Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need support-totally overwhelmed

Need support-totally overwhelmed

Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default Need support-totally overwhelmed

Hi everyone,

It's been 3 years since I posted on here, time really flies! Just a bit of background-I am British born, Canadian raised, moved back to UK on my own when 17, lived in Coventry for 13 years and then brought my husband and 2 kids here to Ontario six years ago. My Mum was terminally ill and in desperation to be with her, we made the move. We had a very complicated 2 1/2 year PR process for my hubby due to to complications, but got there in the end. He only just applied for his Canadian Citizenship in June of this year.

To cut a very long story short, we are going back to Coventry (England). A series of events has quickly brought us to this decision after "umming" over it for the past year. I recently found out I am going to be laid off come September (I'm the main income earner), my daughter (who is 14 and in England for the summer visiting her Father) decided she wants to remain in the UK, we got a 60 day eviction notice from our landlady a week ago and because we live in a very small rural town, there are no other rentals available. Our landlady has returned to the area from Texas and has decided to harass us even though we have done nothing wrong. And then to top it all off my husband just got word two days ago that his Mum back in England is ill-she has had a series of mini strokes. All of this has been the tip of the ice burg so to speak and we decided the time has come to go home.

My husband left on a flight last night, so he can care for his Mum, and so he can at least try and make some ground work there. My kids are due back here from their Dad's in England on the 15th (next week). I had hoped maybe they could just stay there until I join everyone, but understandibly they want to come back here to say goodbyes and have closure.

We have to be out of this house by the end of September.

I'm on vacation from work until August 16th.

I am sat here feeling shell shocked and totally overwhelmed. I just don't even know where to begin. I'm exhausted-there have been so many tears this past week and so much anxiety and confusion. I have all kinds of thoughts swirling around my head but can't seem to prioritize and get things started.

I have to figure out so much...

Getting 3 dogs and 2 cats back to UK
Getting me and 2 kids back
Getting a job in UK
Getting a rented house in UK
Shipping stuff back to UK, figuring out what to ship
What to do about kids' schooling: what year do they go into?, how does high school work in UK?
What happens with husband's PR status? What happens regarding his Citizenship application?

I have so many questions.....don"t know where to start, don't know what are the most important things to do today/this week while I have no kids and no work....

Any support would be ever so much appreciated.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Need support-totally overwhelmed

Wow!

I know your kids aren't going to like it but it will cost a fortune if they fly back from the UK just to say 'goodbye' to their friends. You will then need to buy 1 way tickets for them to return to the UK and ticket prices don't go down until the end of Summer. They can hook up with their friends with Skype in real time and also perhaps on Facebook.

Why do you feel that you need to return to Coventry? Is your husband's mother there? I grew up in Coventry and all my family live there, but otherwise I wouldn't necessarily wish to move back to the city. However, if you do then one of the best high schools is Coundon Court so try to find a rental in a catchment areas for the school eg. Coundon, fringes of Keresley and maybe even Allesley (although I think the boundaries may change from time to time so check with the LEA - Local Education Authority). My 10 year old nephew attends the local Hollyfast primary school and will go on to CC. I'm not 100% certain but usually the cut-off is 31st August. My birthday is in August so I was always one of the youngest in my school year and friends who were born just a few weeks after me had to go in the year below.

There is always a lot of property available to rent in Coventry, usually advertised in the print edition of the Coventry Evening Telegraph but perhaps also in their online edition. You may need to put down a large deposit if you don't have a job to go to when you first arrive, or look at the website for 'Shelter' for hints and tips. Are you planning to claim government benefits for housing, cost of living etc? You will be able to claim for child benefit but may have to argue your case that you are planning to stay in the UK indefinitely (habitual residence) and there are lots of posts on the boards about habitual residence.

http://icmidlands.icnetwork.co.uk/homes/

Are you seeing this as a permanent move to the UK or just a temporary move? I have no idea how Canadian immigration works, but in the US green card holders can get permission (which must be applied for prior to leaving the States) to move overseas for a year or two without having to lose ones greencard. I wonder if Canada has a similar scheme.

There is a lot of practical advice re. moving to the UK (with info about education) in the green 'stickies' at the top of the MBTTUK boards.

As for sending your pets back to the UK you will need to check the DEFRA requirements (in the stickies). One BE member is currently on the Queen Mary 2 cruise liner from New York to Southampton with her four dogs; it worked out much cheaper than flying them, and also was as inexpensive (maybe even more so) than flying across the pond.

All you can do is take 'baby steps' and I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a spell of bad luck. All the best

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 8th 2012 at 3:37 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need support-totally overwhelmed

Hey cancov. Sounds like you at least are all allowed to enter the UK though that makes it harder to pick task number 1.

I would start by asking the question - how high up the list does money come? If you are able to survive for a bit without income then prioritise the logisitcs of the move based on a) expected duration b) importance to you (I'm guessing that means start on the pets forst as they will take longest and are probably v important).
Ask yourself - why can't I just go to the airport and get on a plane tomorrow? Fix that first, everything else could be done later

Last edited by englishguygoinghome; Aug 8th 2012 at 4:10 pm. Reason: grammar - again!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry that the move has been forced on yourself, hugs, people on here will give you as much help as they can.

Firstly, is there anyway you can convince the kids not to return, thats an awful lot of money saved if they say in the UK.

Regarding the pets, get on to a vet asap and get them ready with vacinnations etc. There are loads of treads on here regarding pet transport companies, just be prepared for the shock of how expensive it is.

Do you have somewhere temp to live when you return back to the UK? If not could your husband in the UK help sort that out.

Regarding schooling it all depends on your childrens age. High school aged 11 till 18 now. Being they start Year 7 at the beginning of Sept being aged 11. Choosing a school depends so much on the area you live and if they have places. You can look up OFSTED reports on schools (offical goverment reports on schools), they give results like excellent, good, poor, with a breakdown of areas and results. You don't need excellent, good is more common.

If a school has a place and they have no one waiting, you can go to any school (do not have to live in the area), but this is only if they have places. Schools usually go on, area first, then siblings in school, back to distance from school again. If they have no places you then have to move onto a school with places. This is why area is so important, you can move to an area where people are fighting/lying to the school board to get into the only goods schools or like the area I moved from, there were enough places for everyone to go where they wanted.

The good news is, if you get your kids in one school and you move to a new house your kids don't have to leave the school. Schools are on holiday at the moment, but could your husband contact the local Education Authority in the area you want to live (they allocate places not the school). School starts beginning of Sept in the UK. Your husband could contact the LEA, sort out schools, your kids stay in the UK and start the beginning of the year.

I hope things work out for your family and life in the the UK.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Thank you so much everyone, I feel better already reading those responses.

We do want to return to Coventry. I know it has it's faults, but it is "home" and where the kids' Dad lives and my husband's family lives. It"s also what we know to a degree.

I agree about the cost of the kids coming back only to leave again; luckily their Dad and his wife have offered to cover the cost, because my first response was it was an expense I just couldn't justify. It also seems to be a consolation to my son, who isn't exactly impressed about the thought of leaving his friends and popularity here.

I'm very confused about schooling. We will (hopefully) be living in the Coundon Court catchment area of Coventry, which I know is a great school. My daughter has one friend (my best friend's daughter who she kept in touch with)her age that goes there. She is turning 14 September 18th and would be going into Grade 9 in Canada, so I think its pretty simple for her, she will easily slip into Year 9 in England. She is academically able, so I worry less for her. However, my son is more complicated. He will turn 16 in November, and in Canada he would technically be going into Grade 11. Truth be told though, he is behind in school here, having failed and dropped out of some credits here. He is bright, but does have a borderline learning disabilty and spent too much time messing around over the past two years. He recently got on a good path and his plan was to attend high school for an extra year to catch up on all that he needed to graduate. So, anyways, I don't understand how it works with secondary school in England, with GCSE's and what courses do you take and all that? What year would he go into school for? What courses would he take, is there choice? Ive tried the council website but it doesn't really explain in a way I understand.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thats one shocker after another, no wonder you are reeling.
I'd second making the kids stay in UK, really no point coming back for a few weeks and then you having to fork out another fortune to fly them to UK. I also second skype for them.
I think it was Britwhore that did it all in 5 weeks wasn't it?
She's on the QM2 right now so can't really answer
I'd start with clearing closets and reading the info on DEFRA for the pets, maybe a trip back on the QM2 is in order seeing you have animals, if they have room for them. It's cheaper than flying right now.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Although it's expensive, maybe the kids saying goodbye will help with their transition back to the UK?

Good luck with it all.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Just spoke with QM2, they said they have no kennel room until next year and I can't go on a waitlist unless I book. I'm going to try some other routes.

Does anyone know of a good shipping company? I used Britannia coming to Canada.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Kids in the UK usually choose the courses they want to take for GCSE exams for the beginning of Year 10, each school offers a range of courses. These courses can last for 2 years, followed by the exams.

But, schools are now becoming very flexable regarding exams, some put children in early if they think they are capable of passing.

Also, some schools are very anti putting children back a year.

Regarding now children have to continue on to 18, I believe this gives kids the time to either redue exams they have failed or continue onto A levels/other qualifications.

The main point is each school will offer a slightly different approach to your sons return to the UK education system. If you have an idea of where your son will go to school I would advise getting in contact asap and discussing the process. I am aware a couple of other posters have brought high school children back, bringing as much info/grade details with them. This has been taken into account regarding their education.

Good luck with your move, I know the childrens education will be concerning you greatly. Best advice is speak to the school.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Homeiswheretheheartis. And everyone else that is offering support.

I've spent the day researching the following things: schooling, flights, and pet shipping.

I have sent out emails and left messages regarding schools and pet carriers and will follow up tomorrow.

I feel a bit more informed regarding schooling now. I know what I need to ask and explore as I speak with the potential schools and the council.

My husband's flight last night only cost him $199 one way all in. That was a deal! The kids and I will fly with Air Transat since its the cheapest.

I am going to get the ball rolling regarding the steps to get the pets ready (microchips, rabies shots, documents etc). Will hopefully get them to a vet first thing next week.

I'm hoping I can send the pets out to my husband prior to me leaving. I just don't know what company is the cheapest.

I'm really at a loss regarding movers. I just want to get say 3 companies to come lok at my stuff and give me quotes for door to door service. Is that possible and if so who would be the top 3 companies to contact?

I also need to try and arrange a place for us to live. My hope is to do that from here and have my hubby go and check the places out before we go ahead and decide.

Sooo much to do.

I'm at home with no kids and no husband and just feeling anxious to get something achieved.

Sorry that I'm rambling on here lol
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:37 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cancov
Thank you Homeiswheretheheartis. And everyone else that is offering support.

I've spent the day researching the following things: schooling, flights, and pet shipping.

I have sent out emails and left messages regarding schools and pet carriers and will follow up tomorrow.

I feel a bit more informed regarding schooling now. I know what I need to ask and explore as I speak with the potential schools and the council.

My husband's flight last night only cost him $199 one way all in. That was a deal! The kids and I will fly with Air Transat since its the cheapest.

I am going to get the ball rolling regarding the steps to get the pets ready (microchips, rabies shots, documents etc). Will hopefully get them to a vet first thing next week.

I'm hoping I can send the pets out to my husband prior to me leaving. I just don't know what company is the cheapest.

I'm really at a loss regarding movers. I just want to get say 3 companies to come lok at my stuff and give me quotes for door to door service. Is that possible and if so who would be the top 3 companies to contact?

I also need to try and arrange a place for us to live. My hope is to do that from here and have my hubby go and check the places out before we go ahead and decide.

Sooo much to do.

I'm at home with no kids and no husband and just feeling anxious to get something achieved.

Sorry that I'm rambling on here lol
Hi Cancov, We have not been long gone from London, Ontario. Similar situation in that we all came back at different times. We had furniture, pet etc etc to ship so I will PM you with all details and prices, where to go for certs for pets etc. We used Petsaway both to and from Canada (a UK based company) who were ab fab. They deal with shipping army personnel pets so come highly regarded and he seems to be the cheapest. We enquired with Ladyhay but Petsaway were cheaper and just thought we would stick with who we know.
Anyway I will PM you!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:13 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cancov
It also seems to be a consolation to my son, who isn't exactly impressed about the thought of leaving his friends and popularity here.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Although it's expensive, maybe the kids saying goodbye will help with their transition back to the UK?
I agree with Sally that saying goodbye (not only to the important people in their lives, but also the places they love & will miss) can be extremely important in an expat child's life, especially teen-agers, who are feeling strong stirrings of independence from parents. I'm so glad you've found a way to let your kids do this, Concov.

Of course, it's no guarantee the transition will be any smoother, especially for your son, but it will at the very least allow him & his friends to properly mourn the loss that a country move means to kids of that age.

Best of luck with it all!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cancov, I used these when looking for our flat, I chose ours from Canada & hubby had a look & sorted everything from over here.....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-.../Coventry.html
http://www.findaproperty.com/to-rent...y.warwickshire
http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop...ands/coventry/

No doubt there's more but these will get you started.

Good luck with the move
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again everyone. I thought I would update regarding my situation.....

1) Hubby is safe and well at his Mum's house in Coventry. His Mum is doing well health wise; she has to go for more tests but she seems to be stable. Today he took our kids (his step-kids, who have been staying with their Father in Coventry for the summer) to the Canada V France Women's Soccer game in Coventry. He also bought them both Cov City foorball tops, so he is happy and feeling "at home". His family have him doing a bunch of jobs tomorrow (mow lawn, build shed, move furniture), so as of Monday he will be in job search mode.

2) The kids have started to tell their friends here in Canada the plans (via Facebook) and are planning a farewell party. My son seems to be more accepting of the idea. Daughter is excited and is already socializing with previous UK friends.

3) I have almost come to a decision about the pets. I am waiting on one more quote which I will get back tomorrow. My likely plan is to "do it myself", as in I am not going to pay extra for a pet shipping company. After speaking with Air Canada Cargo tonight, it is now clear to me that I can send the pets a few days ahead of when I fly. I will do all the prep work in terms of vets, documentation etc. I will drop pets off at AC Cargo on day of their departure. They will be handled by a company in England at the other end (James Cargo) who will do the customs clearance, and then my husband will do the pick up in their holding area at the airport. I pay the total fee to AC when I drop the pets off...total $4054. The pets have vet appointments on Mon and Tues next week to get their microchips and rabies shots. I will also bring them back for deworming and fit to fly note, as well as getting the EU Vetrenary Form thingy filled in and then signed off by the government department (food inspection agency,I think it is). All of this will be more costs. Also, I need to buy a small crate for the cat and an XL crate for the biggest dog. The two JRTs already have approved crates. I cannot believe how expensive this pet stuff is, its kind of sickening. Lol

3) I am still investigating shipping companies for our stuff. I'm back and forth getting quotes. Still dont know whether to ship furniture or sell up and start again in UK.

4) I am up to speed regarding schooling now. My preferred school is full, so they will be refused and I will have to appeal. I have all the forms and info being emailed to me tomorrow. I spent nearly two hours with an awesome guy, a "Choice Advisor" through the council, who was a wealth of information, and really helped me. He has advised me how to fill out the forms and what the best course of action is regarding admissions. As for my son's situation, once I get him into a school, I will work with them to come up with a plan that suits my son's needs. I feel much more confident about this now.

5) No luck yet with housing. Tomorrow I am going to make calls to estate agents instead of email. I did have the joy of dealing with a professional scammer via email today. I had put an ad on Gumtree, which he replied to. After much back and forth over a property that sounded suitable, photos looked good, address of house provided, when I asked to have my husband come view it, it all got crazy. It involved wiring money before even viewing etc. etc. It was a blatent scam. So that was a bit disheartening.

6) I have a list of companies to write to regarding work and approx. 6 job ads to apply to. I'm also going to register with an egency that specializes in Criminal Justice work, as that is my field (Youth work/social care/criminal justice). I was a Probation Officer in England previously. If worst comes to worst my brother in law can get me a cleaning job for starters!

I think that is it for now. Thanks again to you all. I dont know where I would be without this site!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say you certainly deserve several for what you have achieved thus far! It's always a bit of a nightmare when the wheels fall off but you seem to be doing an amazing job! Good luck with the accommodation, I am sure that, too, will fall into place!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.