Nottingham

Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

ffleate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nottingham

Is Nottingham a good place to live? Did you move back there? I would like to hear about your experience of this place.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nottingham

Originally posted by ffleate
Is Nottingham a good place to live? Did you move back there? I would like to hear about your experience of this place.
It's the 3rd most violent city in the UK! Some nice bits, but mostly a dump.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't that the place that has more women to men per ratio?

Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:41 pm
Oz bound I hope

EricB is an unknown quantity at this point

Working there now and can't think of one redeeming feature.... It is a city with all that description encompasses.

A place to move from not to...
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Well I'm a bit biased because I lived there all my life up until 2 years ago. But it's not as bad as people are making out.
Sure it has it's share of violence but it is mainly in dodgy areas of the city anyway and if you avoid those areas then you will generally be ok (and name me a city that doesn't have dodgy areas). I actually lived outside of the city but spent a lot of time in the city.
It has great shopping and a good nightlife. There are lot of good entertainment venues (Theatre Royal, Ice Stadium, Rock City, Nottingham Playhouse to name a few). There are good restaurants. It's in a nice central location. Lots of nice parks and countryside quite close by.
It really depends on what your expectations are and what your interests are.
If you have any specific questions about Nottingham then I could go into more detail.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:03 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I moved to Perth from Nottingham and can't wait to get back there!!!!!!!!!

It's certainly not a dump, hasn't everywhere got it's bad suburbs?!!

And for those people coming out to OZ, can I remind you that it also has it's bad suburbs

There are some brilliant places of interest to visit, maybe those living there now should make a weekend of looking at some of Nottinghamshires historic places of interest, such as Nottm Castle, Wollaton Park, Newstead Abbey (Home of Lord Byron), The home of DH Lawrence in Eastwood, maybe even Robin Hood Tree ( ) The Major Oak, The caves under the city, Nottm Lace Market.

For anyone moving out to Oz from Nottingham, don't burn your bridges and slag off where you are from, maybe one day you'll return.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with Nottingham at all.I lived and worked there for years.
Shame about Forest nowadays though
It's as nice a city as anywhere.
I moved a few years ago but not far away.I would move back

G
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

linnie2003 is on a distinguished road

try

www.thisisnottingham.co.uk

for local news & what's on...
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by janeyray
I moved to Perth from Nottingham and can't wait to get back there!!!!!!!!!

It's certainly not a dump, hasn't everywhere got it's bad suburbs?!!

And for those people coming out to OZ, can I remind you that it also has it's bad suburbs

There are some brilliant places of interest to visit, maybe those living there now should make a weekend of looking at some of Nottinghamshires historic places of interest, such as Nottm Castle, Wollaton Park, Newstead Abbey (Home of Lord Byron), The home of DH Lawrence in Eastwood, maybe even Robin Hood Tree ( ) The Major Oak, The caves under the city, Nottm Lace Market.

For anyone moving out to Oz from Nottingham, don't burn your bridges and slag off where you are from, maybe one day you'll return.
Nottingham castle isn't a castle by the way. It's a large house from about 1800. Eastwood sounds nice, it isn't. The Lace Market isn't a market, and there is no lace there. Admittedly, it's the only nice part of the city though. Nottingham is generally very dissapointing. It's supposed to be like Leeds, but in reality it's a very poor match. There are lots of scumbags everywhere in Nottingham and the nightlife is about as unsophisticated and violent as you can get. Also contrary to most people's opinion, the city isn't even that nice architecture wise. In fact most of it is truly hideous. Lots and lots of 1960's dross, concrete underpasses and drab shopping malls. Mediocre is about the best I can say for it.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you all miss the 'repeat' on TV about the Nottingham Police Force and Nottingham being one of the most violent cities after dark??? It seems only seamonsta remembers this....

Just for all those people who say there are bad suburbs everywhere....
The area where I work in Nottingham there have been over 18 shootings in the last 14 months.
I NEVER lived anywhere with those kind of statistics, infact, I never even heard of a place like that in Oz....
SO yes while every city has its good and bad area etc.... lets just re-evaluated exactly what we are talking about here....
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

linnie2003 is on a distinguished road

OK I have to jump to the defence of the place!
Its true that crime in Nottingham city centre is above the national average, but if you look up the stats for some of the suburbs you'll also see figures that are below the national average...
Seamonsta will be disappointed to hear that the concrete underpasses have now been filled in to make way for a shinny new tram system. Nottingham is consistently rated one of the best shopping centres outside London (along with Manchester, Glasgow and the new complex in Birmingham) It has great theatre, good independent cinemas, a diverse selection of pubs and restaurants, two hugely popular universities, and good sporting facilities (including the new National ice stadium - also a concert venue), smaller music and comedy venues too. There are plenty of museums, galleries and old houses in addition to Nottingham castle...try Wollaton Hall, Newstead Abbey... and if you're still not sold at least its in the middle of the country so you can travel elsewhere easily!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

There is some nice architecture in Nottingham...it's not all perfect and shiny and new but it's a lot less concrete than a lot cities I've been too. There is a nice development near the canal with some pubs and a comedy club etc.. and there are some very nice modern buildings alongside the railway line near the station (I forget what they are now,the customs building maybe??)
Nottingham University has a nice campus and grounds to walk around.
The public transport is reasonable and extensive and now you have the opportunity to get run over by the new tram system
The nightlife is so varied that if you can always find a place that suits your moods and interests and there is a great entertainment scene with many concerts and plays happening all the time.
I moved away from Nottingham 2 years ago because I married a US citizen and moved to the US. I miss the place a lot simply because there is always something to do there and things seem to progress at a good pace. It makes the place where I live now (Rochester NY) seem dead in comparison. I would have no qualms about moving back there at all, in fact I would go back tomorrow if I could.
I know it's not going to be everyones cup of tea but it does have it's plus points. It's not all guns and violence like it's made out to be.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Greetings - I moved to Nottingham in 1998 for a new job. I'm originally from Oxford but have spent the last 15 years living in Midlands area (Birmingham, Leicester etc).

I LOVE NOTTINGHAM and out of all the places I've lived and worked, this is by far the best (apart from Brighton!!).

I have friends who live in the city and they love it. I opted to live in the countryside but regularly go in to the city. Lots to do, trendy bars, nice restaurants.

Property developers are turning the city around with loads of old buildings being restored and made into flats etc.

As for the voilence/trouble - I've experienced this more in the other places than I have here.

I'm moving to Oz - but if I came back to the UK would be happy to return to Notts.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Nottingham

Truth: Not Option

Maid Marion Way was voted ugliest street in Europe about 2 years ago

Just stating a fact - it was on the front of the Evening Post!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not sure I agree with the rose tinted views of Nottingham expressed here. First time I visited Nottingham I thought 'My God what a dump!'
It's extremely overated, usually by Nottingham folk who think it's the best thing since sliced bread. In reality it's scruffy, unfriendly and rough. Nottingham culture consists entirely of hoardes of yobbish young males and loose females going to tacky bars and getting completely legless. Generally a tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.