North and South

Old May 20th 2009, 8:23 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default North and South

Just got a message from an old friend saying, "don't know why you'd want to come back," and I realized that our southern friends are more of that mind, whereas our northern friends are all for it and clear that they'd never think of leaving the country. None of these people are living in rough areas, north or south, so why the difference?

My feeling is that there are plenty of people in this forum from the north looking to leave, so my friends could just be odd. Wouldn't be surprising! But it seems to me that our northern friends are half-full people -- they see all the good things about living there, whereas our southern ones are half-empty. They focus on anything wrong.

Is there some general difference?

Bev
Old May 20th 2009, 9:58 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North and South

Originally Posted by Bevm
Just got a message from an old friend saying, "don't know why you'd want to come back," and I realized that our southern friends are more of that mind, whereas our northern friends are all for it and clear that they'd never think of leaving the country. None of these people are living in rough areas, north or south, so why the difference?

My feeling is that there are plenty of people in this forum from the north looking to leave, so my friends could just be odd. Wouldn't be surprising! But it seems to me that our northern friends are half-full people -- they see all the good things about living there, whereas our southern ones are half-empty. They focus on anything wrong.

Bev
Southerners are more intelligent and are more likely to make better decisions. Hence, when they emigrate it is more likely to be better thought out than that of their northern brethren. Once emigrated they are more likely to embrace their chosen country and not miss the UK as much. Whereas northerners miss things like mushy peas, yorkshire pudding and watching their struggling teams such as Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle on a saturday afternoon.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Bev
Ooh Bev this could be interesting
Maybe us Northerners are just happier people I'm off now
Old May 20th 2009, 10:03 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Southerners are more intelligent and are more likely to make better decisions. Hence, when they emigrate it is more likely to be better thought out than that of their northern brethren. Once emigrated they are more likely to embrace their chosen country and not miss the UK as much. Whereas northerners miss things like mushy peas, yorkshire pudding and watching their struggling teams such as Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle on a saturday afternoon.
Jewels sweetie...I'd rather be thick and happy then Er... Intelligent and a miserable gi..t
Old May 20th 2009, 10:14 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Jewels sweetie...I'd rather be thick and happy then Er... Intelligent and a miserable gi..t
Compromises are usually the best in these cases and somebody from the west or east midlands, are more likely to fall somewhere in between your north-south assessmment.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Southerners are more intelligent and are more likely to make better decisions.... Whereas northerners miss things like mushy peas
I hope you ducked when you typed that!

Bev - I'd actually say it all depends on where "daan saaff" they come from. I'd imagine someone living in or just outside London might have a different perspective of life from someone living in a Devon, Sussex or Hampshire village.

I wonder, also, if things like wages and property prices influence attitudes of those more southern folk. They've watched their house prices (which were already ridiculously high compared to elsewhere in the UK) melt away - I don't know if it is more or less as a percentage than other areas?

And another thought is that, depending on where you are talking about - the population mass in the South East is pretty high and people are squashed in. Love Thy Neighbour? No thanks, he lives too bloody close for my liking .... moan, whinge, oh, and the country's gone to the dogs of course

Overall, those people from the more northerly bits of the UK are described a more friendly (generally - and to strangers) and with a good sense of humour. I think I must be one of those weirdo southerners who is also friendly (can't vouch of sense of humour though ).

Who knows the reasons for the differences you are hearing. Grumpy gits or glass half full?
Old May 20th 2009, 11:40 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

None of our friends live in cities. The southern ones are in Kent, Hampshire, and Dorset. Northern ones are in Lancashire, Yorkshire, and County Durham.

None in the midland. I wonder what that means!

Oh, I forgot one in Bedfordshire who moved there from here years ago and loves it.

I don't mean that the ones in the south are itching to move, just that they seem to be the ones who think it very odd that we want to go back.

Bev
Old May 21st 2009, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

err ecky thump...I don't no about northerners knot being edukated etc...lol....well we have travelled widely....guess what? even down to see the southern parts of England....lovely as it is....the North in our eyes is just a beautiful if not more so......I laughed because we actually were served "mushy peas" at a football game (soccer to the locals)with chips and gravy and in a tray....bliss and you know what? there were more southerners eating that than the northerners....they were having the Indian curry lol....this was all made by a......Scottish man!!!

Back to the question...in all honesty...I find Northerners are more genuine on the whole....and much more "down to earth"....I think that helps with the decision to head home sometimes.....it's true we do not seem to move far away from families and friends but the same goes for southerners......we have friends here from both sides of the "divide" and if anyone takes the mickey first out of me....its a southerner....usually about my accent etc (not very original)...but with my northern wit and charm....I put them in their place lol!!!!!

just like to add...how many times have Northern Football Clubs won the Premier League......say no more.....
Old May 21st 2009, 12:17 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Ooh Bev this could be interesting
Maybe us Northerners are just happier people I'm off now
I'm a Northerner and I'm happy.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Compromises are usually the best in these cases and somebody from the west or east midlands, are more likely to fall somewhere in between your north-south assessmment.
Have you ever said that to a "Midlander"......and lived!!!
Old May 21st 2009, 12:20 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
err ecky thump...I don't no about northerners knot being edukated etc...lol....well we have travelled widely....guess what? even down to see the southern parts of England....lovely as it is....the North in our eyes is just a beautiful if not more so......I laughed because we actually were served "mushy peas" at a football game (soccer to the locals)with chips and gravy and in a tray....bliss and you know what? there were more southerners eating that than the northerners....they were having the Indian curry lol....this was all made by a......Scottish man!!!

Back to the question...in all honesty...I find Northerners are more genuine on the whole....and much more "down to earth"....I think that helps with the decision to head home sometimes.....it's true we do not seem to move far away from families and friends but the same goes for southerners......we have friends here from both sides of the "divide" and if anyone takes the mickey first out of me....its a southerner....usually about my accent etc (not very original)...but with my northern wit and charm....I put them in their place lol!!!!!

just like to add...how many times have Northern Football Clubs won the Premier League......say no more.....

I seriously think it's because the Northerners historically are working class and have grown up wanting less and feeling that they don't need to prove themselves. They are not as ambitious (although I am) and because they are content to settle for less, they are far happier. My dad is from Blackburn, my mum is from Hampshire so I've had family on both sides of the divide. The Northern side were always more fun, more down to earth and content with their lot.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
I seriously think it's because the Northerners historically are working class and have grown up wanting less and feeling that they don't need to prove themselves. They are not as ambitious (although I am) and because they are content to settle for less, they are far happier. My dad is from Blackburn, my mum is from Hampshire so I've had family on both sides of the divide. The Northern side were always more fun, more down to earth and content with their lot.
I agree with all of that however there are a minority of northern folk who have massive chips on their shoulders for exactly the same reasons.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Sounds about right, I'm a north westerner (Wales) Nothing to prove and don't ask for a lot. Pretty low maintenance compared to the southerners I knew. Aren't the ones from the south all trying to be better/richer/prettier have a bigger house, better garden etc etc. Life's too short to bother, be comfy and enjoy what you've got and who you're with.
One whole side of my family are Lancashire the other side Birmingham.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:30 am
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive always thought Australia would be a northerners paradise ,australia's roots are very northern,some 600 street names here are from the north of england.There is also that shared affection for pies and open friendly/blunt nature that australians and northerners have.

I always think of australia as a "northern country" at the other end of the world.

Bev

Last edited by katiev; May 21st 2009 at 1:32 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:39 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by brits1
Have you ever said that to a "Midlander"......and lived!!!
My ex-wife is a midlander and I often went to hell and back with her.....So yes, I have lived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.