Wikiposts

My Dilemma

Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Dilemma

Originally Posted by hereandthere
The quiet roads? The free and plentiful parking?
have you ever actually been to Sydney or Brisbane?

If you had you would not make such stupid staements.

Where, anywhere near central Brisbane or Sydney, is there free and plentiful parking or quiet roads?

....and I doubt if the other major cities are any different.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

As for UK produce coming from third world countries?? Utter rubbish! Yes, we might have to get bananas and other such tropical fruit and stuff not readily available in UK, we have no choice in that. He has obviously not done a lot of supermarket shopping in UK lately.
This guy is simply trolling.

Ironic isn't it that the Iconic "Australian" BBQ food is prawns and most of them are imported from the Far east.. notably Vietnam
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

The real shocker for Brits is how much food and energy is going to cost there in 18 months' time when sterling bottoms out. Man alive you gotta see that one coming though, right? I mean buying food that has been imported on $200 a barrel oil, and paying for it with a pound worth half what it is now? You're going to be paying about £45 for a bunch of bananas soon.
Sterling bottomed out back in December 2008 against the Euro. Since then it has made a steady recovery before stagnating once out again, but the exchange rate is still far higher than it was back in December 2008. Or do you think Sterling will plummet once again?

I work in a business, which brings in clients from all over and not just from Europe. The main currency though is the Euro and 50% of peoples monies are in this currency, but the other 50% are usually in Sterling, Swiss Francs, Swedish Kronor, Norweigen Kroner and Russian Rubles etc. Most from time to time, usually complain about about their currency and its exchange rate along with prices in their own countries. The clients from the UK, complain no more than say someone from Sweden, point being, the current economic crisis has huge amounts of people seeing the grass greener elsewhere regardless of the country that they are from.

I`ve read a lot of stuff about the Australian economy on these threads, the good and the bad, but I imagine that its no probably no better than most other first world countries in this respect.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:03 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
This guy is simply trolling.

Ironic isn't it that the Iconic "Australian" BBQ food is prawns and most of them are imported from the Far east.. notably Vietnam
Oh i know.. its pretty obvious he's trolling, he doesnt actually answer the points he knows are correct but drifts off in another direction, but i'm bored this morning, meds playing me, up so i am stuck at home
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:10 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say. London's reputation is sinking faster than the Lusitania! It also shares the dubious distinction currently enjoyed by a lot of Russian cities in that it is one of the few cities that is actually depopulating. What can be London's future but less of a city than it has been? It can't get better, can it? London and New York are yesterday's global cities. Tomorrow's are Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai.
London depopulating!!! Are you sure?

I`ll agree that the new financial centres of the future will most likely be out in the far east, but London and New York will always be the melting pots of the western world and therefore will always maintain their positions along with Paris as the three most important cities of the western world.

As for how a city improves itself, well that depends on certain criteria and being an economic centre is just one of them.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:12 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Oh i know.. its pretty obvious he's trolling, he doesnt actually answer the points he knows are correct but drifts off in another direction
Its actually called clever debate, a ploy constantly used by politicians everywhere on a daily basis. Admittedly, things like honesty and integrity go out the door.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: My Dilemma

It can't get better, can it? London and New York are yesterday's global cities. Tomorrow's are Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai.
Well, I'm living in Singapore (also live in New Jersey) and it is extremely expensive to live here; being an island with no natural resources almost all food is imported and land/housing prices extortionate. Cars are the most expensive in the world here due to high taxation, although I see loads of Ferraris, Lamborghini's and Maserati's around, driven by the wealthy Chinese.

The price of dairy products is outrageous (no cows here) and a pack of 4 small pots of Activia yoghurts costs - depending on flavour - between S$17 (GBP 7.23) and S$19 (8 pounds) - a Singapore dollar is very close to the Aussie $.

A UBS cost of living report came out a couple of weeks ago and Zurich is the most expensive city to live in, and Singapore is very high on the list too.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:38 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well, I'm living in Singapore (also live in New Jersey) and it is extremely expensive to live here; being an island with no natural resources almost all food is imported and land/housing prices extortionate. Cars are the most expensive in the world here due to high taxation, although I see loads of Ferraris, Lamborghini's and Maserati's around, driven by the wealthy Chinese.

The price of dairy products is outrageous (no cows here) and a pack of 4 small pots of Activia yoghurts costs - depending on flavour - between S$17 (GBP 7.23) and S$19 (8 pounds) - a Singapore dollar is very close to the Aussie $.

A UBS cost of living report came out a couple of weeks ago and Zurich is the most expensive city to live in, and Singapore is very high on the list too.
Most Swiss cities always come out high on these polls, I can tell you, that most Swiss that live near the French and German borders usually shop in those countries.

Eating out in Switzerland is not so expensive if you know where to go.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:01 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

I think people can like Australia for other reasons than the weather though, and this simplification is inaccurate and a little bit churlish. Yes, the weather is better and you get more land and house for your money, but there are other reasons. What about the amazing wildlife and scenery? The quiet roads? The free and plentiful parking? The absence of government spy cameras everywhere? What about the fact it has self-determination and the men and women you vote for actually run the country? How about the national pride in contrast to the tiresome self-loathing of the British? I think you are being too hard on Australia because you are trying to justify your decision to leave it.
Surely these examples (at least) are TOTALLY dependent on WHERE in Australia you are?!

This is hardly possible when I have not yet made a decision to leave it. And in any case, are there not PLENTY of people who are overly complimentary and effusive about Australia simply because they are there right now?!??! Possibly including your good self??!??!?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:06 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

I think people can like Australia for other reasons than the weather though, and this simplification is inaccurate and a little bit churlish. Yes, the weather is better and you get more land and house for your money, but there are other reasons. What about the amazing wildlife and scenery? The quiet roads? The free and plentiful parking? The absence of government spy cameras everywhere? What about the fact it has self-determination and the men and women you vote for actually run the country? How about the national pride in contrast to the tiresome self-loathing of the British? I think you are being too hard on Australia because you are trying to justify your decision to leave it.
Do you really believe that the ''democratic'' system of Australia is really inherently more ''democratic'' than the ''democratic'' system of the UK? Do Australians really have more say in their country's affairs than British people do in theirs?? Was there a referendum in Australia about support for the war on terror? If Australia were to introduce an ID cards system, would the Australian people be given more say in that than British people?

Far from me seeking to run down Australia and promote the UK, I think you are a little too generous and glowing and trusting in your assessment of Australia.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:13 pm
Banned

hereandthere is absolutely convinced that all the world's evils are more evil when they happen in the UK.

There was an article on A Current Affair, supported by an article in The Age, about how Australian produce is sold abroad cheaper than it is sold to Australians. It also mentioned how much produce (a lot) is sold in Australia that is actually from all kinds of countries and it is not necessarily at all clear from the labelling and packaging that that is the case. Naive shoppers assume it is Australian.

Australian produce is not always produced in very good conditions (in terms of soil) and so even ''fresh'' Australian produce is not necessarily that good.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future
Smile Re: My Dilemma

We came back to UK in April. I can honestly say that all the doom and gloom peddled about the UK has affected us very very little. OH has secured a good job and is STILL being hassled by recruiters for other jobs. So unemployment doesnt touch our radar thankfully. Not saying its like that for everyone, but to blanket the whole UK job market as gloomy is untrue. It depends what you do.
The recession is actually saving us money and giving us the opportunity to buy up new goods on the cheap!!
Bought a fabulous 40 inch full HD Samsung TV last week for less than half the price it is in Aus!
I agree 100% we returned in March and we are happier than we have ever been.

I am really looking forward to the dark witner evenings and curling up in OUR NEW HOUSE which we have exchanged contracts on and move into 17th September.

I also work in recruitment and I have seen thigns picking up over the last month and I have also found a lot of the doom and gloom is just people repeating what other small minded people are saying!

Its all about positive thinking and taking opportunities that come up! We were so unhappy in Oz that we decided we were coming home no matter what and if we both had to work night shift in sainsburys - we didnt care!

Good luck with everything!

Claire
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:10 am
born to be mild

mazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
I just got back from a month in the UK and would be back there in a flash given the opportunity. The doom and gloom is a fiction created by the media and adopted by people who have never lived anywhere else so have nothing to measure it again. They don't realise how lucky they are.

I read an interesting article on this site once that advised one to consider the reason one left in the first place before considering a return. Do these reasons still apply? If so, then it's highly unlikely that going back is the answer. If they don't then seriously consider it.

For us the reasons for leaving was for my husband to find a new job in his field and to be able to afford to buy a house. We couldn't consider going back until these are resolved no matter how much we miss it. But our day will come and then we'll be back faster than you can say 'cup-a-tea and a slice of cake'.
your not still on about the cake thing are you?how was the drive with the dogs?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
Any advice or general words of wisdom?
My son has just returned from Australia. He said the more he saw of Australia, the more it made him realise what a great place England is. He even tried living in different places in Oz, but said that Australia is boring.

He was shocked to find how expensive it is in Oz, yet the wages were much lower. He was earning nearly half of his London wage yet was doing the same job, although they worked at a much slower pace in Oz.

He too made a comment about how Brits would crowd into a bar to watch the real sport.

Perhaps the aussie life style suits older people more?

Last edited by formula; Sep 9th 2009 at 5:25 am.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by formula

Perhaps the aussie life style suits older people more?
Not this older person

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.