New to Forum...

Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

cretemum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Forum...

Hi everyone,

After lurking for a couple of weeks, thought I'd join and say hello - a couple of the recent threads are very pertinent to our current situation.

My dh, 3 children and myself have lived in Crete for the last 7 and a half years.

I have tonight (after lots of planning and soul searching) booked our one-way tickets back the UK - February next year; less than 3 months.

I will probably have some questions which I hope you can help me with and will continue to read the forum with interest.

How do I feel; scared, sad, a failure and overwhelmed BUT also strangely happy, excited, determined and ready.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New to Forum...

HELLO

And welcome !

I am sure you will gets lots of help here !
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome.
ask lots of questions, and settle in for a chat.
You aren't a failure, people move all the time, one one reason or another.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Hello!

I've read your other posts and just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your move to the UK.

Your mixed emotions are the same as most people moving back, because a lot of us have that element of doubt in the back of our minds that we are doing the right thing for ourselves and our children. We will only know for sure when we are back!

It's a good but strange feeling booking the one way tickets too - it's so definite then!

As other's have said, ask any questions that you need to as this site is a great source of info.

Gill x
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Always helps me- don't worry thats what we are here for, to help with easing the stress!!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:39 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Hello

I have only recently returned after being in northern spain although it now feels like an age ago.

I had alot of emotional ups and downs before we moved back, suffered with homesickness and really went out of my mind slightly. But we all moved back and have settled really well. I haven´t been so happy and content for a long time.

You will have alot of emotions going on..it´s a big deal to return but at least you´ll be coming home.

I wish you alot of luck and hope that it goes well.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies.

TBH it is the Crete end of things which are getting me down.

I am pretty certain we will 'make out' alright back in the UK; I speak the language, can find my way around the system and we have enough money, whilst waiting for the house in Crete to sell, to get by.

It is the negativity about Britain (which I never subscribed to really) and the sheer mass of things to do/sort/deal with.

I'm not lazy as a rule but the lists of things to do just keep growing. For a start, we have mountains and mountains of stuff; it is so expensive to ship, even just from another part of europe! So I waste a whole morning just looking through stuff and humming and haaing; probably diversion tactics from the real things needing doing!

See, like now, its 9.09 am, the kids are at school; I should be busy!!!

x cretemum
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:37 am
Just Joined

zorbas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cretemum
Hi everyone,

After lurking for a couple of weeks, thought I'd join and say hello - a couple of the recent threads are very pertinent to our current situation.

My dh, 3 children and myself have lived in Crete for the last 7 and a half years.

I have tonight (after lots of planning and soul searching) booked our one-way tickets back the UK - February next year; less than 3 months.

I will probably have some questions which I hope you can help me with and will continue to read the forum with interest.

How do I feel; scared, sad, a failure and overwhelmed BUT also strangely happy, excited, determined and ready.
I have, together with wife, just returned back to the UK, having lived in Crete for three and a half years. Big regrets about having moved there in the first place, but that's another story ! So far, we are loving every single minute of being back home. We've both found jobs, are in the process of buying a house and just feel so relaxed now. I can now appreciate the UK and all it has to offer. I miss the Cretan sunshine, but that's about all !
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Oh your not alone....I think at some stage in "planning your return home" we have all felt some of the above...but for me and my OH we have never felt a failure...if anything we think it has helped us look at life in a better way....so don't feel a failure.....everything else your feeling at the moment is natural..and your on the right "site" for help etc...try and take one step at a time...good luck
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:38 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

It is the negativity about Britain (which I never subscribed to really) and the sheer mass of things to do/sort/deal with.

I'm not lazy as a rule but the lists of things to do just keep growing. For a start, we have mountains and mountains of stuff; it is so expensive to ship, even just from another part of europe! So I waste a whole morning just looking through stuff and humming and haaing; probably diversion tactics from the real things needing doing!

See, like now, its 9.09 am, the kids are at school; I should be busy!!!

x cretemum
hello cretemum, we recently moved back from USA after 18 yrs there. To me too, at the foot of the mountain it looked mighty tall but you simply climb it one step at a time. Start nibbling at stuff you haven't used in a while and remove it from your life, sell it, give it, chuck it. Once the journey starts and you get a small success your confidence will build that you can get to the top. Or the other way is to get quotes and make a budget for shipping - and wean down your stuff towards a target until the quantity / cost suits your needs.

You are definitely not alone, many have been where you stand and made a successful and positive return to where they want to be.
On failure, never! Making the move in the first place was a positive thing, deciding to come back is another positive move, no different than moving between towns in UK, no different than starting dancing class and finding you have two left feet, no shame.

DH was hung up on the the negatives of UK when we were thinking of moving back, but once back here reality pushed the negatives to the background and we live here now with a positive and fresh appreciation for the UK that we would not have had if we had not lived away. Consider moving to a new area of UK that you desire, it will feel more like a step forward than a step back.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
On failure, never! Making the move in the first place was a positive thing, deciding to come back is another positive move, no different than moving between towns in UK
I so agree with this and my husband and I were discussing this very thing last night. I think he wrestles with this feeling a little bit - he sees lots of positives about moving home, but also I think at the back of his mind he wonders if moving home would be an admission of failure in some way. I was saying exactly what you're saying ... we have had good lives here and been very fortunate. Coming here was definitely a positive experience in many ways. Now we're at a different stage of our lives and I want to make the (for me) positive and exciting move back to the UK, to Cumbria where I have never lived before.

To the OP, I am very envious that you are on your way! Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi All

Thank you all SO much for your positivity.

In the last few days, what HAS helped are the lovely Cretan people who say that whilst they will really miss us, that they understand.

Whilst I am having a hard time dealing with the break up of my home, I am trying to stay positive about the situation.

Here, things are stagnant, and we HAVE tried so many ways to make it work. In the UK, I understand the rules of engagement and really feel that I will now appreciate that which I once took for granted.

Have booked flights, hotel for first night and coach 'oop' North. So final now. Dogs plus one cat going on Monday for start of 6 month pet passport scheme - fosterers in place.

ANOTHER car boot sale tomm. to get rid. Quotes in place for that which I what to take back.

Ha! Now only the house, car and van and piece of land we have to SELL!!!

xx Thanks again and spk. soon no doubt!

Cretemum
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
hello cretemum, we recently moved back from USA after 18 yrs there. To me too, at the foot of the mountain it looked mighty tall but you simply climb it one step at a time. Start nibbling at stuff you haven't used in a while and remove it from your life, sell it, give it, chuck it. Once the journey starts and you get a small success your confidence will build that you can get to the top. Or the other way is to get quotes and make a budget for shipping - and wean down your stuff towards a target until the quantity / cost suits your needs.

You are definitely not alone, many have been where you stand and made a successful and positive return to where they want to be.
On failure, never! Making the move in the first place was a positive thing, deciding to come back is another positive move, no different than moving between towns in UK, no different than starting dancing class and finding you have two left feet, no shame.

DH was hung up on the the negatives of UK when we were thinking of moving back, but once back here reality pushed the negatives to the background and we live here now with a positive and fresh appreciation for the UK that we would not have had if we had not lived away. Consider moving to a new area of UK that you desire, it will feel more like a step forward than a step back.
Great post JJ and so true, nobody feels like a failure if they move towns, so why do we when we move back home, I think that is a big block that stop lots of people moving back.......well said.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:05 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I so agree with this and my husband and I were discussing this very thing last night. I think he wrestles with this feeling a little bit - he sees lots of positives about moving home, but also I think at the back of his mind he wonders if moving home would be an admission of failure in some way. I was saying exactly what you're saying ... we have had good lives here and been very fortunate. Coming here was definitely a positive experience in many ways. Now we're at a different stage of our lives and I want to make the (for me) positive and exciting move back to the UK, to Cumbria where I have never lived before.

To the OP, I am very envious that you are on your way! Good luck
Well guess who will be your first visitor? Put the kettle on and I'll have a nice slice of cake please.

Wow I didn't know you were actually going to LIVE there, you lucky girl.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:50 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well guess who will be your first visitor? Put the kettle on and I'll have a nice slice of cake please.

Wow I didn't know you were actually going to LIVE there, you lucky girl.
I'll get the sticky toffee pudding in!

I plan to live in Kendal unless somewhere else steals my heart or my husband rebels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.