Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

My house is going to be on the telly!!!

My house is going to be on the telly!!!

Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My house is going to be on the telly!!!

Open For Inspection - Invitation For Theft

Reports of burglary and theft associated with property inspections conducted by real estate agents indicate that thieves are relying on estate agents to provide easy access homeowners' valuables.

Thieves no longer have to rely on jemmy bars to gain access to homes. Estate agents are providing easy access to valuables for clever thieves who "shop on the internet" for theft opportunities.

According the Sydney Morning Herald:
"The topic of theft - and specifically thieves using open houses, virtual tours and floor plans to steal goods from people's properties - has been an ongoing issue within the industry since the rape and murder of Melbourne selling agent Lorelle Makin last September."
(The Sydney Morning Herald "Safe as house inspections" Domain p.8)

What's the real estate industry's reaction? Estate agents are now being advised to include a clause in contracts with their vendor clients that indemnifies the agent against theft or damage during a property inspection.

We believe it's time to take estate agents and thieves out of vendors' homes!

http://www.australianrealestateblog....state_blog.asp

Another link that gives food for thought with view of personal security.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...html?from=top5
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Open For Inspection - Invitation For Theft

http://lawyersrealestate.com.au/blog...ert-777061.bmpReports of burglary and theft associated with property inspections conducted by real estate agents indicate that thieves are relying on estate agents to provide easy access homeowners' valuables.

Thieves no longer have to rely on jemmy bars to gain access to homes. Estate agents are providing easy access to valuables for clever thieves who "shop on the internet" for theft opportunities.
http://www.lawyersrealestate.com.au/...ar1-706226.JPG
According the Sydney Morning Herald:
"The topic of theft - and specifically thieves using open houses, virtual tours and floor plans to steal goods from people's properties - has been an ongoing issue within the industry since the rape and murder of Melbourne selling agent Lorelle Makin last September."
(The Sydney Morning Herald "Safe as house inspections" Domain p.8)

What's the real estate industry's reaction? Estate agents are now being advised to include a clause in contracts with their vendor clients that indemnifies the agent against theft or damage during a property inspection.

We believe it's time to take estate agents and thieves out of vendors' homes!

http://www.australianrealestateblog....state_blog.asp

Another link that gives food for thought with view of personal security.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...html?from=top5
I hate the whole open home thing that they do here, I intend to be present during all home opens & will follow people around if necessary.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:15 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lil_ol_wine_drinker_me
I hate the whole open home thing that they do here, I intend to be present during all home opens & will follow people around if necessary.
I agree. We told the real estate agent we weren't comfortable with home opens. She said that they only tend to generate contacts anyway and you are more likely to sell your house through internet and newspaper adverts.
Mind you, saying that, my house is still forsale!
Please someone buy my effing house!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by Treacle Tart
I agree. We told the real estate agent we weren't comfortable with home opens. She said that they only tend to generate contacts anyway and you are more likely to sell your house through internet and newspaper adverts.
Mind you, saying that, my house is still forsale!
Please someone buy my effing house!!!!
I think the best person to sell a house is the one that lives in it currently, you have all the info on what happens in your area, know what the neighbours are like (well am sure they look nice enough as they whizz past you in the car after driving out of their remote controlled garage door), you know what schools are in the area etc
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:29 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

I think the best person to sell a house is the one that lives in it currently, you have all the info on what happens in your area, know what the neighbours are like (well am sure they look nice enough as they whizz past you in the car after driving out of their remote controlled garage door), you know what schools are in the area etc
Very true. We had someone view the house yesterday, but through a different agent to our own. This agent had never been in my house before yet expected to show her client round without me being there.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Home Selling Tips-Security In recent years estate agents have seen an increase in assaults on them and are now aware of the need to protect themselves from criminals posing as homebuyers. They now try to adhere to a set of safety guidelines.
Their personal safety rules include, only showing homes in teams, making colleagues aware of their schedule, calling the office regularly and even making photocopies of prospective buyer's driver-licenses.
With this knowledge in mind, you too need to protect yourself, when selling your home on your own.
Selling-Home-Security Here are some tips to keep yourself and your possessions safe, when selling your home on your own:-
  • Examine your situation and decide which safety practices are best for you.
  • Before agreeing to an appointment to view your home, question callers carefully e.g. name, present address and telephone number. Where employed? Why they wish to buy there? Do they have a family in the area? Any children? Ask questions until you feel confident with the prospective buyer.
  • Prior to the showing, confirm the details provided e.g. make a return call to the given phone number, or send an e-mail.
  • Do not let unannounced visitors into your home until you have verified information they have given. If you are alone in the house, ask them to come back later when others are at home, or request that they make a future appointment with you.
  • Always have at least two people present when showing your property.
  • Allow buyers to enter a room first, while you stay near the door so that you can escape if necessary.
  • If you have to show your home when alone, keep a mobile phone with you so that if you are in danger of an attack, you can easily call 911 for help. If you need to escape from someone, run from the house to your car or a neighbour’s house. Remember, your life is more important than property.
  • Warn your children, even if they are more mature, not to let anyone into the house unless you are present, as they could be putting themselves at risk.
  • Virtual tours and photographs of rooms in your home may put you at risk, do not display valuable objects in any room, which may attract criminals to target your home.
  • Prepare for the viewing by securing handbags, wallets, credit cards, passports and any other small items of value, which could easily be stolen while your attention is distracted. Avoid wearing expensive jewellery or watches.
  • Inform neighbours that you are selling your home and ask them to let you know if they have seen anyone around the house when you are out.
Burglars do pose as potential buyers and take advantage of a viewing, to size up properties for targeting later.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:44 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

The way of selling a home is so different here in Perth compared to England. I don't like the idea of 'Home open', but the agents push people to have them as they want to get as many people through as possible. Having one agent sitting in the kitchen while people are walking all around your home is a recipe for grief if you ask me. There was one in our street recently and their were droves of people in and out for 2 hours, with only one agent in the house. It was like Piccadilly Circus outside with a constant stream of cars coming and going. There is no way in the world that agent could guarantee the security of that home and possesions. Friends of ours had a couple of their sons PS2 games stolen, an expensive bottle of perfume and a clock. It would be virtually impossible to lock everything away, so I'd certainly be against it myself.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Mar 20th 2007 at 2:01 am.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
The way of selling a home is so different here in Perth compared to England. I don't like the idea of 'Home open', but the agents push people to have them as they want to get as many people through as possible. Having one agent sitting in the kitchen while people are walking all around your home is a recipe for grief if you ask me. There was one in our street recently and their were droves of people in and out for 2 hours, with only one agent in the house. It was like Piccadilly Circus outside with a constant stream of cars coming and going. There is no way in the world that agent could guarantee the security of that home and possesions. Friends of ours had a couple of their sons PS2 games stolen, an expensive bottle of perfume a clock. It would be virtually impossible to lock everything away, so I'd certainly be against it myself.
I think you would just have to mill around the house pretending to be a buyer aswell & just keep an eye on all of your stuff - do the House Doctor thing and remove all personal things and have it looking like a showhome. Wonder if they would allow you to frisk everyone on their way out? Maybe add that into the real estate agents contract.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:04 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would just have to mill around the house pretending to be a buyer aswell & just keep an eye on all of your stuff - do the House Doctor thing and remove all personal things and have it looking like a showhome. Wonder if they would allow you to frisk everyone on their way out? Maybe add that into the real estate agents contract.
When and if we sell (it's a bone of contention at the mo'), I would have viewing by app't only, might even try to sell it myself without an agent.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

I was lucky when I sold my house in Oz, I was living in another State, and the Real Estate agent sold the house empty within a month, so thankfully I didn't have hordes of nosey people walking around. Not that it would have mattered as there was nothing to nick. Nowadays I would sell my house myself, wherever I am, I haven't been that impressed with the Real Estate agents I've met when I was a buyer and advertising it myself in the papers or on the internet would be much cheaper than paying their commissions. Plus I could vet them more myself.