Wikiposts

No one to talk to.

Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:27 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No one to talk to.

You can come here and have a moan each day if you like.

So to start your American experience, this months US thing to do, you need to get the kids to the Pumpkin patch in the next week or so. Pet some animals, take pictures with their heads stuck through a wood cut out of a pumpkin or animal and eat pie and cream.
Wear old play clothes they are dirty and messy places and the kids will have fun. Dd had a great time Sunday at the one by us, free hay rides out to the fields to pick your own pumpkin and a play area with a lot of kids to play with.
You didn't say which state you are in. Don't forget to buy a ton of sweets as the whole neighborhood will be knocking on your door to get free candy for halloween, dress the kids up and join them or dress up and try to scare the ones who ring the bell before you give any candy out.

Next month is the whole Thanksgiving dealy, which you can probably get away with if you have no American friends or family who want to drag you home and feed you.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Oct 17th 2011 at 11:30 am.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:13 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I do know what you mean, but gosh you are in Las Vegas! I would glady swap with you, not for Las Vegas itself (altho it has fun bits) but the amazing landscapes around you, the canyons & deserts, it is so beautiful & easily accessible - compared to the national parks here in Oz where there is no information about anything...We used to holiday in Arizona/Nevada/California/Utah when we could just about afford it being without kids & I'm not a particularly outdoorsy type but I just felll in love with the scenery & wildlife.

However, I wouldn't want to permanently move there so I do sympathise. Try to make a list of stuff to do & visit so you have things to plan for & look forward to, even if it can sometimes feel like a bit of a chore. This is the tactic I have used & I have even started to feel like there are some things we will miss out before we go back to UK. No doubt people would have the same reaction as I did above as I'm in Sydney which everyone thinks is amazing!!!

Also if you like your home comforts, like fave foods, just order them over the internet & don't think you have to go without. Everyday things like the right teabags can make a world of difference when you're feeling a bit low!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:41 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Come over to the USA board and introduce yourself as being in Vegas. I think there are several members from the Vegas area who occasionally meetup.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Another idea Rodney lived in Vegas for something like 18 years before moving back to Portsmouth. He'll know where to go and what to do where to shop and have fun etc. He's in the moving back over 50 post, it's called something like that anyway.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

I used to live in AZ for 7 yrs, and thats where my homesickness really started. Beautiful landscape etc, but the constant heat and hardly any proper walkable areas did it for me!!! And Las Vegas is pretty hot too!! This forum got me through that difficult period of my life as it is helping me now also. Tough for us all weather, outdoorsy Brits to stay cooped up inside all day!
For me, finally getting out and about is helping, (dad passed away in UK and still very homesick) even though I can't stand any sort of strip mall /Walmart/Target/US grocery stores except Trader Joes and whole foods!!! Finding little tea rooms that remind me of home helps alot in giving me that cosy, homey feeling and take a friend or kids along with you. Although they may not serve typical English goodies-just the atmosphere and the act of being there may just transport you home, even if it is all in the mind!! Enjoy the less than 24 months you have here.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
I am in Las Vegas
Probably not the most typical USA posting - that could be a bonus though.
I enjoyed it there on holiday (didn't gamble) but as taxi driver was at great pains to tell us, it is a place where people have all the usual problems, just like in the rest of USA.

You are well-placed for decent National Parks to visit from there including the Grand Canyon which is wonderful. Better get the kids out of there before they start to think gambling is a normal way of life...I remember the machines are everywhere even in supermarkets and the airport.

One benefit I reckon you will have, is lots of friends and relatives will probably want to come and visit. That can be fun showing them around.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

OK, my loony idea of the day, dont unpack! It`ll make it so much easier when you go back!
Seriously, I hope you are feeling a bit better and just know that you arent alone in wondering how you`re going to get through the next two years in the US. PM me any time you feel like a good moan, it`s my speciality!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone

Ive not posted for a while as I was trying to get on with things. Its not been too bad, met people and been getting out and about. But the last two days Ive felt really homesick, to top it off Ive just found out we are going home about 6 months LATER than I expected. I know its not a lot but feels like forever away.

I feel really detached from the Las Vegas, I have no feeling for it at all. It seems like Im just wishing my life away until we go home

Oh dear not having a good day today.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Sorry to hear that you've not had a good day. I think it's safe to say that most of us on this section of the forum have those days too!
I'm sure it's frustrating to find out you'll be staying 6 months longer than expected - but better to find that out now than closer to your original leaving date.

It's very hard when you don't have any feelings for a place (I know the feeling - I've never warmed to Rochester and I've lived here for 10 years!) - but it sounds like you've made some progress in getting to know people and getting out and about a little bit. Those sometimes are the hardest things to do so don't underestimate your achievements.

I agree with those that say the 2 years (plus) will fly by. My first 2 years here were a blur. And I think the length of time you spend here will give you a good taste of the different way of life without you getiing overly fed up with it! I kind of wish I could have only been here for 2 and a half years

I'm not sure if you listen to the radio much but I find that streaming a UK radio station online is very comforting - even if I'm not really listening to what the person is saying...just to hear accent in the air is nice. Or you could download some UK based podcasts and listen to them while you're out and about if possible if you have an mp3 player.

Anyway, hope things get easier for you - this is a great place to come and get things off your chest!

Richard
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Hello Everyone

Ive not posted for a while as I was trying to get on with things. Its not been too bad, met people and been getting out and about. But the last two days Ive felt really homesick, to top it off Ive just found out we are going home about 6 months LATER than I expected. I know its not a lot but feels like forever away.

I feel really detached from the Las Vegas, I have no feeling for it at all. It seems like Im just wishing my life away until we go home

Oh dear not having a good day today.
I'm so sorry you're having a hard time and I sympathize with you about Las Vegas. I just hate it there. But, I agree with whoever talked about the amazing scenery around you.

Have you been to Zion National Park yet? I think that's one of the most beautiful places on earth - so gorgeous you think it can't be real. If I lived in Vegas, I'd take myself off there every chance I got - especially at this time of year. It would be hard to be too unhappy sitting on a rock there listening to the river go by.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for taking the time to reply, especially as its me just moaning my way through the day. Ive been the to Nellis Air Show today and tomorrow Im off the to Hoover Dam, so Im trying to make the most of being here. Strange thing is, I am happy to have the chance to do all these things and be here, but I wish it didn't seem so long before we go home

I do feel for everyone on here who has to overcome lots of obstacles to go home. Thank you all for not telling me to suck it up and get on with it

Las Vegas sounds like a dream destination but I agree there is much more and nicer things to see outside Vegas itself.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:19 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thing with Vegas is that you either love it or hate it.

For me it was like a alien landscape I couldn't wait to leave. Whereas Connecticut and New York - the only two places I've lived in America - have echoes of England. They're not England and they don't pretend to be, but there are enough cultural touchstones to make it bearable. I admire anyone who makes a go of it - or tries to - in states that are so different from home.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

jewdrop is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel the same way, iv lostall my confidence since being in canada, hubby long haul driver and i get very homesick for my family in uk. Hope you feel less alone now homeisweretheheartis xx
Old Nov 13th 2011, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jewdrop
I feel the same way, iv lostall my confidence since being in canada, hubby long haul driver and i get very homesick for my family in uk. Hope you feel less alone now homeisweretheheartis xx
Sorry to hear that. Where in Canada are you? We're coming over to sask very soon although we are very lucky in having (english) relatives there who will help us settle quickly. Let us know where you are.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:18 am
Just Joined

jewdrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i live in lethbridge in Alberta, i have a friend in saskatoon but can only talk on fone as its quite far away and i dont drive. Thank you for replying xx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.