Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK temporarily from Canada

Moving back to UK temporarily from Canada

Old Jan 5th 2015, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK temporarily from Canada

Hey all,

So I am a UK citizen with Permanent Residency for Canada. I am married to a Canadian citizen.

So basically, me and my Mrs would like to live in the UK for around 8 months. We currently live in Canada. Being a UK citizen, I'm assuming I can come back and work without any problems but does anyone know what the process is for my wife to be able to work? I'm assuming she will need to apply for some kind of visa and what would the timelines be?

Any advice and similar stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK temporarily from Canada

She can visit the UK without a visa for up to 6 months. (no work, NHS eligibility)

Over and above that time she would need either a student visa/work visa/ancestry visa - not suggesting investment visa as presume she does not want one of those.

Look up these types on the UKBA website.

Timelines are different for different visas. All have different requirements, costs, criteria.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

OK, the UKBA website doesn't make it easy to decide what kind of visa she would need. There are loads of options but it seems like it would be a Tier 2 general visa. Does this sound correct for our situation?
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

For a Tier 2 work visa she needs to have a sponsoring employer and her work needs to be on the short list.

For a study visa she needs to enroll in a recognised course with a recognised educational institute, the course needs to be over 6 months and she has to have have monies to pay for the course and money to support herself for up to one year.

Apart from that there is the spouse visa ........

You sound as though you are going to be staying somewhat long term?
Old Jan 5th 2015, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Our plan was to stay in the UK for up to 8 months. I would probably find a job and start working straightaway. My Mrs was hoping to work in this time period too.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

How old is your wife? She may qualify for a working holiday Visa..
Old Jan 5th 2015, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dj322
Our plan was to stay in the UK for up to 8 months. I would probably find a job and start working straightaway. My Mrs was hoping to work in this time period too.
You only moved to Canada in April 2014..... however, you say you want to get a job in the UK ..... your wife also?

Unless she finds a sponsor she won't get a work visa prior to entering the UK.

So you have the choice of a spouse(settlement)visa/working holiday visa or Ancestry visa. All of these visas allow her to work.

All are detailed on the UKBA site:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...nd-immigration

With a straightforward application allow 2 to 3 months for processing.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
She can visit the UK without a visa for up to 6 months. (no work, NHS eligibility)

Over and above that time she would need either a student visa/work visa/ancestry visa - not suggesting investment visa as presume she does not want one of those.

Look up these types on the UKBA website.

Timelines are different for different visas. All have different requirements, costs, criteria.
I'm just curious how she would be NHS eligible if she is only visiting?

Is there a reciprocal agreement with Canada?

Or do you mean "no work, (and also no) NHS eligibility"?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

That's how I read it, no work and no NHS.

To dj322 I'd suggest an easy compromise. You return to UK, get a job, settle in temporarily etc, your wife simply visits you for a slightly shorter time, less than six months. The only downside is she wouldn't be able to work, and she wouldn't have NHS.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Unless she finds a sponsor she won't get a work visa prior to entering the UK.

So you have the choice of a spouse(settlement)visa/working holiday visa or Ancestry visa. All of these visas allow her to work.
At age 33, she is too old for a working holiday (Youth Mobility) visa.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

"There is no reciprocal agreement on health care between theUKand[sic] Canada".
Health Care
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I do. sorry, should have put in that extra NO
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
That's how I read it, no work and no NHS.

To dj322 I'd suggest an easy compromise. You return to UK, get a job, settle in temporarily etc, your wife simply visits you for a slightly shorter time, less than six months. The only downside is she wouldn't be able to work, and she wouldn't have NHS.
I agree with this. It's not worth going through the hassle of doing the spouse visa if you only plan to stay for 8 months.

And as for an employer sponsoring a work visa, I doubt (just a feeling, no experience in this) an employer would do this for someone who only planned to be there 8 months, unless her field of work is extremely specific and hard to find employees in UK.