Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS... Thank god for them!

NHS... Thank god for them!

Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:12 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS... Thank god for them!

Call me melodramatic if you like, but 2 docs and a nurse have told me i am lucky to be alive after my recent illness.
I have just spent 10 days in hospital. This gave me plenty of scope to watch and listen to the daily goings on in your average NHS ward.
My verdict?? Stop bloody complaining about your NHS service!! They are doing a damn good job under immense pressure and comparing it to other countries i have had the misfortune to be treated in, the NHS is by far the best of the lot.
I am fully aware there have been problems in various areas including food standards, MRSA, cleanliness etc.

Whilst the food was not 5 star gourmet rating, it was tasty, well prepared including your 5 veg 2 fruit portions a day. Some meals were better than others, but personally I found it very acceptable.

Cleanliness and MRSA? I kid you not I was stunned at the amount of cleaning on my ward every day!! In fact I would say it was bordering on excessive. 4 times a day it was washed and scrubbed and i mean EVERY day!! Once a week all beds were pulled out and washed all over.

Nursing care?
I have just received the best nursing care i have ever experienced anywhere in the world.
I was so weak i could not wash myself. Not only did my very kind Ugandan nurse Martha wash me from head to toe, she washed my hair, dried it brushed it and tidied it all up for me. She put me back to bed, made sure i was well tucked in, plumped my pillows, then made me a hot drink and made sure my food trolley was across my bed so that i could reach my food when it was delivered.
Then there was Edward from Andorra, who realised i needed certain personal items that had run out on the ward. Instead of walking away making me wait, he scoured 4 floors of the hospital to find what i needed.
Then there was Fatima from Iran, who made it her nightly task to make me a special hot chocolate milk drink in the staff kitchen because i was unable to walk anywhere to buy myself a treat.

Apart from clinical care, this kind of thing is REAL good nursing pactice. Making you feel cared for, and looked after. Yes, there were a handful of disinterested career nurses who would rather choke than do anything ou of their text book, but on the whole i cannot fault these kind and caring people. All of them NHS trained (or still training)
I am not saying you do not get good care in other countries, but I am sticking up for our good old NHS. They saved my life last week and they get 11 out of 10 for caring and good service in my case.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS... Thank god for them!

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Call me melodramatic if you like, but 2 docs and a nurse have told me i am lucky to be alive after my recent illness.
I have just spent 10 days in hospital. This gave me plenty of scope to watch and listen to the daily goings on in your average NHS ward.
My verdict?? Stop bloody complaining about your NHS service!! They are doing a damn good job under immense pressure and comparing it to other countries i have had the misfortune to be treated in, the NHS is by far the best of the lot.
I am fully aware there have been problems in various areas including food standards, MRSA, cleanliness etc.

Whilst the food was not 5 star gourmet rating, it was tasty, well prepared including your 5 veg 2 fruit portions a day. Some meals were better than others, but personally I found it very acceptable.

Cleanliness and MRSA? I kid you not I was stunned at the amount of cleaning on my ward every day!! In fact I would say it was bordering on excessive. 4 times a day it was washed and scrubbed and i mean EVERY day!! Once a week all beds were pulled out and washed all over.

Nursing care?
I have just received the best nursing care i have ever experienced anywhere in the world.
I was so weak i could not wash myself. Not only did my very kind Ugandan nurse Martha wash me from head to toe, she washed my hair, dried it brushed it and tidied it all up for me. She put me back to bed, made sure i was well tucked in, plumped my pillows, then made me a hot drink and made sure my food trolley was across my bed so that i could reach my food when it was delivered.
Then there was Edward from Andorra, who realised i needed certain personal items that had run out on the ward. Instead of walking away making me wait, he scoured 4 floors of the hospital to find what i needed.
Then there was Fatima from Iran, who made it her nightly task to make me a special hot chocolate milk drink in the staff kitchen because i was unable to walk anywhere to buy myself a treat.

Apart from clinical care, this kind of thing is REAL good nursing pactice. Making you feel cared for, and looked after. Yes, there were a handful of disinterested career nurses who would rather choke than do anything ou of their text book, but on the whole i cannot fault these kind and caring people. All of them NHS trained (or still training)
I am not saying you do not get good care in other countries, but I am sticking up for our good old NHS. They saved my life last week and they get 11 out of 10 for caring and good service in my case.

I'm glad you're being well looked after, Flea and I'm glad you're finally on the mend. Not the most auspicious start to your return home, but I'm sure it will get better from here on in.
You don't need to remind me about the benefits of the NHS!!!! It's good to hear that you had such compassionate care.
Our nearest local hospital, obviously private, has a terrible reputation for cleanliness, to the extent that most locals would rather go to hospitals that are over 30 miles away
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing care?

That's wonderful Flea! I think the NHS are brilliant too, get well soon!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing care?

Hi Melodramatic (just kidding)

Glad to hear you had such wonderful care, even if it was under horrible circumstances. Good to hear the NHS is doing a great job, as I'll be back there using them in the future, hopefully not in the capacity you have unfortunately had to..............but, that being said, welcome back Flea, we missed you
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:19 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing care?

Dear oh dear - attention seeking again!!

Seriously - great to hear you are on the mend, make sure look after yourself now and don't do too much while you are recuperating.

We only want to hear good news from you now from this day forward!!xx
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

It is great to hear positive experiences of the NHS.
For those of us who work in it, all the negative press can get depressing.
Glad you are on the mend!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

glad to hear you up and about and feeling better - after your post on facebook and then hearing nowt i was getting rather worried!

and seeing as i just paid 50 bucks for some hayfever tabs and an asthma inhaler (after insurance paid over half) i can only agree how great the nhs is!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

glad you are on the mend.

its not that bad at all is it....just the press again knocking everything, and a few who moan cos they havent experienced health care anywhere else .

my son is having an op tomorrow, hopefully he will have the same standard of care you have just had.

get well quickly !
Old Jun 27th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS is great, when I go back to the UK everyone moans about it, but in Canada thousands of people have died from C Difficile superbug in hospital. All the government tries to do is cover it up
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the NHS is great and I have always received good care. Although I can't say the same for my 87 yr old mother...which leads me to believe that in some cases the elderly are cast aside and that's frightening. On the other hand her GP never expects her to visit the surgery and always goes to her home...even for a flu injection.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:21 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree the NHS is great. Apart from one issue over lost notes and cleanliness when I was pregnant I have no complaints at all about the NHS. And the issues I raised were dealt with on the spot.

I always managed to get an appointment with my GP either on the same day or the next day as well.

But I also have to applaud the health system in Oz - or at least where I live.

I am lucky enough to have a Dr who bulk bills. I also have no problems with getting an appointment within a day or so here either. I have paid to see a consultant though and I think the cost of prescriptions is staggering especially paying for kids' prescriptions as well which were free in the UK but I was fully aware of that before we moved here. Haven't had a hospital stay yet in Oz.

As with everything that is discussed on these forum it all boils down to which area you lived in in the UK and which area you live in Australia.

And Flea glad you are on the mend
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:49 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think the NHS is great and I have always received good care. Although I can't say the same for my 87 yr old mother...which leads me to believe that in some cases the elderly are cast aside and that's frightening. On the other hand her GP never expects her to visit the surgery and always goes to her home...even for a flu injection.
I think on the whole the NHS is great but certain hospitals AND SOME of their nurses are not.

What happened to my Mum at Hemel Hospital in her last few weeks of her life was dreadful and I can't even write about it as it will upset me (well today anyway).

Good and bad in every hospital and not all nurses/hospital staff are angels - although a majority are.

Hope you are on the mend Flea, you have been through some hard times and you not only deserve to be well but to have a great future as well.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:41 am
Londonurse

marina is on a distinguished road

I am a nurse myself, originally from Russia, lived and worked in London for 13 years and moved to BC, Canada 7 months ago. From my own professional point of view NHS is unique and needs to be preserved that way . It has a few problems no doubt and they need to be addressed. So is actually the pay of nurses in the UK. In general I would choose NHS any day for myself and my family. Comparing Canadian health care makes me reconsider our move here (plus other things as well). I guess you cannot have everything in one country: great healthcare, big affordable housing, welfare system, public transport infrastructure, choice of food and clothes etc.:curse: I am supposed to be in the "Best place on Earth/Beautiful British Columbia" but I do feel out of place and want to return to England. Maybe that is why there is a lot of people who wish to come to the UK in the first place. I also heard that myself. Now I know that for sure. I would be glad to pick up where I left off and appreciate it even more.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

I am glad you are feeling better!

Pneumonia can be very scary. I think it makes a difference that, at least, you were "home" when it came on. It sounds like you received excellent care from capable and caring nurses. The ones who are burnt out can be found anywhere, regardless of location. I had a case of pneumonia myself about a year and a half ago, and I am without insurance in the US. I won't bang on about it, but suffice it to say that my treatment was very different. I was sent home from the emergency room with a prescription.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:51 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Sheesh.......the lengths you'll go to to get an inside story eh?!!

If it was pneumonia you had, I feel for you having had it myself. A real crock of crap that virus. Get yourself a pneumonia jab, it'll last 5 years.

Great to see you're better. But take it easy, don't push yourself, take time to recover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.