British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Nicest neighbourhoods to settle in/near Denham UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/nicest-neighbourhoods-settle-near-denham-uk-922797/)

JJMcC Mar 2nd 2019 1:59 am

Nicest neighbourhoods to settle in/near Denham UK

Hi everyone!

I have accepted a job in Denham and planning to leave Dubai in 2 months. Any ideas where I should start looking for a place to live in with my family (2 kids under 6 yrs old) in or near Denham that is also close to some good schools?

Thanks in advance!

michali Mar 2nd 2019 5:27 pm

Re: Nicest neighbourhoods to settle in/near Denham UK

I assume you mean Denham, Buckinhamshire? My son and his family live in Gerrards Cross which is quite close and they are very happy there. Their son goes to a private school but I understand there are good state schools too.

scot47 Mar 2nd 2019 9:12 pm

you have a huge area to choose from if you are ready to commute.

Tond3 Mar 3rd 2019 11:14 am

Beaconsfield, Gerrards Cross, Amersham, Chalfonts, Wycombe etc, these are all commutable

Benson55 Mar 4th 2019 3:52 am

Cost of houses is HUGE, cost or renting is also HUGE. So only the middle class decent types live in those areas.

scot47 Mar 4th 2019 7:12 am

Where do the nasty middle class types live then ?

spouse of scouse Mar 4th 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12647466)
Wher do the nasty middle class types live then ?

I'd like to know that too, and where the indecent middle class types live as well :lol:

scot47 Mar 4th 2019 8:19 am

I am thinking of characters like Mrs Bouquet/Bucket.

christmasoompa Mar 4th 2019 8:19 am

Denham is lovely, and as said above, lots of nice places nearby. I used to live in Harefield, and also Amersham and Great Missenden area for a long time. Pretty much all of the schools in those areas are great, it's one of the things we loved about it.

Give us more info on what you want i.e. village/town, need to commute, amenities, etc, and we can help you try and narrow down areas to look at.

It's not cheap there unfortunately, which is the only reason we moved. We moved just to the next county and for the same price as we sold our tiny 1970's house on an estate with a postage stamp garden, got a 6 bed Georgian farmhouse with 1.5 acres. :lol: But it is lovely there and so convenient for London, airports, etc.

JJMcC Mar 4th 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12647496)
Denham is lovely, and as said above, lots of nice places nearby. I used to live in Harefield, and also Amersham and Great Missenden area for a long time. Pretty much all of the schools in those areas are great, it's one of the things we loved about it.

Give us more info on what you want i.e. village/town, need to commute, amenities, etc, and we can help you try and narrow down areas to look at.

It's not cheap there unfortunately, which is the only reason we moved. We moved just to the next county and for the same price as we sold our tiny 1970's house on an estate with a postage stamp garden, got a 6 bed Georgian farmhouse with 1.5 acres. :lol: But it is lovely there and so convenient for London, airports, etc.

I've seen rents online.. it is not cheap at all!

Preferrably near a school and a commuter friendly area, since my wife won't be driving for a while.

old.sparkles Mar 4th 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12647466)
Where do the nasty middle class types live then ?

Slough :lol:

spouse of scouse Mar 4th 2019 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12647600)
Slough :lol:

Hey! One of the nicest people on BE comes from Slough! :)