No contact from the UK

Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:31 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No contact from the UK

Our families back in the uk are using a number that allows them to make calls to Oz at the cost of a local call.
They are dialing 08452 449 449 before they dial our number, I believe you are then prompted to dial the number that you are calling and informed that it will be the cost of a local call.
Can be used on all UK landlines BT,Telewest etc etc

Originally Posted by arkon
Same here but we have found a way to get an increase in comunication back home. Basically noone back home seems to like phoning for a chat and I could only put it down to the percieved cost, so we bought those ultra cheap phone cards and now make a dedicated point of phoning home to friends at our expense and also they now know that if they ring us we get them to hang up and we ring them straight back! I don't know why the reluctance to spend a few bob but doing it all at our expense seems to have worked wonders and we now spend more time talking to them than we did back home! Ho hum seems like some of us have to buy our friends!! Now where is that philopino wives for sale catalogue......
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:49 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
We get that,but this takes the biscuit.Inlaws have just been out for 6 looonnnggg weeks,MIL left a card for my birthday with English money in it,doh.I may sound ungrateful but hasnt the woman any sense.
donna
My sister lives in USA and sends our kids US$ for birthdays etc! I love her to bits - but what an ignorant thing to do, especially to kids! Even my 70-odd mother makes it to the post office to change money over!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: No contact from the UK

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
My sister lives in USA and sends our kids US$ for birthdays etc! I love her to bits - but what an ignorant thing to do, especially to kids! Even my 70-odd mother makes it to the post office to change money over!
Actually I think I can understand why she does this. Unless she lives in a major city eg. New York, Chicago or Los Angeles she would find it difficult to find any currency exchange bureaus. We live in the New Jersey suburbs and bank with a major bank (JP Morgan Chase) and they don't do foreign exchange, nor does any local bank that I'm aware of (you have to arrange it all in advance) and the Post Offices in the US certainly don't. Americans tend to be quite parochial and only about 20% of them have a passport (and even then manily seem to go to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean).

I would have to make a journey to an American Express travel office, Newark airport or into New York City to exchange money. In fact, American Express Foreign exchange has recently closed its office at Newark Liberty International airport (I think they may still be at JFK) as most foreign arrivals tend to use their ATM cards rather than traveller's cheques. Only Travelex operates at Newark airport now - and it's a British-owned company!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point actually. It's not nearly as easy to get foreign exchange here as in the UK. The airport is the only place I know of near me.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:51 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's spot on.

Family used to send us pounds and I could never get it changed. Most banks told me it would take 2-3 months because they had to send it away (and we're only talking 10 - 20 pounds!), and some refused point blank to exchange it.
Most family members have now got the message and will generally send my son $ because it's far easier for them to get different currencies. If they do send pounds then I "buy" them off my son and end up sending it back to a nephew or neice for their birthday. I swear we've been sending the same money backwards and forwards for years

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Actually I think I can understand why she does this. Unless she lives in a major city eg. New York, Chicago or Los Angeles she would find it difficult to find any currency exchange bureaus. We live in the New Jersey suburbs and bank with a major bank (JP Morgan Chase) and they don't do foreign exchange, nor does any local bank that I'm aware of (you have to arrange it all in advance) and the Post Offices in the US certainly don't. Americans tend to be quite parochial and only about 20% of them have a passport (and even then manily seem to go to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean).

I would have to make a journey to an American Express travel office, Newark airport or into New York City to exchange money. In fact, American Express Foreign exchange has recently closed its office at Newark Liberty International airport (I think they may still be at JFK) as most foreign arrivals tend to use their ATM cards rather than traveller's cheques. Only Travelex operates at Newark airport now - and it's a British-owned company!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Yep, that's spot on.

Family used to send us pounds and I could never get it changed. Most banks told me it would take 2-3 months because they had to send it away (and we're only talking 10 - 20 pounds!), and some refused point blank to exchange it.
Most family members have now got the message and will generally send my son $ because it's far easier for them to get different currencies. If they do send pounds then I "buy" them off my son and end up sending it back to a nephew or neice for their birthday. I swear we've been sending the same money backwards and forwards for years
My local branch of Wells Fargo change English money no problem, even small amounts such as 10 pounds that people send for birthdays..never had a problem
This Christmas though rather than the usual farce of us sending money home and them sending money here were just going to buy our own kids presents with our own money and label them from each other..
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: No contact from the UK

Originally Posted by woodsey
My local branch of Wells Fargo change English money no problem, even small amounts such as 10 pounds that people send for birthdays..never had a problem
This Christmas though rather than the usual farce of us sending money home and them sending money here were just going to buy our own kids presents with our own money and label them from each other..
What we do is to buy things for relatives in England by going to http://www.amazon.co.uk as it will take a US credit card and billing address.

This afternoon I arrived home and found an Amazon.com parcel on the doorstep; my sister had ordered birthday gifts for my husband and son from the US amazon.com website.

(Is there an amazon.com.au to send gifts to expats in Oz?)
Old Nov 1st 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

What we do is to buy things for relatives in England by going to http://www.amazon.co.uk as it will take a US credit card and billing address.

This afternoon I arrived home and found an Amazon.com parcel on the doorstep; my sister had ordered birthday gifts for my husband and son from the US amazon.com website.

Nope international sites are UK, Canada, Germany, China, France and Japan.

Having family in Peth and Canberra, I have been generally disappointed in the internet sites on offer in Australia but I still use them as it a much cheaper way of sending gifts.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

My brother uses amazon, play.com etc to send us all gifts to Scotland from North Carolina, sometimes a bit late for birthdays etc but never forgets. My Mother-in-law on the other hand lives 15 miles away, hasn't seen my daughters (who are 8 & 5) for 2 years and has stopped even stopped sending them cards for birthday/Christmas. Just goes to show that distance really doesn't mean anything. (Evil witch )
TJ
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

for kids toys use http://www.peedeetoys.com.au