My own reasons!

Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Gazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant future
Default My own reasons!

Hi to all, read the forums for a few years but felt like letting you all know my thoughts on moving out then moving back. We moved in 2001 to Ontario Canada for no reason other than wanting to try something different. We had no problem with UK education, health or anything it was just a matter of not wanting to regret not trying it.
So now after a few years We have decided to move back, why, because what I have given up is not worth what I have gained. That is my statement of the day. I have honestly weighed up all I get from being here and it dosn't make up for what I miss. people have told me that the UK is only a few hours on an plane but when you only get 10 days vacation this does not always work. My retired parents have seen more of Canada than me because my holidays are either with people visiting us or us visiting them.
Also dont kid yourself that e mail is a great way to send photographs etc. yes it is but it will never ever compare to you childrens interaction with their Grandparents, cousins etc when they are in each others company.
Canada is a great place to live and I have no problem with it at all however it is certainly not the garden of eden it is made out to be. I have been laid off once and my current company could only be described as shakey due to the US economy.
The simple fact is I honestly think I will be denying my children of soooooo much family stuff just by staying here, so thats it, we decided in Sept 2005 after months of discussion and will hope to be back this summer.
Any advice would be great!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My own reasons!

Originally Posted by Gazman111
Hi to all, read the forums for a few years but felt like letting you all know my thoughts on moving out then moving back. We moved in 2001 to Ontario Canada for no reason other than wanting to try something different. We had no problem with UK education, health or anything it was just a matter of not wanting to regret not trying it.
So now after a few years We have decided to move back, why, because what I have given up is not worth what I have gained. That is my statement of the day. I have honestly weighed up all I get from being here and it dosn't make up for what I miss. people have told me that the UK is only a few hours on an plane but when you only get 10 days vacation this does not always work. My retired parents have seen more of Canada than me because my holidays are either with people visiting us or us visiting them.
Also dont kid yourself that e mail is a great way to send photographs etc. yes it is but it will never ever compare to you childrens interaction with their Grandparents, cousins etc when they are in each others company.
Canada is a great place to live and I have no problem with it at all however it is certainly not the garden of eden it is made out to be. I have been laid off once and my current company could only be described as shakey due to the US economy.
The simple fact is I honestly think I will be denying my children of soooooo much family stuff just by staying here, so thats it, we decided in Sept 2005 after months of discussion and will hope to be back this summer.
Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you, I wish you well. It doesnt sound like you need any advice from us, most ask if they are doing the right thing whereas you know you are.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:30 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

I'm right there with you Gazman! Have sent you a PM as maybe we can help each other out on our way back to the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

L8.Scouser will become famous soon enoughL8.Scouser will become famous soon enough

That's interesting that the Canadians only get 10 days vacation, that's what I get here in Los Angeles. Difference is though I told them I needed 3 weeks vacation for when I need to go and visit home. So I usually take it unpaid after the 10 day's. It's a massive pain in the arse especially if you have bills to pay - you really can't afford to not work living here in LA.

I'm moving back to Liverpool sometime in 2007, just in time for the Capital of Culture party.

JAJ has been helping me out in another forums as the best way to execute a move home.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:39 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by L8.Scouser
That's interesting that the Canadians only get 10 days vacation, that's what I get here in Los Angeles. Difference is though I told them I needed 3 weeks vacation for when I need to go and visit home. So I usually take it unpaid after the 10 day's. It's a massive pain in the arse especially if you have bills to pay - you really can't afford to not work living here in LA.

I'm moving back to Liverpool sometime in 2007, just in time for the Capital of Culture party.

JAJ has been helping me out in another forums as the best way to execute a move home.
My new Job in the UK (south coast) gives 28 days paid annual leave, plus paternity leave, public holidays, sick leave, etc. The UK is lucky with regard to time off for recreation.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

L8.Scouser will become famous soon enoughL8.Scouser will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
My new Job in the UK (south coast) gives 28 days paid annual leave, plus paternity leave, public holidays, sick leave, etc. The UK is lucky with regard to time off for recreation.
Yeah it's great, I've tried telling my co workers here about that but they simply cannot comprehend how the country could still function. I used to get 4 weeks paid in my hotel job back in Liverpool but over the years (living here) I've come to question as to wether that it actually happend lol.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Well.....my advice is this....

Check out the posts by Calle who recently returned to the UK. She did it in style!

Calle was living in Florida with her family and pets. It's very expensive to fly pets back to the UK (plus worries about the stress for her dog). So they phoned up Cunard and got the most fantastic rate for a family quad room on the new Queen Mary 2 (QM2) transatlantic passenger cruise ship. It was about US $800 so truly not that much more than flying plus you get luxury accommodation and food for 7 days....The ship leaves from New York city which isn't really that far from Ontario (Calle's family drove up the coast from Florida).

Could be a wonderful lifelong memory and a great way to return to the UK? It might not appeal but it's worth checking out.....they didn't get their rate online but by contacting Cunard by phone...do read her posts on this board...and yes she's loving it in the UK too!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Gazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by L8.Scouser

Well I spoke with my old boss and he offered me my job back. 25 days off plus 8 bank holidays. Im sorry but North America cannot compare with Europe for paid holidays. Add to that 15 pounds to fly to Majorca and Im on my way home.
Things like taking Friday + Monday off to go away is just not possible with 10 floating days! Thats 20% of your whole years allowance for a long weekend! Add in a couple of afternoons to pick people up from the airport etc.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Englishmum]Well.....my advice is this....

Check out the posts by Calle who recently returned to the UK. She did it in style!

Yes I saw that it does sound a great way to do it. Watch Southhampton appearing over the horizon and all that.
I assume there is no luggage restrictions either? That would certainly be handy. Hard to get everything into a 20kg case!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

well my advice is...
you dont need much as you sound convinced of what you want and have valid reasons there...so go for it, be happy and call on the knowledgeable ones on this forum who've already moved back to help you with the reverse culture shock you may experience.
you are doing the right thing..be happy!
and if you go back by boat, calle will have to start asking for money from the ship for all these people shes inspired so she may be on to a good earner at this rate!
take care
c
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:07 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

The simple truth (which is why we are heading back as well)! Some people don't see things like this, but I'm with you 100%. Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My own reasons!

[QUOTE=Gazman111]
Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well.....my advice is this....

Yes I saw that it does sound a great way to do it. Watch Southhampton appearing over the horizon and all that.
I assume there is no luggage restrictions either? That would certainly be handy. Hard to get everything into a 20kg case!
Too true. Calle said that there are absolutely no restrictions on luggage - as many cases and as heavy as you like.....don't think I'd take things like sofas and beds though LOL!

Here are the links all about the QM2 crossing (with links within the links too....you will need to read through the posts):

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344267

Calle's description of her experience onboard:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341555
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:37 pm

OK - here are the crossing dates from New York to Southampton on the QM2 for 2006:

http://www.seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm (just scroll down a bit - it's a UK site but it's definitely listed).
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:08 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Gazman111]

Good luck to you, follow yor heart on this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.