Reload this Page >

Newly Married Couple moving to the UK

Newly Married Couple moving to the UK

Old Mar 15th 2017, 7:40 am
Just Joined

januaryprincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly Married Couple moving to the UK

Hi!

I'm Filipina and my husband is British. We're planning to move to the UK in a couple of months. We're looking for a place where there's a good community, not much crime, good internet service, near a train station (we would like to travel around Europe a lot via train so we need to be around Kent) and 1-2 hours away from London since we'd like to visit London a lot.

We want some advice, (Pro's and Cons) about the places we're considering moving to in the UK.

1. Sevenoaks, Kent
2. Ebbsfleet, Kent (heard a lot of bad things about this place though)
3. Ashford, Kent
4. Brighton, East Sussex
5. Ewell, Surrey

Thank you so much.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly Married Couple moving to the UK

Thought your husband was being transferred to the UK ? So where is he working? That should be a major influence.

No point saying Ewell is great if he works in Ashford Kent.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

1,3,4,5 are all expensive places! Ebbsfleet not so much - but you seem aware of the areas reputation , however I believe there is a push to build more houses there and "tidy" it up.A lot depends on where your husband will be working , so if you can give a little more info then you will be able to get more specific opinions.
For example, my neice worked in Ewell and rented a SMALL one bedroom flat which cost her over £600 a month , and it was a bit of a dump! She stuck it for 3 years , got a new job in Cardiff and pays £300 month for a 3 bed house!
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Thought your husband was being transferred to the UK ? So where is he working? That should be a major influence.

No point saying Ewell is great if he works in Ashford Kent.
He works from home So the choice is all ours where to move to in the UK.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quiltman
1,3,4,5 are all expensive places! Ebbsfleet not so much - but you seem aware of the areas reputation , however I believe there is a push to build more houses there and "tidy" it up.A lot depends on where your husband will be working , so if you can give a little more info then you will be able to get more specific opinions.
For example, my neice worked in Ewell and rented a SMALL one bedroom flat which cost her over £600 a month , and it was a bit of a dump! She stuck it for 3 years , got a new job in Cardiff and pays £300 month for a 3 bed house!
He works from home Thanks so much
Old Mar 16th 2017, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Sevenoaks Brighton and Ewell are expensive. Ebbsfleet does have major house building as well as the new theme park project. It's also a bit in the middle of nowhere. Ashford is OK in most parts and you can get some reasonable rentals especially in the villages just outside. It is surrounded by lovely countryside and has an OK shopping centre as well as the outlet village. It is also a short drive to Maidstone and Canterbury for shopping etc. It also has the fast train to London and the Eurostar, near the tunnel and less than 30 mins to Dover ferries. It would definitely be my choice if I didn't live in lovely sunny Folkestone.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bridie55
Sevenoaks Brighton and Ewell are expensive. Ebbsfleet does have major house building as well as the new theme park project. It's also a bit in the middle of nowhere. Ashford is OK in most parts and you can get some reasonable rentals especially in the villages just outside. It is surrounded by lovely countryside and has an OK shopping centre as well as the outlet village. It is also a short drive to Maidstone and Canterbury for shopping etc. It also has the fast train to London and the Eurostar, near the tunnel and less than 30 mins to Dover ferries. It would definitely be my choice if I didn't live in lovely sunny Folkestone.
Thank you