Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Norway back to Scotland move.

Norway back to Scotland move.

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:39 am
Just Joined

The Pianoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Norway back to Scotland move.

Hi all, After living up in Norway since 95 I am now strongly thinking of taking my Norwegian wife and two small kids back to live in the Tayside area.
We had a weeks holiday there in June and there is just so much stuff to do thats cheap and nearby.

We could sell our house here and have a decent deposit on a house until we got some work history behind us.

Anyone know of any good guides to moving back, does and donts, etc.
I left Dundee in 1982, lived in London until 93, one year in OZ, loads of travelling in between, up to Norway 95 etc etc so my UK knowledge base is way out of date.

Regards Alan
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

loubol is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know, there aren't ANY guides on moving back.

I moved back myself in February after more than a decade elsewhere and found it really bloody tough dealing with bureaucracy.

I'm now writing said guide myself. Already have an agent, just hunting a publisher...
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norway back to Scotland move.

Assuming you're UK born (or naturalised) yourself, I presume you're aware your two children are most likely British citizens (by descent), as well as having Norwegian citizenship.

Jeremy

Originally posted by The Pianoman
Hi all, After living up in Norway since 95 I am now strongly thinking of taking my Norwegian wife and two small kids back to live in the Tayside area.
We had a weeks holiday there in June and there is just so much stuff to do thats cheap and nearby.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

The Pianoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, Yes I know the children are both entitled to UK and Norwegian passports.

I hear that it depends on the parents being married at the time of birth.

Regards Alan
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The point about the parents being married only applies to getting British citizenship from the father. Children can get British citizenship from the mother whether the parents are married or not. Plus:

- if the parents marry after birth, the child *usually* obtains British citizenship automatically on that date

- if the child isn't otherwise British, the Home Office will now register the child as a British citizen provided application is made before age 18. This is discretionary, but will normally be granted, unless there is a specific reason (eg a 16 or 17 year old child where there is an apparent character problem).

- When the relevant clauses (section 9) in the Nationality, Immigration and Ayslum Act 2002 are activated, unmarried British fathers should be able to pass on British citizenship without having to apply for registration for the child. This will not be retrospective however.

Feel free to PM me if you need more information on any of this.

Jeremy

Originally posted by The Pianoman
Hi there, Yes I know the children are both entitled to UK and Norwegian passports.

I hear that it depends on the parents being married at the time of birth.

Regards Alan