dunkin Donuts v's Krispe Kremes thing - I just thing it is very subjective and I much prefer DD's Coffee and their donuts are (IMHO) slightly tastier. But then I prefer Coke to Pepsi and Penthouse to Playboy so take from that what you will.

Rob, the seller hasn't taken me fishing yet but he did take me 4x4ing on the beach for 2 hours, so cool - I gotta git me a 4x4 now.

I will write the cat thread now

Patrick

I only read Penthouse and Playboy for the informed articles, obviously.
Old Feb 28th 2003, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Linda & Eric
I'm not convinced by the Cadbury's chocolate in Walmart as it is still made by Hersheys![\QUOTE]

OOHHH HERSHEY'S yummy

As an advice to Eric, even if you live near the Hershey's factory, do not forget to pack a couple chocolate bar (especially the nice dark chocolate ones) in your luggage before leaving [it is a legal to bring chocolate to the US as long as it does not have liquor in it]. That was the thing I missed most during my first 4 months as a student in the US. I bought an Hershey's bar, but I never finished it [For the records, it is the only chocolate bar I never finished!]. My husband didn't understand until he got accustomed to my chocolate bars

Caroline
Old Feb 28th 2003, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

His mum has sent me some chocolate for Christmas last year. A variety of different kinds. I have to say I liked the orange chocolate.
Old Feb 28th 2003, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
Hi,

I found out something else I don't like, junk mail. We have only been in the house 4 days, where do these people get your name and address from. Give me British privacy laws any time!
I think there is an address you can write to get removed from the list. I did that a week ago, but I am not sure if it will work. What I used to do when I received all kind of catalogs from people who lived there before us, I just called the order line (there is always somebody) and explained to them that I wanted the address removed from their list. Usually they were "arguing", so I had my line "I am not interested and I throw it anyway in the trash as soon as I find it in my mailbox, so you may as well take these people with my address off and save the company some money".

I admire you with the cat! We took our cat as a carry-on when we moved to Michigan. That was horrible!!! We made a lot of friends on the ground, but once in the air, people reviewed their position.... and I sure could understand why!!!

Caroline
Old Feb 28th 2003, 7:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What's the Deal with the Donuts?

OK, at first I thought this was a British thing...the facination with donuts! But of course Americans must love them as much or we wouldn't have so many donut stores here. I just personally haven't set foot in a Dunkin Donuts since high school, and that was a loooong time ago.

For all of you in/visiting Portland, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for VooDoo Donuts, the new business of a good friend. He seems to think that a 23 hour a day donut store is just what we've been lacking here.

Patrick, the cat advice is excellent. I don't want to upset my two resident cats, so I think I will look into disposable cat adoption for my future flights.

As to junk mail and telemarketing. These are 2 of my pet peeves. I made a good effort at getting off the lists last year, starting with the DirectMarketingAssociation http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumerassistance.html

You can write to one place and get off the mailing lists for a year. After that, your name can start to creep back onto lists.

Every time you complete a change of address with the USPS, they will sell that info and you'll get flooded anew.

Try returning junk mail in it's own prepaid envelope, or even better, scratch your name from the front, write 'refused' and have your carrier return it to sender.

Actually, all the links on the front page of this google search look useful. It takes a bit of effort, but I think it's worth it to get off the mailing lists. Both from a personal point of view, and with an eye toward 'responsible living' which will hopefully reduce wasted natural resources.

RE: Sales tax. Patrick, you can always move to Oregon where we have NO sales tax and have resisted adding one for decades. We get to pay what is marked on the item. Oh yeah, the state is also a little bit broke currently because of it, but we're talking quality of life issues here, aren't we! We also have no self-service gasoline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.