Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Nice places to live in the U.K.?

Nice places to live in the U.K.?

Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:59 am
Just Joined

ElleB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nice places to live in the U.K.?

Hi,
I'm currently 18 but I was born and raised in Leeds until I was 8, and then I moved to Australia. I really would like to move back after I finish university but I know that I don't want to move back to Leeds. I was thinking of Southampton, Oxford, Brighton, Derby or Bristol. Can anyone tell me which place is nicest and would be best for a young person?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 10:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice places to live in the U.K.?

Bristol is nice as is Oxford (albeit relatively expensive). I don't know enough about Brighton, Southampton or Derby to comment but I would add Sheffield to that list and would suggest it should be in your top three to consider particularly if you're from Yorkshire.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElleB
Hi,
I'm currently 18 but I was born and raised in Leeds until I was 8, and then I moved to Australia. I really would like to move back after I finish university
I think the OP should consider applying for Australian citizenship before returning to the UK if not already done so.

It is best for the OP to have his/her British passport ready before moving back to the UK. As a British passport is valid for 10 years, I see no harm for the OP applying for one just now when the current exchange rate is favorable. You can apply for your British passport using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Once the OP returns to the UK, he/she will need to apply for a National Insurance Number ASAP -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Apr 30th 2017, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I'm currently 18 but I was born and raised in Leeds until I was 8, and then I moved to Australia. I really would like to move back after I finish university but I know that I don't want to move back to Leeds. I was thinking of Southampton, Oxford, Brighton, Derby or Bristol. Can anyone tell me which place is nicest and would be best for a young person?
Whats the reason you think your life will be better in UK than Australia. You will be leaving behinds friends, relatives and a country that you have grown up in.
You may have various types of problems in Australia, but the UK has its own problems.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Find a job first - then worry about where you are going to live. You are doing things the other way round !
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Brighton is very much still a vibrant student town
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Brighton is very much still a vibrant student town
+1 for Brighton for a fun seaside town with a bit of everything. Lots going for it
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by geoff52
Whats the reason you think your life will be better in UK than Australia. You will be leaving behinds friends, relatives and a country that you have grown up in.
You may have various types of problems in Australia, but the UK has its own problems.
She hasn't written she thinks her life would be better geoff52 and even so she doesn't need to give her reasons to any of us . She just has the desire to move countries. Many of us do, for better or worse.

For young people in the Antipodes , it is very common to look to a few years and more in the NH.

All the best ElleB. You are only young once.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:51 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about Brighton, took my husband to visit it the last time we went back to UK and he loved it. I miss Sussex more than I ever thought I would....
Can't comment on the other places, except Oxford is lovely but expensive and Southampton is a working port, so always seems very industrial to me. Although there are lovely places near by, such as Hamble, Winchester and the New Forest - all very expensive!
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
I agree about Brighton, took my husband to visit it the last time we went back to UK and he loved it. I miss Sussex more than I ever thought I would....
Can't comment on the other places, except Oxford is lovely but expensive and Southampton is a working port, so always seems very industrial to me. Although there are lovely places near by, such as Hamble, Winchester and the New Forest - all very expensive!
Brighton is my home town so I'm probably biased but having just moved to NYC I know I'm going to miss Sussex.

To the OP, Bristol area is also nice, worth a look.
Old May 1st 2017, 11:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol area is nice? Outside of Bristol the countryside can be lovely but then you've probably got a nasty commute and a bit quiet for young person too.

Biased of course, I'm from the other side of the Severn Bridge!

Oxford or Brighton would be my choices. Get a well paying job though!
Good luck
xx
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to go where the work is.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
so you keep saying.

Looking at indeed.co.uk, there seem to be plenty of sonographer jobs all over the country so I think she will have a choice of where to go. They also seem to be "tier 2" so from the very little I know, if the OP is not British they will still consider her application and be able to get a visa.

Not a bad job option actually.
Old May 2nd 2017, 3:11 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Do we actually know what job she is going to do? I work from home so it doesn't matter where the office is, I can live anywhere
Old May 2nd 2017, 4:53 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by becks_r
Do we actually know what job she is going to do? I work from home so it doesn't matter where the office is, I can live anywhere
yeah, in another post she mentions sonographer work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.