Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS Health Care if you move back??!!!

Wikiposts

NHS Health Care if you move back??!!!

Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS Health Care if you move back??!!!

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Do you think there'd be any problem with having had no recent medical history in England? I mean, all I have is an old cardboard NI card to prove the number with a long-expired address on it.
The last time I visited the Doc over there, he had an ashtray on his desk and still made house-calls.
I didn't have any problem either time. I knew my old NHS number off by heart but they gave me a new number anyway. Because of the increasing concern over "NHS health tourists" (expats who come back for a spell just to get free routine health care), there may be an additional level of scrutiny these days but I think it would depend on who was across the counter. I think most NHS workers are too busy to ask a bunch of questions, TBH.

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 4th 2011 at 9:28 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I didn't have any problem either time. I knew my old NHS number off by heart but they gave me a new number anyway. Because of the increasing concern over "NHS health tourists" (expats who come back for a spell just to get free routine health care), there may be an additional level of scrutiny these days but I think it would depend on who was across the counter. I think most NHS workers are too busy to ask a bunch of questions, TBH.
I just went to the doctor (2009) and gave my previous address from 1987 and that was that. I don't remember any questions but if there were I genuinely did intend to stay so I would have answered in that way.

I too know my old NHS number, it was on my birth certificate, but the lady told me those old letters/numbers had been replaced by a new system of just numbers these days.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Landed back in Blighty on monday! It has been great. I just signed up at the GP's office with my NHS card. Easy as pie.

reeni
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBTOUSA
OK - I think I've "sort of" got it clear - no NHS on a visit (which makes perfect sense) but if I were to move back, assuming I had been back for 12 months and was intending to stay - as a permanent resident - then I would be re-eligible.

My fear was permanent NHS exclusion even if I returned to the UK permanently. Of course rules can change and that still might happen.....sheesh

They seem to be interpreting the rules pretty tightly for that lady
UK citizens who move back are elegible from day one, just go to your local health centre, with proof that you are permanently here, and you can sign up.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBTOUSA
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...h-tourist.html

Blimey - so expats are totally ineligible for NHS care? Even as UK citizens, if we've paid taxes and continue to file UK taxes?

Sheesh -that's scary.

My Fiance arrived in the Uk to visit me and was taken ill, i took her to see a Doctor: NO CHARGE, Medication NO CHARGE.

I would have no fears of claiming NHS in the UK moving back, as there tends to be no problems for immigrants from South & East Europe coming into the country illegal and claiming.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
My Fiance arrived in the Uk to visit me and was taken ill, i took her to see a Doctor: NO CHARGE, Medication NO CHARGE.

I would have no fears of claiming NHS in the UK moving back, as there tends to be no problems for immigrants from South & East Europe coming into the country illegal and claiming.
The queue for the illegal immigrants thread is over on the left (or maybe that should be the right?), next to the Daily Mail stand.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961

Anyone living in the country permanently is entitled to NHS treatment, anyone at all is entitled to emergency treatment.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The queue for the illegal immigrants thread is over on the left (or maybe that should be the right?), next to the Daily Mail stand.
Definitely the right
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
This is a good reminder to those long term overseas to always take insurance when you travel back to the UK
many of my friends in the UK laugh when I say I have insurance but I have always known that once you go you are not entitled to non emergency treatment. A fair system really so any visitor (non EU) whether or not Brit cit has to pay.
Good ole daily mail - would have been the first to highlight someone from India say on a visit who took medical care so why not a brit who has clearly said they are intending to return overseas -
Wait, now I'm confused again. If you can get emergency treatment while in the UK already covered, why would you need insurance?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:47 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wait, now I'm confused again. If you can get emergency treatment while in the UK already covered, why would you need insurance?
Maybe for things like repatriation costs, follow-up treatment, etc.?

I think there is a rather vague understanding of what constitutes "emergency treatment" and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of the definition. If it just means stopping the bleeding and stablizing you, that may not be enough. The extra costs in getting back home in a full body cast or receiving physio to even be able to get home may not be covered unless you have travel insurance ...
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe for things like repatriation costs, follow-up treatment, etc.?

I think there is a rather vague understanding of what constitutes "emergency treatment" and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of the definition. If it just means stopping the bleeding and stablizing you, that may not be enough. The extra costs in getting back home in a full body cast or receiving physio to even be able to get home may not be covered unless you have travel insurance ...
Thanks.. I didn't think of that sort of thing. Was stuck on 'broken arm', lol.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:28 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hey at least that way I'd get to stay in the UK
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:40 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Hey at least that way I'd get to stay in the UK
Gives the wish "Break a leg" a whole new useage.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's for the EMERGENCY treatment only, if you need to be admitted, that is not part of the emergency treatment, so you would have to pay, plus any follow up treatment, and, as has been said, repatriation if needed.