Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Gap Payments and HMRC

National Insurance Gap Payments and HMRC

Old Mar 10th 2023, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Frankie0089 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National Insurance Gap Payments and HMRC

Hello all, I’m sure I’m not the only person currently stuck in the HMRC/ national insurance enquiries seventh circle of hell. My problem is I can’t verify my identity to use the online services as I don’t have two of the required documents. I only have one, a valid UK passport. I live in Florida so no UK address or photo card DL. My attempts to call the helpline (at great expense from the US) have been futile. Has anyone had success writing in, and if so, what information did you include? There are no real guidelines on their website. I’m aware the deadline has been shunted to July but i want to get this sorted as soon as possible. I know I have a gap and I actually want to pay them money lol. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Mar 11th 2023, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Insurance Gap Payments and HMRC

Lots of others are in your position-there's some useful info if you search past threads on the Personal Tax subforum and the Self-assessment subforum here: https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/
Old Mar 13th 2023, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Frankie0089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Lots of others are in your position-there's some useful info if you search past threads on the Personal Tax subforum and the Self-assessment subforum here: https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/
Thank you so much
Old Mar 13th 2023, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

My wife recently registered on-line. She had three choices: UK Passport, UK Driving License and Information from her Credit Record. She used the first and third and it worked, even though she has not lived in the UK since 2009

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Mar 13th 2023 at 7:28 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2023, 10:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
My wife recently registered on-line. She had three choices: UK Passport, UK Driving License and Information from her Credit Record. She used the first and third and it worked, even though she has not lived in the UK since 2009
But as you and I have discussed elsewhere, it seems to be entirely random as to which methods of identity verification you are offered. I have a fairly recently issued British passport, and yet between first trying to register on line several years ago, when I didn't have my passport to hand, and when I went back, passport in hand, to try again several years later, I found that the option to verify by passport was no longer available to me, but using my driving license was, despite my last UK licence being issued over 25 years ago!!!

Which of course I don't have available. And the verification offer was "pick two from this list" ... which by then only had two items.

So I was sçrewed in any case, but to the best of my memory, the other verification option wouldn't work for me either!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 13th 2023 at 10:10 pm.