Wikiposts

NHS Care for Expats

Old Jan 5th 2015, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS Care for Expats

Originally Posted by michali
The law is in place but we are not sure how it will be implemented as yet. Even the law relating to landlords has only been rolled out in a couple of areas, I think. Only time will tell what restrictions will be placed on expats and non EU family members.
We await the secondary legislation for the NHS, to see what the levy will be, which groups are exempt, transitional protection.

You're right about the landlords who have to check to see they aren't housing an illegal if they want to avoid a fine. Just been rolled out in some areas in England's midlands and to be extended to all of the UK soon.

The immigration act was a big law with massive changes. Some aspects of that law came in virtually immediatley in 2014, while other aspects will come in this year.

EDIT we crossed posts.

Originally Posted by michali
Interesting document which I have only briefly looked at but I wonder if the changes are to be implemented as soon as April, why the amount of surcharge has not been disclosed as yet and how it will be applied to those persons already here on spousal or dependant visas. Possibly at the point of renewing or extending the visa until such time as ILR is attained?
I just looked on the Immigration minister's own site and a release was dated in October saying that they need to bring in some more powers to be able to lay before parliament the secondary legislation to set the NHS levy
https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...igration-rules

Last edited by formula; Jan 5th 2015 at 3:22 am.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I can't find anything saying that either. And the poster does have a few previous posts where others have asked for links suspecting scaremongering....and the links have not appeared.

Formula, quit being obtuse and give us the short sharp link to where emergency treatment in A&E will now be billed, please.
You might need to know that I don't reward bad behaviour.

I'm happy to post links and repost links if somebody has forgotten something or doesn't know how to use the search engine on this site, just so long as they don't demand something or throw a hissy fit.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
I assume I'm not eligible, since I'm not a UK resident. I was in the UK for ten weeks early 2014, and felt disgustingly healthy the whole time because being in England makes me feel happy and contented. I did get a bad right foot injury from walking too much. Even if NHS eligible not sure if I'd have gone to the doctor.
At the moment, you could go to a GP in a surgery or drop in centre and they can either give you a consultation for free or bill you as a private patient. You would need to pay full price for medication if they didn't deem you as resident. Under the new rules, all GP consultations will be free for all, but treatment to be paid for if not a resident.

I'm not sure how a UK citzen proves they are resident. Like you, we rarely got to a doctor and when we moved areas within the UK, it was years before we signed up to a GP (got the vet sorted for the dogs asap of course).

About 2 or 3 years ago I did need to see a GP and used a drop in centre. All I took was some photo ID and explained that I didn't have a GP anymore as I had moved areas. She looked on her system and said that didn't matter as I am allowed free NHS (I couldn't see what records she looked at).

The Brit behind me was told she needed to pay. She insisted she was a UK resident but was told that was not what the system showed. The Brit said she would return with proof, but never did (it was a 2 hour wait in that drop in centre).

Then an EU citizen arrived and the recepionist said the system wasn't set up yet to see if he was working so he wouldn't be billed.

The real time HMRC (where employers now have to report to HMRC each time they pay someone) wasn't set up until the tax year 2013/14, so it can't have been that they saw for me. If it had have been set up then, the receptionist could have seen if the EU citizen needed to pay. The council election/tax lists are too easy to fake. I don't claim any benefits.

Then I noticed that people on some sites were reporting they have been caught for benefit fraud and some landlords said their mortgage companies had caught them for either mortgage fraud or for breaking the terms of their mortgage agreement by letting the property without their lenders permission. It turns out the government have access to credit reports and a credit footprints, so I guess they used that to check me and the Brit who was refused. Banks grouped together to catch the frausters with such things as National Hunter, which checks credit footprints, so it seems the government thought that was a good idea to combat fraud.

My wife's situation is different in that she's a (UK) pensioner already. Her age group got their OAP at age 60. Also, she has NYS retiree healthcare for life. Here, that will become "secondary" when she is of Medicare age, but I assume it will continue to give her health insurance when abroad.
There seem to be new rules coming in for visitors, which I doubt will affect you wife if she correctly states how long she intends to stay. It will affect those who lie to an IO by producing a return flight ticket for a few weeks time, but really intend to change their ticket once given entry to the UK to visit, to stay in the UK for 6 months instead. Under these proposed changes, it seems they will only be stamped in for as long as the return ticket they show to gain entry to the UK.

Last edited by formula; Jan 5th 2015 at 4:24 am.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I still have worldwide coverage from my old employer, but this lapses when I get to be 65 later this year. At that point I transition to Medicare, which has no coverage abroad, so I'll either have to get travel insurance when in the UK .... or actually become a resident.
Some Medicare Advantage plans cover non-US healthcare. That will likely be my approach when I reach that age.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Some Medicare Advantage plans cover non-US healthcare. That will likely be my approach when I reach that age.
Also some Medicare supplement (aka Medigap) plans include this coverage.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
You might need to know that I don't reward bad behaviour.

I'm happy to post links and repost links if somebody has forgotten something or doesn't know how to use the search engine on this site, just so long as they don't demand something or throw a hissy fit.
Sorry but I have no idea what you mean - bad behaviour and hissy fits? OK I have had a bad day but all I asked for was a link.