Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Need to return to UK..help/advice

Need to return to UK..help/advice

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:28 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to return to UK..help/advice

Has anyone returned to uk and had to pay VAT/Duty on personal belongings because they did not meet the strict criteria.

Due to returning within 6/12 months, will I have to pay duty and vat on items I brought in Aus and paid tax at source ?

The below is from costoms website.......................

Can I get relief from duty and tax on transfer of residence?

Yes. You can bring in your belongings or vehicle free of duty and tax so long as you:
are moving your normal home to the EC

have had your normal home outside the EC for a continuous period of at least 12 months

have possessed and used them for at least 6 months outside the EC before they are imported

did not get them under a duty/tax free scheme (but see paragraph 5.2)
declare them to us as explained in paragraph 3.2

will keep them for your personal use and
do not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the EC within 12 months of importation, unless you notify us first and pay duty and VAT on disposal. Our National Advice Service can tell you how to do this.
Belongings include clothing, furniture, portable tools of trade, pets and other household and personal effects, but not alcoholic drinks or tobacco products: you will not get relief on those unless they travel in with you and qualify for the duty-free allowances - see paragraph 2.1.

We will normally waive the second and third conditions if you could not meet them due to circumstances beyond your control. Explain the position to our officer when you declare your belongings or vehicle.

Last edited by dinner-dash; Apr 27th 2009 at 3:32 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to return to UK..help/advice

If it's all your used personal possessions, How will anyone know if you owned it for 6 mths or 6 weeks, I assuming you aren't going out and buying all new stuff to bring home, that I think they'd want to tax you on.
For us, we'd get rid of all our furniture it's not worth much anyway and the cost to ship is more than we'd need for a couple of couches and a bed or two. The rest can come from car boot sales. We aren't that fancy.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

dontrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need to return to UK..help/advice

Hi "Bob"
I can't say much about this with certainty, BUT my cousin & family emigrated to Oz Sept 07 , (He) didn't like it, and came back the following June('08) They too, were concerned about the whole tax thing, but contacted UK customs (or whoever) and explained what had happened. Now I don't know if they gave details on their personal situation, but when their stuff got back to the UK there were no taxes levied on them at all (even though they brought big TV, Fridge & some stuff that they had bought in Oz). So just something to consider, although I'm sure someone with definite experience of this matter will be along shortly!