Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Newly resident in UK - can't get a credit card!

Newly resident in UK - can't get a credit card!

Old Oct 3rd 2023, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

ArizonaTrail is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Newly resident in UK - can't get a credit card!

My apologies if this has been asked before. I didn't turn up much in a search. I have been resident in the UK for over a year now and want to start building a credit record here. I'm getting rejected from all credit card applications, even the ones for people with bad credit. When they give a reason, it's because I have no credit record. Well, that's the point!

I have liquid savings, decent household income (from my spouse's job, I'm a stay-at-home parent) and a stellar credit rating of 838 in the US based on 25+ years of borrowing. My father-in-law would be willing to co-sign on a credit card but this doesn't seem to be an option. Any insights on how to even get to square one?

Last edited by ArizonaTrail; Oct 3rd 2023 at 11:15 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2023, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly resident in UK - can't get a credit card!

Are you on the electoral register? If not, you won't get credit.
Old Oct 7th 2023, 10:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told you can get an Amex card before 18 months residency. We've not bothered and just use debit
Old Oct 7th 2023, 10:56 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArizonaTrail
My apologies if this has been asked before. I didn't turn up much in a search. I have been resident in the UK for over a year now and want to start building a credit record here. I'm getting rejected from all credit card applications, even the ones for people with bad credit. When they give a reason, it's because I have no credit record. Well, that's the point!

I have liquid savings, decent household income (from my spouse's job, I'm a stay-at-home parent) and a stellar credit rating of 838 in the US based on 25+ years of borrowing. My father-in-law would be willing to co-sign on a credit card but this doesn't seem to be an option. Any insights on how to even get to square one?
Cannot help on the CC application, but wondering if you have your own bank account or a joint one? If it is joint, consider opening and operating your own account to improve credit rating.

As has already been said, ensure you are on the electoral register too so that you are verifiable.

If you have applied for numerous cards already, and been rejected, stop applying - all those rejected applications can have a negative impact.

I think you can apply for your UK credit rating with the credit reference agencies like Experion and Equifax for free so it may be worth getting a copy and confirming that there are no errors in your report.

Finally, I want to ask if this is your own BE account or you are using your partners? I ask as you mention your father-in-law, and the original poster mentioned a British born father. If I am wrong, I apologise, but we do usually recommend that people have their own log in to avoid misunderstandings.
Old Oct 8th 2023, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

ArizonaTrail is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the messages. I'm currently using my own Wise debit card. I haven't tried getting a non-Wise bank account. I just assumed it would be difficult because I am an American citizen and, you know, FATCA.

I only applied to be on the electoral register a few days ago, so I'm hoping this is the issue. I'm also seeing about transferring the utilities into my name. Then I'll try again in a few months.
​​​
Old Oct 8th 2023, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArizonaTrail
Thanks for all the messages. I'm currently using my own Wise debit card. I haven't tried getting a non-Wise bank account. I just assumed it would be difficult because I am an American citizen and, you know, FATCA.

I only applied to be on the electoral register a few days ago, so I'm hoping this is the issue. I'm also seeing about transferring the utilities into my name. Then I'll try again in a few months.
​​​
Being a USC will stop you from getting a UK bank at any of the main banks. They will ask on application and then ask you to complete a W9 so that they can report balances as required by FATCA, which you should be doing anyway with annual FBAR reports. Our daughter moved back from California last November, stayed with us while house hunting, and completed an online application using using her phone and Chase UK app while sitting on our couch one evening not long after arriving. Took 30 minutes and her account was active immediately, she told me her sort code and account number and I sent her a fiver which arrived in her new UK bank account within seconds.

No proof of residence needed these days.
Old Oct 10th 2023, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/lo...-credit-score/
Old Oct 10th 2023, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Being a USC will stop you from getting a UK bank at any of the main banks.
Apologies I meant say that being a USC will NOT stop you from getting an account at any of the UK main banks.