Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:21 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The NHS Made Me Do It!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Diet.
Corn.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

I just read all this while eating a huge breakfast, DAM HORMONES
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Your previous explanation for obesity relies on a genetic rationale, but this does not explain the rapid increase in obesity over just the past 20-30 years - genetic adaptations do not occur that quickly.
I think the answer is in your question. Humans are eating and living in a way that is not in harmony with our evolution.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I don't think there's a hormonal imbalance that would cause the dude to consume 20,000 calories a day! That's more than a person should have in a week, FFS! In what way did the doctors force him to eat that amount of food? And if he was bed bound, why don't we blame the person who was bringing him that amount of food?

I'm about 90lbs overweight myself, but I blame no one but myself; because I know I've not been eating properly or exercising. I can't blame a doctor for putting that fast food in my mouth. And I'm now doing something about it by joining a gym and reducing my calorie intake.

I'm far from an expert. I probably know/understand just enough about metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and diabetes to be dangerous. Pretty much everyone in my dad's family has diabetes (which is why I'm going to lose the weight now). But hormones really don't excuse the guy from consuming that amount of calories on a daily basis. Sorry I just don't buy it. He had to know eating that much wasn't good for him.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Sorry, I don't think there's a hormonal imbalance that would cause the dude to consume 20,000 calories a day! That's more than a person should have in a week, FFS! In what way did the doctors force him to eat that amount of food? And if he was bed bound, why don't we blame the person who was bringing him that amount of food?

I'm about 90lbs overweight myself, but I blame no one but myself; because I know I've not been eating properly or exercising. I can't blame a doctor for putting that fast food in my mouth. And I'm now doing something about it by joining a gym and reducing my calorie intake.

I'm far from an expert. I probably know/understand just enough about metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and diabetes to be dangerous. Pretty much everyone in my dad's family has diabetes (which is why I'm going to lose the weight now). But hormones really don't excuse the guy from consuming that amount of calories on a daily basis. Sorry I just don't buy it. He had to know eating that much wasn't good for him.
Actually, there are certain hormonal and neurological factors that affect satiety, and therefore appetite. Also, there are some people who genuinely have a "slow metabolism" (the usual explanation given for being obese - normal caloric intake but abnormal resting caloric output).

However, most of the scientific evidence indicates that such people are in a very small minority - so while Cape Blue has a point in terms of explaining obesity in some individuals, it doesn't explain it in most cases, and it definitely doesn't explain the trend towards higher prevalence of obesity.

Physical inactivity explains some of the energy imbalance equation, but in general it is excessive caloric intake (high-calorie foods, changes in eating habits, like binge eating, eating while watching TV, etc., underestimation of portion sizes) that explain why most people become obese.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:07 pm

Physical inactivity explains some of the energy imbalance equation, but in general it is excessive caloric intake (high-calorie foods, changes in eating habits, like binge eating, eating while watching TV, etc., underestimation of portion sizes) that explain why most people become obese.
And the corn bastards.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there are certain hormonal and neurological factors that affect satiety, and therefore appetite. Also, there are some people who genuinely have a "slow metabolism" (the usual explanation given for being obese - normal caloric intake but abnormal resting caloric output).

However, most of the scientific evidence indicates that such people are in a very small minority - so while Cape Blue has a point in terms of explaining obesity in some individuals, it doesn't explain it in most cases, and it definitely doesn't explain the trend towards higher prevalence of obesity.

I truly believe physical inactivity has a lot to do with weight gain/obesity. I have a desk job - I sit at a computer 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I usually try to exercise at least 4 times a week and when the better weather comes, walk almost every day. I find that when (for whatever reason) I cut back on the exercise, I gain weight - even though I am not eating any more.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:05 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Always lot of firm opinions on this issue, one has to wonder if it only takes a little exercise or some basic self-control, why such a large portion of the population are unable to manage it.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...4509588&sr=8-3 - hands down the best book I have read on obesity, quotes multiple studies over the past 100+ years from Germany, UK, US and onwards. It's a pretty hefty tomb at 640 pages, he has just written a more digestible version that came out only a few weeks ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat...4509588&sr=8-1
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
[/B]I truly believe physical inactivity has a lot to do with weight gain/obesity. I have a desk job - I sit at a computer 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I usually try to exercise at least 4 times a week and when the better weather comes, walk almost every day. I find that when (for whatever reason) I cut back on the exercise, I gain weight - even though I am not eating any more.
Physical activity and exercise absolutely do have an important role to play in weight management - but the "calorie-burning" side of it is minimal ...

Tell me this - how many miles would a person of average body size have to walk to expend the same number of calories as they would intake by eating one Mars bar ....?

[I'm interested in what people think - I'll tell you the answer later]
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Always lot of firm opinions on this issue, one has to wonder if it only takes a little exercise or some basic self-control, why such a large portion of the population are unable to manage it.
Perhaps because we do seem to live in a society where people are unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions? This man -- or someone around him -- had the wit to make money with a TV program, and to initiate a lawsuit, but not to get the help he needed.

I fully accept that some people are always going to be larger than others, and that it is passed down in the genes -- but there is large and there is ridiculous! My girlfriend was married to two men, and had a daughter with each. First husband, slim -- daughter likewise. Second husband -- a big boy! And so was this daughter.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:16 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...4509588&sr=8-3 - hands down the best book I have read on obesity, quotes multiple studies over the past 100+ years from Germany, UK, US and onwards. It's a pretty hefty tomb at 640 pages, he has just written a more digestible version that came out only a few weeks ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat...4509588&sr=8-1
"Big Fat Lies" by Glen Gaesser is another interesting one:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Lies-W...4510519&sr=1-1
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Physical activity and exercise absolutely do have an important role to play in weight management - but the "calorie-burning" side of it is minimal ...

Tell me this - how many miles would a person of average body size have to walk to expend the same number of calories as they would intake by eating one Mars bar ....?

[I'm interested in what people think - I'll tell you the answer later]
Data missing. Need weight of person and walking speed for estimation.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:28 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Data missing. Need weight of person and walking speed for estimation.
Average weight is all the information you need - I'm only asking for people to give an approximation. I'd be happy to provide specific answers for a range of body weights but let's not unnecessarily complicate things at this point.

And speed is irrelevant - the external energy cost per unit distance for moving an object of a given weight is independent of speed, certainly within the range of normal walking speeds (i.e., 2.0-4.0 mph). Internal metabolic cost is irrelevant for walking (unlike cycling, for example).
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:30 pm

Internal metabolic cost is irrelevant for walking (unlike cycling, for example).
What about unicycling?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I see that the "blame everyone else because I have no self-control" syndrome is in full force in the UK, too!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...fficientl.html
I only have two points to make. First, when was the last time he saw his cock? Second, when will he be returning his statuette to Norris McWhirter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.