Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

need my usa car converted for SVA test

need my usa car converted for SVA test

Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need my usa car converted for SVA test

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi Lilybilly 101, no I did'nt know this site, but it is good, the one in Suffolk was the one that I had read about, and they seemed to be reasonable for the person who wrote the thread, so maybe worth an email We brought our car to the test centre today, they looked at it and told me what I needed done to the car, and recommended a mechanic here in Ireland that can do the work, so I have left the car with them and I will let you know how much it is going to cost us when they look at the car. I am also waiting for a price from Sigma I think it is called again will let you know how that goes when they give me a full estimate of costs, although we would have the extra expense of getting the car over to the UK I am really hoping it is not too expensive. I wish I had done my homework first, I would probably sold our car as it is a 2002 chevy, so quite old. But it seems you won't have the same trouble finding places in the UK to do the work on your car, you will have to really weigh up the pros and cons of the cost of petrol ect: over here, that really is the down side. Will keep in touch
Denise
Gosh Denise, weve been over this issue on 50s 60s page, you must have missed it, Dunroving posted some good info from what I remember, Ive always discouraged people from taking cars back to the UK, there just seems to be too many negatives for my liking, Cost of gas, repairs and Insurance, driving on the wrong side, parts availablity and depreciation just to name a few.

Good Luck...
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Gosh Denise, weve been over this issue on 50s 60s page, you must have missed it, Dunroving posted some good info from what I remember, Ive always discouraged people from taking cars back to the UK, there just seems to be too many negatives for my liking, Cost of gas, repairs and Insurance, driving on the wrong side, parts availablity and depreciation just to name a few.

Good Luck...
Hi Fish n Chipds, no I missed Dunrovings posts, the only reason we brought the car was it was costing just a little more to take it home in he container, we had done this 25 years ago and it was no problem, but of course the laws have changed and I should have realised that, also we were thinking of going to spain and thought the left hand drive would not have been a problem, I am waiting to hear how much the whole thing will cost, it seems we wont need to change the headlights after all thank god, so we will see what happens. I have been told there is a market for left hand drives for people who own properties in europe for a second car to leave there, so heres hoping
will let you know how things go, is'nt hindsight a great thing
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fish n Chipds, no I missed Dunrovings posts, the only reason we brought the car was it was costing just a little more to take it home in he container, we had done this 25 years ago and it was no problem, but of course the laws have changed and I should have realised that, also we were thinking of going to spain and thought the left hand drive would not have been a problem, I am waiting to hear how much the whole thing will cost, it seems we wont need to change the headlights after all thank god, so we will see what happens. I have been told there is a market for left hand drives for people who own properties in europe for a second car to leave there, so heres hoping
will let you know how things go, is'nt hindsight a great thing
No Problem Denise, Now I remember you mentioning Spain, and it all made sense with a container, could you tell me the container size and cost to send, Thanks...

Headlights I thought those might just need aligning to the other side of the street, turn signals are a different kettle of fish, I read somewhere that America might eventually change their lights and go with an orange turn signal, but that will be years away if ever...
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

No Problem Denise, Now I remember you mentioning Spain, and it all made sense with a container, could you tell me the container size and cost to send, Thanks...

Headlights I thought those might just need aligning to the other side of the street, turn signals are a different kettle of fish, I read somewhere that America might eventually change their lights and go with an orange turn signal, but that will be years away if ever...
the container was a 40ft, and it cost $4,400. It was the cheapest we could get, we had to bring our stuff to the shipping outlet ourselves, we were supposed to pack our household items ourselves and they build a wall between your belongings and the car, they put the car on the container and secure it, it is all included in that price. But the people at the shipping company packed it all for us at no extra cost when our stuff arrived in Ireland the shipping agent here contacted us, and we had to arrange a van and unload our stuff, they had it all out of the container and the car unloaded to it was a matter of getting my two son in laws husband and myself to get the van loaded up. It really was not a hassle at all just buy a crate of beer for the helpers and they are fine, this was from Toronto/belfast but I am sure there are self loads everywhere. Are you in Canada or the States? because I have been told the states is a lot cheaper to ship to the uk. Also I have to say, some of the things I brought back with me little presents for the kids, that I thought were different, were not, everything you can get in the states and canada you can now get here, so it really is not worth the trouble of bringing back. I did buy my daughter on of the big BBQ's as they are much better there, and I wish I had brought garden furniture as the better stuff over there is much cheaper, we also brought cool box's on wheels as you can't get them here, but other than that you get most things here now.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

the container was a 40ft, and it cost $4,400. It was the cheapest we could get, we had to bring our stuff to the shipping outlet ourselves, we were supposed to pack our household items ourselves and they build a wall between your belongings and the car, they put the car on the container and secure it, it is all included in that price. But the people at the shipping company packed it all for us at no extra cost when our stuff arrived in Ireland the shipping agent here contacted us, and we had to arrange a van and unload our stuff, they had it all out of the container and the car unloaded to it was a matter of getting my two son in laws husband and myself to get the van loaded up. It really was not a hassle at all just buy a crate of beer for the helpers and they are fine, this was from Toronto/belfast but I am sure there are self loads everywhere. Are you in Canada or the States? because I have been told the states is a lot cheaper to ship to the uk. Also I have to say, some of the things I brought back with me little presents for the kids, that I thought were different, were not, everything you can get in the states and canada you can now get here, so it really is not worth the trouble of bringing back. I did buy my daughter on of the big BBQ's as they are much better there, and I wish I had brought garden furniture as the better stuff over there is much cheaper, we also brought cool box's on wheels as you can't get them here, but other than that you get most things here now.
Sorry just realised you are in the states, I have heard it is so much cheaper to ship from the States to the UK, than Canada/Ireland, so might be worth looking into, when are you going back? All the best of luck, what part of the UK are you returning to? I would love to live on the mainland it is so convenient, and I love the villages and traditional pubs, I just wish I knew the right area that I could afford to live, to travel all through the Uk would do my husband in, after all the travelling we already have done, strange you travel so far away, when there are so many beautiful places right on your doorstep But I really have to settle or there will a divorce in this family
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry just realised you are in the states, I have heard it is so much cheaper to ship from the States to the UK, than Canada/Ireland, so might be worth looking into, when are you going back? All the best of luck, what part of the UK are you returning to? I would love to live on the mainland it is so convenient, and I love the villages and traditional pubs, I just wish I knew the right area that I could afford to live, to travel all through the Uk would do my husband in, after all the travelling we already have done, strange you travel so far away, when there are so many beautiful places right on your doorstep But I really have to settle or there will a divorce in this family

Thanks for your quick reply, Very Informative, Im leaving for work and will reply later tonight, Forget the divorce, you just need to remember everything happens for a reason, I wish I was there with you right now, we are looking at Notts, Derbyshire, South Yorkshire area.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone bringing a North American car to the UK, have a look at the magazine Classic American, you will find lots of small ads for conversions and such like in there.

My Stepdad imported a Expedition, he didn't have to change the seatbelts.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
For anyone bringing a North American car to the UK, have a look at the magazine Classic American, you will find lots of small ads for conversions and such like in there.

My Stepdad imported a Expedition, he didn't have to change the seatbelts.
thanks for the information, yes tg we do not have to change the seatbelts
either or the headlights, just need re adjusted
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello Denise.

The 40 ft container for $4400 sounds pretty good to me, Its great that the people helped you pack, I hope you are right about the price being cheaper USA to UK, a 20 ft container might be more than enough for us, I don't plan to take furniture although the bed and a few items would be nice, I think most American furniture is over sized for British homes, and we'd be living in a place much smaller.

I still have 5 plywood trunks that I used last time we went back but Barb in Australia who worked for a shipping agent said the rules have changed over 20 years and I might have problems, or all our items may get fumigated, I haven't looked into any thing as far as shipping goes as I'm not sure on a date, I have my home to sell but first I have my parents home to sell, its been for sale for 10 months, its very difficult in this market.

I see people using those PODS in the USA, that might work perfect for us size wise, I'm not sure they are available for international use at this point.

How long did it take to ship your container?

The world seems a smaller place these days, I agree you can get most things in the UK that are available here, everything seems to be made in China, The BBQ made me laugh...

Id like to take a few extra things back if I had extra space but I'm scared Id have to pay tax on it if they consider it New,

I have lots of things in good condition, Mower, tools, work bench etc that Id get very little for so it would be nice to take that stuff with us...

As far as the mainland goes there are nice places all over, prices vary but some are decent, it all depends no what kind of home you want, I think the area we will go to is fairly priced, Devon is wonderful but prices are higher in most of the south, Id locate 30-60 minutes from an Airport so you can nip over to Ireland when you feel the need.
I wish you well.

Sorry this has got off topic, we were talking about car modifications.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Denise.

The 40 ft container for $4400 sounds pretty good to me, Its great that the people helped you pack, I hope you are right about the price being cheaper USA to UK, a 20 ft container might be more than enough for us, I don't plan to take furniture although the bed and a few items would be nice, I think most American furniture is over sized for British homes, and we'd be living in a place much smaller.

I still have 5 plywood trunks that I used last time we went back but Barb in Australia who worked for a shipping agent said the rules have changed over 20 years and I might have problems, or all our items may get fumigated, I haven't looked into any thing as far as shipping goes as I'm not sure on a date, I have my home to sell but first I have my parents home to sell, its been for sale for 10 months, its very difficult in this market.

I see people using those PODS in the USA, that might work perfect for us size wise, I'm not sure they are available for international use at this point.

How long did it take to ship your container?

The world seems a smaller place these days, I agree you can get most things in the UK that are available here, everything seems to be made in China, The BBQ made me laugh...

Id like to take a few extra things back if I had extra space but I'm scared Id have to pay tax on it if they consider it New,

I have lots of things in good condition, Mower, tools, work bench etc that Id get very little for so it would be nice to take that stuff with us...

As far as the mainland goes there are nice places all over, prices vary but some are decent, it all depends no what kind of home you want, I think the area we will go to is fairly priced, Devon is wonderful but prices are higher in most of the south, Id locate 30-60 minutes from an Airport so you can nip over to Ireland when you feel the need.
I wish you well.

Sorry this has got off topic, we were talking about car modifications.
Hi fish n chips, they do have pods that can be shipped over as far as I know, our container came in 3 weeks, but that was because it was a 40ft, so could go as soon as it was packed, if you share a container it can take longer, as they will wait till its full, I did'nt have to pay any tax on the BBQ and I think you are allowed a certain amount tax free. I am still waiting on cost of the modification of the car so will let you know if it was worth it or nothope you have luck with the sale of both your mothers and your house, the housing market here in Belfast if very bad at the momentas it is everywhere, talk to you soon
Denise
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the Info Denise, Enjoy your day.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the Info Denise, Enjoy your day.
I have been told by the mechanic that the car could cost between £300-£400 to modify, but he thinks it will be closer to £300 If that is the case, and allowing for paying for plates and the SAV test which is £199, I think it will cost between £700-£800, so i think it will be worth it, especially if we go to Spain Thank goodness I had visions of it costing us an absolute fortune phew. Talk to you later
Denise
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: need my usa car converted for SVA test

DGJ-- do have a look at Shropshire. _County Town -Shrewsbury ( bit more expensive) but Lots of country pubs, properties not too pricey.(www.rightmove.co.uk) if you wish, do a Google Earth, type in Telford, then zoom around and just look. Smashing very small town - SHIFNAL - on the outskirts of my town, of wellington. Lovely countryside, near to City Shops, and only 90 miles to the Welsh Coast! ask away if you need me - dontheturner
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:24 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all

We are trying to sell our Toyota Echo and having NO joy. We put it on at a low price but still not had any inquiries. We'll have to almost give it away it seems! That in mind we will be selling our SUV and tent trailer at the end of the year (Nov time) and I'm wondering if we are traveling through the US if we should just send it back. Is an SUV crazy to have in the UK? Not sure where we're going to live at this point but it won't be a city.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Hi all

Is an SUV crazy to have in the UK? Not sure where we're going to live at this point but it won't be a city.
If it's got a petrol engine - yes, unless you are an oil millionare and can afford to pay £1.17 a litre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.