Nearly Two Years update.

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nearly Two Years update.

Where the hell does the time go?

We've been back in the UK for nearly 2 years. When I last posted, I mentioned that I'd finally found a job. Unfortunately, the job wasn't as advertised. You cannot do the job of one and a half people in 36 hours a week. So, my contract wasn't renewed in October. We were back to struggling until the bank finally gave us an overdraft facility at the beginning of the year. Not ideal living on an overdraft but it helps.

Anyhow, I did eventually manage to find an ideal job. I am a self-employed editor, retained by an e-publisher. It's great, I work from home and, after three months 'probation' I am now paid a monthly retainer, rather than being paid by the word. I love it. It's crazy busy sometimes but it's better than sitting in a too-small office trying to reckon up the petty cash while answering phones, getting up every five minutes to answer the door, talk to any resident who happened to wander by, etc. etc.

Our son is doing really well at school...so far. Next year he starts his preparation for GCSEs. He's made friends and he's even decided he likes watching football. My husband is still in the same job. It's very hard work for 9 months of the year but it's a job and he loves working with racehorses.

I really don't miss the US. I miss my family but, thanks to Skype, we talk twice a week. It's not the same but it's better than nothing. I still love being here, even though it rains all the time. After 8 and a half years in the AZ desert, I never tire of the rain and never take it for granted.

All in all, it's taken a long time to find our feet and it's been a struggle sometimes, but there's no point in looking back. We came back at the right time and it's still good to be Home.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:20 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nearly Two Years update.

Originally Posted by geeandtee View Post

We've been back in the UK for nearly 2 years. When I last posted, I mentioned that I'd finally found a job. Unfortunately, the job wasn't as advertised. You cannot do the job of one and a half people in 36 hours a week. So, my contract wasn't renewed in October. We were back to struggling until the bank finally gave us an overdraft facility at the beginning of the year. Not ideal living on an overdraft but it helps.

Anyhow, I did eventually manage to find an ideal job. I am a self-employed editor, retained by an e-publisher. It's great, I work from home and, after three months 'probation' I am now paid a monthly retainer, rather than being paid by the word. I love it. It's crazy busy sometimes but it's better than sitting in a too-small office trying to reckon up the petty cash while answering phones, getting up every five minutes to answer the door, talk to any resident who happened to wander by, etc. etc.

Our son is doing really well at school...so far. Next year he starts his preparation for GCSEs. He's made friends and he's even decided he likes watching football. My husband is still in the same job. It's very hard work for 9 months of the year but it's a job and he loves working with racehorses.

I really don't miss the US. I miss my family but, thanks to Skype, we talk twice a week. It's not the same but it's better than nothing. I still love being here, even though it rains all the time. After 8 and a half years in the AZ desert, I never tire of the rain and never take it for granted.

All in all, it's taken a long time to find our feet and it's been a struggle sometimes, but there's no point in looking back. We came back at the right time and it's still good to be Home.
Wow two years! Time flies. Glad to hear it is all coming together for you and hope it carries on that way.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Hi geeandtee

It sounds like things are going well for you - you don't 'know' me but I have been lurking for ages and have had a look through your old posts. I'm curious about your work from home position, I saw a report from a council in the North West of England which said the total proportion of employed people working from home was something like 9%. I was kind of gobsmacked at how high it was! Did you deliberately look for a work from home position and if so did you have to go through a lot of duds/scams first?

Cheers

Almo
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo View Post
Hi geeandtee

It sounds like things are going well for you - you don't 'know' me but I have been lurking for ages and have had a look through your old posts. I'm curious about your work from home position, I saw a report from a council in the North West of England which said the total proportion of employed people working from home was something like 9%. I was kind of gobsmacked at how high it was! Did you deliberately look for a work from home position and if so did you have to go through a lot of duds/scams first?

Cheers

Almo
Hi Almo.

It was pure luck. I am a published author. (E-Pubs). I was bemoaning our impoverished state to my friend, who also happens to work for that publisher and she suggested that I write to the boss and ask if there was any editing work available. It just so happened that two editors had just left and they were looking for replacements. So, I took some tests and did pretty well so I was taken on as a Content Editor.

So, it was just being in the right place at the right time. I don't earn enough from my books so full time writing is out of the question. This position is just a perfect fit.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Glad that things are working out for you - I remember reading your posts and feeling so bad for you 2/3 years ago going through that traumatic time..

Just got back from a trip to Sedona, even though it was beautiful I have no idea how people cope with the heat and also the desolate landscape of most of Arizona.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, time does fly when you are having fun! Hard to believe you have been back that long (still, I've been back 10 months almost!).

Good to hear that things are falling into place and that you have some security and feeling that you are winning - you certainly didnt do it easy!!! Great news that your son has taken it all in his stride and is happy here too.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee View Post

Great news.....I have a similar outlook to you....no looking back (with fondest and not regret) and also we knew we would be taking small steps rather than hit the ground running, we have also been back for 2 years now (where does the time go) and in that time we have seen and done some wonderful things, it takes time just like anything else. All the best