Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Non Resident UK Expat Car insurance for UK Car

Non Resident UK Expat Car insurance for UK Car

Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:24 am
Just Joined

joco7777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non Resident UK Expat Car insurance for UK Car

As an expat and non-UK resident but a UK citizen with a full UK licence I am looking for some advice on the best companies/brokers to get car insurance for my UK car which I plan to keep at home at my UK Holiday home and only use when we are in the Uk for 1-3 months per year. Any suggestions welcome as it seem to be a big issue being non-resident.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Non Resident UK Expat Car insurance for UK Car

Originally Posted by joco7777
As an expat and non-UK resident but a UK citizen with a full UK licence I am looking for some advice on the best companies/brokers to get car insurance for my UK car which I plan to keep at home at my UK Holiday home and only use when we are in the Uk for 1-3 months per year. Any suggestions welcome as it seem to be a big issue being non-resident.
Try http://www.cityinsurance.co.uk/

Three years ago I decided that it only made sense to buy a car in the UK as car hire was costing me a fortune but I found it almost impossible to find anyone who would insure me if I did.
I tried almost every company on those comparison websites and they all told me that as I was not resident by their standards (which incidentally are not the same as those of HMRC) they would not insure me.
I think that my search must have triggered something though as I was contacted by phone by an insurance broker. I explained my situation and he came back to me with a really good quote from City.
I had no no claims bonus in the UK. I had driven on my dad's family policy before I left for the USA but I still got credit for a full no claims bonus.
It's gone up a bit each year but to the best of my recollection I paid around 350gbp when it was last due in August 2012. This was for a Polo.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by larrabee
Try http://www.cityinsurance.co.uk/

Three years ago I decided that it only made sense to buy a car in the UK as car hire was costing me a fortune but I found it almost impossible to find anyone who would insure me if I did.
I tried almost every company on those comparison websites and they all told me that as I was not resident by their standards (which incidentally are not the same as those of HMRC) they would not insure me.
I think that my search must have triggered something though as I was contacted by phone by an insurance broker. I explained my situation and he came back to me with a really good quote from City.
I had no no claims bonus in the UK. I had driven on my dad's family policy before I left for the USA but I still got credit for a full no claims bonus.
It's gone up a bit each year but to the best of my recollection I paid around 350gbp when it was last due in August 2012. This was for a Polo.
I wish I'd know this years ago as we must have spent a fortune on car rentals over the last 17 years. each time I enquired about it, all the insurance company's "computers said no" So in the end I gave up on the idea of buying a small banger there.
What always amazed me though was the fact that we could easily get insurance on our house that we owned there, but not one of the insurance companies would insure a vehicle !
Mental if you ask me
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Be warned,

and when you return its no easier believe me we run 2 cars and its been the bain of my life getting insurance and also as we have no claims bonus but no convictions or bans they can not get their head round it, they do not like foriegn licences albeit we cuould drive on our NZ licence for a year (our UK photocard expired while we were abroad and is not valid until you renew you can not do this until you have a permanent address etc)
we get a phone call a week from each insurance company checking that we have no lied

(in NZ insurance is not compulsory, we had it but our company went bust and the new company we only had for 6 months so we could not bring any history although the insurers told me it would not be of us as its an non EU country!)
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by janeyk
Be warned,

and when you return its no easier believe me we run 2 cars and its been the bain of my life getting insurance and also as we have no claims bonus but no convictions or bans they can not get their head round it, they do not like foriegn licences albeit we cuould drive on our NZ licence for a year (our UK photocard expired while we were abroad and is not valid until you renew you can not do this until you have a permanent address etc)
we get a phone call a week from each insurance company checking that we have no lied

(in NZ insurance is not compulsory, we had it but our company went bust and the new company we only had for 6 months so we could not bring any history although the insurers told me it would not be of us as its an non EU country!)
Did you ultimately get insurance in UK though ? If so who did you get it through
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I have mine through Arriva through a broker called Bewiser, OH has his through Admiral
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:01 am
Just Joined

joco7777 is an unknown quantity at this point

called cityinsurancefor a quote and unfortunately they are saying they are unable to quote to non-resident of UK so I'm afraid its back to the drawing board.

any other agents/brokers out there anyone else has used ?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joco7777
called cityinsurancefor a quote and unfortunately they are saying they are unable to quote to non-resident of UK so I'm afraid its back to the drawing board.

any other agents/brokers out there anyone else has used ?
Wow, that's good to know, I'm really sorry to hear that though.
I had them put it in writing for me, that I was not normally resident in the UK as it is such a big issue. I just looked it out and it's there in black and white.
I do need to correct myself though. It appears that City Insurance were the brokers and Aviva the insurers. I was writing this from memory and I remembered that City were the ones that I pay the premium to. Sorry.
It was City though that found the insurance for me in the first place so things must have changed?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:26 am
Just Joined

mcm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.superquote.com/foreign-li...nal-insurance/
Might be worth a read.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Sid8 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are many insurance companies in UK. All have different rules and policy, you can check online which suits you better and then insured you car..
Old Jul 12th 2013, 10:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Please be aware that if you drive on your UK licence while back here on holiday, you are driving illegally. UK licences are only valid if the licence holder is NORMALLY RESIDENT in the UK. This why most of the insurance companies will NOT give you a quote, even if you do get a quote, then, if you have an accident etc, you may well find that as you were driving with an invalid licence, then your insurance would be invalidated.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xxxxxxxxxxxx
Quite right...!

If you have a U.K licence but then obtain an International one when "resident" overseas, your U.K one is not necessarily still valid since in theory it has been superseded. It is best to check with your insurer for further advise. Our main insurer does not penalise on the type of licence that you hold so it's the same for U.K, EU or International (which then has to be changed if you intend to stay here as a resident for over one year).

Thx-Mark.
Once you have taken up residence in any other country than the UK, then according to the DVLA your UK licence becomes invalid, and the photo licence SHOULD be returned to the DVLA, your paper licence does not become invalid and you can keep that and, when/if you return to the UK to live, you just get a new photo one from the DVLA. There have been several threads on this recently.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 30th 2013 at 8:15 am. Reason: Removed spammy username in quote
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Please be aware that if you drive on your UK licence while back here on holiday, you are driving illegally. UK licences are only valid if the licence holder is NORMALLY RESIDENT in the UK. This why most of the insurance companies will NOT give you a quote, even if you do get a quote, then, if you have an accident etc, you may well find that as you were driving with an invalid licence, then your insurance would be invalidated.
Some of us, especially retired people, are dual residents though. With homes in both countries and seasonally based residence in both.
And pay taxes in both :-(

Is anyone aware of an online forum anywhere for people who are dual residents of UK and other place(s)?

Last edited by holly_1948; Jul 12th 2013 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Once you have taken up residence in any other country than the UK, ...
It's not taking up residence elsewhere that is the issue. It is ceasing to be resident in the UK.
For people who travel a lot it is definitely possible to be resident in more than one country. And don't the income tax people know it!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Some of us, especially retired people, are dual residents though. With homes in both countries and seasonally based residence in both.
And pay taxes in both :-(

Is anyone aware of an online forum anywhere for people who are dual residents of UK and other place(s)?
I suppose in that case it will be left to the courts to decide whether your licence is valid or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.